Do The Bills Have Enough "Elite" Talent?

43 minutes ago, papazoid said:

define "elite" ??  top 5 ??....top 10 in league at their position ?

Josh Top 2 ( i say #1, mahomes just on better team & coaching))

Milano Top 5

Diggs Top 10 (add a legit wr2 and would push Top 5 again)

Rousseau Top 15 (don't sleep on his all around play)

Rasul Top 15

Taron Top 20

Von Top 25 ( i sure hope so, gotta get healthy)

Epenesa Top 30 (will be breakout player of 2024)

Oliver Top 30 (had his best season yet in 2023, run def needs to be better)

Ed Oliver is top 10 and he is closer to 5 than 10. After Allen (and finger crossed Milano) the next two closest to elite are Oliver and Taron unless Stef gets back to his best. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Do the Chefs have enough elite talent to win?  I count Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones as elite.  Thats it

They’ve won two super bowls in a row. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say “yes.”

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Do the Chefs have enough elite talent to win?  I count Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones as elite.  Thats it

And apparently that's enough to keep winning SB's......i only count JA on our roster as elite.

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2024 at 6:54 PM, BillsFan130 said:

Comparing to the chiefs and 49ers the 2 SB teams, here's how I'm going to categorize as elite:

-Made 1st team/2nd all pro last year

-Top 3/4 at position. (For example, Josh and Mahomes are elite even though they didn't get voted all pros)

So for the bills I got 3 players but technically only 2 last year cause the Milano injury.

-Josh, Milano, Taron. 

Chiefs: 7 players 

-Mahomes, Kelce, thuney, humphries, C Jones, Mcduffie, Sneed

49ers: Hufanga got hurt so technically 7 players

-Mccafery, Aiyuk, T Williams, Kittle, Bosa, Warner, Hufanga, Chardavious Ward

(I didn't include their fullback)

So in the playoffs if you factor in injuries, bills had 2 "elite" players based on the all pro selection/my opinion.

Chiefs 7

And 49ers 7 with the Hufanga injury.

While the bills have a lot of good to very good players, I really think they are missing some game breakers on this team.

What do you guys think?

I think Taron Johnson has become the most overrated player on the team. He is a very good slot corner, but he isn't a game changer. He completely forgot how to get inside leverage multiple times this season and was embarrassed by TEs. In the loss to the Patriots it didn't even look like he was trying. I'm glad he is here, but nobody is scared of a defense because their slot corner is good. 

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thuney is 100% elite. There is no question about that. Then I think McDuffie (as a slot) and Humphrey at center have a shout too. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ed Oliver is top 10 and he is closer to 5 than 10. After Allen (and finger crossed Milano) the next two closest to elite are Oliver and Taron unless Stef gets back to his best. 

I think Elite is more measured as 150 players in the league in terms of impact. Going by position would imply having the leagues best center and 15th best wr is as valuable as having the best wr and 15th best center.   And some players transcend positional value. McCafferty is an elite player at a position 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Thuney is 100% elite. There is no question about that. Then I think McDuffie (as a slot) and Humphrey at center have a shout too. 

They also have elite coaching

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

They’ve had multiple defensive players step up over the years. It’s what the Bills have been missing. Hopefully they can get some luck though because the last 2 playoffs they’ve been hit with injuries on defense. It’s part of the game but they do need some luck.

Also our coaching staff just isn’t on their level. Reid and Spags are elite.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think Elite is more measured as 150 players in the league in terms of impact. Going by position would imply having the leagues best center and 15th best wr is as valuable as having the best wr and 15th best center.   And some players transcend positional value. McCafferty is an elite player at a position 

I take your point on the position element but I'd also say there is a considerably bigger gap between the best center and the 15th best than the best WR and the 15th best. That is just the nature of the game at high school and college level now. There are more uber talented players coming into the league at receiver than any other position. I think there is a legitimate argument that if you look over the last decade corner might be second in that list too. It is now an outside the numbers game as players progress up the pipleline. I think elite lineman are so valuable now because I think there are fewer. 

No doubt the Chiefs have elite coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we really need 1 or 2 more elite players, which is why I am advocating for team move way up in the draft in for elite WR. 

We are one WR, and one DB/Safety away from being elite.

Offense - Josh, Diggs, Cook, Kinkaid, WR2 is a very solid group

Defense- Oliver, Jones, Bernard, Milano, ( maybe Von if he returns to form), one more stud in the secondary, and cant forget Rousseau

All those guys aren't elite but they are at least very good players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen is elite. Stef is elite (But may or may not be declining.)

I think we have less elite individuals but we do have some elite groups. I think the TE and LB rooms are elite even if neither would have an individual who would be considered "elite" (maybe Milano). I think Poyer and Hyde were an elite pairing but not elite individuals. 

Edited by Mango
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Elite coaching is probably the biggest difference between the Bills and Chiefs. Reid is way more experienced and a really innovative offensive mind who is sprinkling in a lot of creative plays within a really solid offensive package of plays. 

McDermott is a defensive guy. Say what you will, but defensive minds don't effect modern football as much as offensive ones. The defense is inherently reactive. This puts us at a disadvantage. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

McDuffie is an all-pro nickel.  Joe Thuney is an all-pro guard.  Creed Humphrey is among the best centers in football.  

Beyond those other 3... there are a lot of "good" players

Bolton and gay are very good linebackers.  Karlaftis has already come along and become a pretty good contributor.  Sneeds everything you need in a corner to run a blitz heavy defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pete said:

Snead is a Top 5 corner. 

Prior to him ascending, they had Tyreek Hill.  

They’ve always had four elite guys.   Even if you want to go with three… what’s your point?  That they have 3 to our 1?

(Dont you dare say Diggs)

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Snead is a Top 5 corner. 

Prior to him ascending, they had Tyreek Hill.  

They’ve always had four elite guys.   Even if you want to go with three… what’s your point?  That they have 3 to our 1?

(Dont you dare say Diggs)

But we have like 30-40 Cam Lewis’s where they have a bunch of rookies and castoffs. How has that worked for them? Oh wait. 

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Josh Allen is elite. Stef is elite (But may or may not be declining.)

I think we have less elite individuals but we do have some elite groups. I think the TE and LB rooms are elite even if neither would have an individual who would be considered "elite" (maybe Milano). I think Poyer and Hyde were an elite pairing but not elite individuals. 

Elite players step up in big playoff games. 

Kelce does. 

Jones does. 

Snead does. 

Hill did. 

Diggs does not.   And he’s the only non-JA on our team even close to the conversation 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2