Von Miller takes pay cut

7 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I don't want to hear one time this season that Von isn't a team player. He didn't have to do this. This is a team first move all the way. Immediate cap savings and he is betting on himself which means he'll be going all out every snap to try & make plays to hit those incentives.

He had to do this or his azz was on the street. 

This is exactly what happened with the tub of goo Star. Guess what? Cut a year later. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, FireChans said:

He had to do this or his azz was on the street. 

This is exactly what happened with the tub of goo Star. Guess what? Cut a year later. 

He wasn't getting cut this year no matter what with $60 mill in dead cap.....  Maybe next season, but not this season.  He wasn't going anywhere.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Because his play declined massively. So they went to his ego and said hey you know how you could earn 17M this year. How about we move a lot that into incentives. And your your trouble you can earn another 3M more 

Ones play massively declined

others didn’t 

Well, Diggs’ play declined also. Didn’t score a TD in the entire 2nd half of the season. He was either hurt, is aging, or he would use the excuse that we need other weapons to take the heat off him. Either way, it would be incentives for him to rework his deal. No?

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How come Tre White is given so much slack for his injuries but Von gets no grace from the fans?

Probably because Von was going on and on all off season about how he would be ready to start week 1 and didn't get activated until week 10 and did nothing in weeks 10-19.

That would be my guess.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How come Tre White is given so much slack for his injuries but Von gets no grace from the fans?

What constitutes grace?

I think Von is washed. I think he had a little left in the tank when he signed here, and he was probably the worst defender for the Bills post injury.

I also thought Tre was done here after his second injury too.

it’s nothing personal. Either you can still play or you can’t.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

what day does this years salary guarantee? I bet it’s not yet without looking. 

which means he’s avoiding finding out his open market price based on his film. He didn’t drop $9m out of generosity and good spirit 

Oooo I am sure he got a paycut or cut demand because it is clear Beane is pulling the bandaid off 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Well, Diggs’ play declined also. Didn’t score a TD in the entire 2nd half of the season. He was either hurt, is aging, or he would use the excuse that we need other weapons to take the heat off him. Either way, it would be incentives for him to rework his deal. No?

It’s easier to cut Von than Diggs is the real answer.

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Not according to his year stats. There is ABSOLUTELY no way Diggs takes a paycut the player has to accept. Beane figured Von would because he likely anticipated Von thinking last year was an anomaly and will come back fine from Inj this year. 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Oooo I am sure he got a paycut or cut demand 

yup - for him, he gets all the money he would on the open market and looks like a good guy

for us, we begrudgingly pay him more than we’d like but get to manage the cap and have the hope of upside 

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If that is as reported it is a proper pay cut. 

What I mean by that is it isn't a restructure and it isn't swapping non-guaranteed money for a smaller amount of guaranteed money. 

Von's $17.5m salary this year was FULLY guaranteed. He is taking a near $9m pay cut (who knows what the incentives are). That is significant. 

Man, I just saw this. That’s a classy move from a guy that didn’t need to do anything. Hope he comes back strong to finish out his career here in Buffalo.

We all give Brandon Bean some flack when it comes to some of his draft decisions, but man does he shine this time of year. I hope he knocks the draft out of the park because I don’t really think we need to go hard on free agency.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Not according to his year stats. There is ABSOLUTELY no way Diggs takes a paycut 

Diggs won’t take a paycut because he doesn’t care if he gets cut and the Bills probably don’t wanna cut him. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Not according to his year stats. There is ABSOLUTELY no way Diggs takes a paycut 

And nobody thought there was any way Von would take a pay cut either. Why would he. He didn’t have to. Could have told Beane to F-Off and pay him his money. Even if cut he gets a ton and then goes somewhere else 

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Depending on how many years they’re amortizing the $7m, that could be a $14m cap savings in 2024.  We could already be zero over the cap with another $10m coming from Tre on June 1.  

signing bonus goes the remaining contract, up to 5 years. There’s no wiggling with that.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

yup - for him, he gets all the money he would on the open market and looks like a good guy

for us, we begrudgingly pay him more than we’d like but get to manage the cap and have the hope of upside 

Looking his last Restructure up. 7M of his contract would have fully guaranteed on the 16th of this month. Making all 17M or so guaranteed March 16th 

And no, I don’t think Diggs is taking a pay cut. But so far today we’ve seen a lot of moves that we didn’t think would happen so who knows what else we have in the works. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Depending on how many years they’re amortizing the $7m, that could be a $14m cap savings in 2024.  We could already be zero over the cap with another $10m coming from Tre on June 1.  

They are cap compliant already apparently.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Diggs won’t take a paycut because he doesn’t care if he gets cut and the Bills probably don’t wanna cut him. 

By don’t wanna means cannot as well based on numbers 

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

He wasn't getting cut this year no matter what with $60 mill in dead cap.....  Maybe next season, but not this season.  He wasn't going anywhere.

I don’t believe THAT is accurate 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what? He was very very good until the acl.

Tre has played in 10 of our last 40 games or something?  Come on

Tre earned a contract here with his play. Von was signed as a free agent to deliver in the playoffs. So very different relationship with fans.

Bills fans never got a chance to love Von.

And nobody thought there was any way Von would take a pay cut either. Why would he. He didn’t have to. Could have told Beane to F-Off and pay him his money. Even if cut he gets a ton and then goes somewhere else 

what day did his salary this year guarantee?

Well he likely knows his market. And realized no way am I getting that. So bills deadline on him was really the 16th when his entire base guaranteed. So they could have moved on from him. 

4 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I don't want to hear one time this season that Von isn't a team player. He didn't have to do this. This is a team first move all the way. Immediate cap savings and he is betting on himself which means he'll be going all out every snap to try & make plays to hit those incentives.

Von Miller is a washed up NFL football player that is a distraction. If Von Miller was a team player he should retire. The Buffalo Bills should have never signed him. Von Miller should have been released today he has no value as a NFL player anymore and certainly can’t help

the Bills other than sitting on his but with a Bills jacket wrapped around himself playing sparely. At least the Chuck Knox over the hill 1980’s Buffalo Bills players like Conrad Dobler had some professional pride and gave the 1980 Bills something. Von Miller has given the Bills nothing total waste of a Bills roster spot. I don’t want to hear about Von Miller’s knee Conrad Dobler had bad knees without the medical technology we have today to repair his knee. Suck it and play Von Miller or retire in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 3

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Looking his last Restructure up. 7M of his contract would have fully guaranteed on the 16th of this month. Making all 17M or so guaranteed March 16th 

exactly- he knew he wasn’t getting what he signed today as a free agent so he took his guaranteed dollars as a win and let him save face 

none of it was charitable. Good business for both parties aligned with good or for both parties. No one wanted to sign todays deal. It was just the most profitable move for both.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If that is as reported it is a proper pay cut. 

What I mean by that is it isn't a restructure and it isn't swapping non-guaranteed money for a smaller amount of guaranteed money. 

Von's $17.5m salary this year was FULLY guaranteed. He is taking a near $9m pay cut (who knows what the incentives are). That is significant. 

Weren't you and I talking a few days ago about whether it's reasonable to expect much from Miller, that it looked like he just wasn't going to get back to his old self.   Doesn't this say that at least Miller is confident that he will be back?  That's a big bet on himself.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Well he likely knows his market. And realized no way am I getting that. So bills deadline on him was really the 16th when his entire base guaranteed. So they could have moved on from him. 

Yup. But we’ll never know will we 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I would guess because Tre has a much longer history of solid contributions to this team, and was a key contributor to the regular season and playoff success in the last 7 years. That has allowed him to build up a reservoir of goodwill with the fans.

Beyond a few important plays in his first season, Von has not been a contributor here, and therefore, does not have a load of goodwill to fall back on.

I do believe he will rebound, not fully, but enough so that at his new salary, he will not be a boatanchor to the Bills next year.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Weren't you and I talking a few days ago about whether it's reasonable to expect much from Miller, that it looked like he just wasn't going to get back to his old self.   Doesn't this say that at least Miller is confident that he will be back?  That's a big bet on himself.  

It is. But I still have zero expectations for him. I respect him for making this move. I still think he is totally washed as a player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

what bet? He wasn’t getting more on the market so he will try to play under his already guaranteed salary instead of getting cut and collecting the same elsewhere -subsidized by the bills- and with the humbling nature of being signed to a cheaper and shorter deal

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is. But I still have zero expectations for him. I respect him for making this move. I still think he is totally washed as a player.

At least the $9m paycut that he has allowed them to save in 2024 will mean that they can put this money towards a starter at DE, and Miller can just be rotation 

Maybe more likely they bring back AJE now?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Yes if he wants to be competitive.

How is the team going to be competitive when players know that the team will make even the best player take a pay cut? No one would want to come to Buffalo if they know that’s gonna happen