Is anything being done about injury prevention?

In 2023 we had terrible injury luck ... and also a very old team.

In 2022 we had one of the luckiest teams in the league for injury luck.

In 2021 we had one of the luckiest teams in the league for injury luck.

We had our star QB for every single game the past 5 seasons, which no other team has had.

We had our star WR for every single game the past 4 years, minus one in 2020.

This is a very lucky, healthy team despite many old veterans. We just got some back luck last year.

What do we do? Get younger and pray. There's nothing else wrong.

• Like (+1) 2

We did get some player insight into this topic with the release of the players’ grading their own organizations.

The Bills performed well in these grades overall, but one area that has lagged behind for multiple seasons now has been that the Bills players seem to feel that the team’s training department is understaffed.

That would seem to be related to some degree with injuries or at least recovering from injuries.

I wonder if this is something that would change with the new stadium and the space that will be added.

McDermott gave an inspiring speech about how the Mujahadeen prepared to drive the soviets out of Afghanistan (stretching was critical. Also stinger missiles) and announced that injuries are a cuttable offense in 2024.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

confirmed another case of someones gut feeling/ excuses with no useful factual information. 

For instance, for 2022 when the Bills were supposedly had an epidemic of injuries (your words)...the Bills were actually had among the least games lost due to injury.  

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNFL/status/1613667261696319489/photo/1

Numbers don't tell the full story here.

It is true very few games missed on offense. I think the only starters to miss time were Knox and Davis and those were only a handful of games.

On defense they lost arguably their best player at each level of the defense. Losing Milano 13 games plus playoffs was heartbreaking. Add the cluster of injuries at the LB spot and the impact was felt.

All that said, and as you point out overall as a team they were healthy especially on offense. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Numbers don't tell the full story here.

It is true very few games missed on offense. I think the only starters to miss time were Knox and Davis and those were only a handful of games.

On defense they lost arguably their best player at each level of the defense. Losing Milano 13 games plus playoffs was heartbreaking. Add the cluster of injuries at the LB spot and the impact was felt.

All that said, and as you point out overall as a team they were healthy especially on offense. 

That was 23 the chart i posted was for 22.  I just think the injuries are overblown.  Because tte white was injured we end up with a hetter player.  Lineal Joseph helped fill the void at dr before jones came back.   Milano was a huge loss.  But when someone throws around “epidemic” when it is not true it needs to be questioned.  The offense was super healthy last year, priobably as good as you could hope as you spelled out.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That was 23 the chart i posted was for 22.  I just think the injuries are overblown.  Because tte white was injured we end up with a hetter player.  Lineal Joseph helped fill the void at dr before jones came back.   Milano was a huge loss.  But when someone throws around “epidemic” when it is not true it needs to be questioned.  The offense was super healthy last year, priobably as good as you could hope as you spelled out.  

Agree. White getting hurt is a plus and a minus. Douglas looks good and is far cheaper. That said White was playing well to start the year. 

Injuries just give the McD supporters an excuse. He had defensive collapses in the past with healthy squads too. 

I would start by firing our stale trainers. Find some fresh, innovative trainers that are cutting edge in nutrition, working out and stretching. Most soft tissue injuries are avoidable.  Go from there. Way too many injuries year after year. 

WRT the original question, there's a rumor that the Bills are working with Mark Kelso to see if they can translate his proprietary Gazoo helmet technology to pad and uniform design. Here's a prototype...

2021011723478-400x600.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, transient said:

WRT the original question, there's a rumor that the Bills are working with Mark Kelso to see if they can translate his proprietary Gazoo helmet technology to pad and uniform design. Here's a prototype...

2021011723478-400x600.jpg

Do not pull his finger.

9 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

And how was our defense in the Divisional Round?  I seem to recall losing starters in all three levels of defense, and attrition from there.  Not to mention I think three players (punter included) getting injured in the Wild Card the week before.

In 2022 we lost Von Miller, who was playing fantastic, Tre and Milano.  Knox, I think?  Oh, and of course, we had a player outright die on the field.  Allen, while playing all games, did not look the same at all after injuring his elbow in the Green Bay game.

This isn't a thread I made to lament injuries though.  It was simply an honest question of, is the organization doing anything to try and cut back on these injuries, and is there even anything that could be done?  That's all.

14 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Can you post some data that backs this up?  I believe this to be a completely false statement.

It is, every team in the NFL has had major injuries. Cleveland was absolutely devastated with injuries this year. 

20 hours ago, The Red King said:

Just curious if those in the know, know if Buffalo is changing anything about their conditioning program.  Yes, every team has injuries, but Buffalo was absolutely crippled by them, both in number and the quality of player taken down.  And it's been two seasons in a row now.

To be clear, I'm asking seriously.  I'm no doc, or that knowledgable about the specifics of the different injuries or how teams handle this kind of stuff.  I know it's been bad luck, and I honestly don't know if there is anything we could change/improve to try and help cut down on them.

I think this team can go all the way, and would hate to see a third straight season sniped by yet another epidemic of injuries.

I hope we're not playing overseas this year.  And I'm not thrilled we're at Detroit again.  Hope their turf doesn't claim more victims. >.>

My source said these will be under the Bills uniforms...

Fun Soccer GIF by Roanoke College

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

And how was our defense in the Divisional Round?  I seem to recall losing starters in all three levels of defense, and attrition from there.  Not to mention I think three players (punter included) getting injured in the Wild Card the week before.

In 2022 we lost Von Miller, who was playing fantastic, Tre and Milano.  Knox, I think?  Oh, and of course, we had a player outright die on the field.  Allen, while playing all games, did not look the same at all after injuring his elbow in the Green Bay game.

This isn't a thread I made to lament injuries though.  It was simply an honest question of, is the organization doing anything to try and cut back on these injuries, and is there even anything that could be done?  That's all.

Don't forget Hyde's neck injury that took him out for most of the 2022 season, with Poyer battling injuries off & on as well.

21 hours ago, The Red King said:

Just curious if those in the know, know if Buffalo is changing anything about their conditioning program.  Yes, every team has injuries, but Buffalo was absolutely crippled by them, both in number and the quality of player taken down.  And it's been two seasons in a row now.

To be clear, I'm asking seriously.  I'm no doc, or that knowledgable about the specifics of the different injuries or how teams handle this kind of stuff.  I know it's been bad luck, and I honestly don't know if there is anything we could change/improve to try and help cut down on them.

I think this team can go all the way, and would hate to see a third straight season sniped by yet another epidemic of injuries.

I hope we're not playing overseas this year.  And I'm not thrilled we're at Detroit again.  Hope their turf doesn't claim more victims. >.>

Not in the know, but they're absolutely changing things. The staff is studying the journals from their fields of specialization, they're attending conferences, they're doing professional development, and they will doubtless mix what they learn in with the current program.

Beyond that, there are probably not huge changes going on. If they are shown to be necessary, they would be made, but I don't think anyone feels that the program has any problems.

What is generally found about injuries is simply that they go up and down year to year, even in the best strength, conditioning and injury prevention problems. It's the way of things. And injuries happen more as teams get older.

Last year there were a ton of injuries, the year before not so many but the ones we had were to important players. The year before that we were spectacularly healthy, and the year before that not quite as spectacularly so, but quite healthy. With the same staff.

This is well within normal variability.

They haven't changed any staff, at least that I've seen. There isn't a need.

You're right that they made a mistake with the timing of the flight on the overseas trip. Hopefully they will learn from that.

The injuries really did rip the heart out of this season. It was a huge factor, particularly in late season performance. Hopefully our youth movement should help. Older people do tend to have more injuries and take longer to heal.

Have a great offseason.

Edited by Thurman#1