Buffalo Gets 4th round comp pick

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Brutal for any trade up thoughts 

Given the idea we were likely going to trade around the board, this decision by the NFL basically takes away a draft pick from us. 

It’s going to take two early day 3 picks to even get back to the arbitrary draft pick value they decided, for whatever reason, to not give us.  

• Agree 1

It's mystifying. Edmunds was the fourth highest-paid LB last year and received the fifth biggest contract in FA in 2023. 

Is it all based on position? If so, LB is below D-line, o-line, WR, and QB in terms of AAV paid. The fact that the Bengals only got sixths for losing two top-level safeties suggestions that positional worth might be a factor. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Did any other teams have lower picks than expected, or just the Bills?

Bengals got only sixths for the two very good safeties they lost. I am starting to think that overall positional value plays a role. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m telling ya, it’s the “smoking man” 

y’all just think it’s TV, but its real homey…, 

• Like (+1) 3

It's ridiculous that this isn't known way sooner. Teams are making plans, signing free agents, etc, based on incomplete info that could easily be provided earlier. 

The Bills now have a late 1st round pick, a late 2nd round pick, and nine picks that are essentially 5th round or later (the 4th rounders are picks #129 and #133), basically the equivalent of picking at the top of the 5th. This is in a draft that most experts say is top heavy and falls off a cliff after the first three rounds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now I would really like Beane to trade down in Round 1 if possible, even to the top of Round 2 if needed. The realistic WR targets there - Coleman, Franklin, Legette - are likely still going to be available a few picks later. Get a 3rd rounder if at all possible.

Also with all of these day 3 picks in our bag I would actually use all of them, don't be tempted to trade them away to move up the board. We need the bottom of our roster to get a lot cheaper and start maximizing the value of day 3 rookie contracts. If we plan it right we will be able to make one splash signing in FA because we won't have all our money tied up in overpaid rotational/depth players.

This makes sense especially if the Bills are targeting WR with their first pick.  They could drop down a few slots, recoup a 3rd round pick and still have a nice selection of WR targets.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Depends on how high they want to move up.  Could throw in next year's 3rd...less valuable but still 

Well, you are right that they could.  I don’t think that would be smart business.  With the state of the defense, they will probably be picking earlier in each round next year.  I would not trade that away.