Von Miller takes pay cut

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

I mean, he's not hurting financially or anything and he knows he basically stole $$$ from us last year. 

True … but it still surprises me considering 2024 will be his last you would think …

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, beebe said:

If he has a huge season and earns the max amount of incentives (the 20 mill figure), the earn via incentives get applied to 2025 salary cap unless i'm mistaken.

That is correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

A great move by Beane.

However, I have to give Von some credit here. He was under no obligation to restructure or take a cut. Yet my gut feel is that he knows he has vacuumed up a substantial portion of our cap over the past two seasons with not much to show for it. I suspect this is is his way of making amends. I like it.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 8

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Thank god. He knew he was cooked if he didn’t take less.

I know folks say cutting him was impossible, but players don’t take pay cuts unless they are on the block.

Actually I think he legitimately thinks he can still play and this new deal gives him the opportunity to earn more than what he was scheduled to earn.

Think about it folks... you can almost guarantee that 2 of the "hard to reach incentives" put in his contract are tackles and sacks.

That means if he gets more tackles than 2023, he reaches that incentive and earns more.

That wouldn't be hard considering he had 3 tackles

If he gets more sacks than in 2023, he reaches that incentive and earns more.

That wouldn't be hard considering he had 0 sacks.

My bet is another incentive will be games played or active, and considering he started the season on PUP, that might not be hard for him, either.

So yes, this is a solid for Buffalo, but he may legitimately believe he's about to earn more than he was scheduled... and all of that money goes on next year's CAP.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

True … but it still surprises me considering 2024 will be his last you would think …

Maybe Beane promised him a FO position when he retires?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

OMG!! Amazing!! It is a reneg - re negotiate contact full confirmed. That is awesome. His $ is gone forever and it is now incentive ladden. Win-Win for us.

And Tre gone makes my year!!!!!!!! Wimpiest Bill ever

I think he legitimately thinks he can still play and this new deal gives him the opportunity to earn more than what he was scheduled to earn.

You can almost guarantee that 2 of the "hard to reach incentives" put in his contract are tackles and sacks.

That means if he gets more tackles than 2023, he reaches that incentive and earns more.

That wouldn't be hard considering he had 3 tackles

If he gets more sacks than in 2023, he reaches that incentive and earns more.

That wouldn't be hard considering he had 0 sacks.

My bet is another incentive will be games played or active, and considering he started the season on PUP, that might not be hard for him, either.

So yes, this is a solid for Buffalo, but he may legitimately believe he's about to earn more than he was scheduled... and all of that money goes on next year's CAP.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I just wonder when Josh's restructure is announced. Might be in play for  FA or two after all. 

I am hoping Beane avoids restructuring Josh, which just kicks the problem down the road another season. That’s how Beane ended up where he is today.

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

I am hoping Beane avoids restructuring Josh, which just kicks the problem down the road another season. That’s how Beane ended up where he is today.

what??!  Allen is THE FRANCHISE  if you restructure anyone it’s him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Waiting on the details. Miller didn’t just give up the guaranteed money he had coming to him. I suspect he got a very nice signing bonus as part of this renegotiated contract. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

A great move by Beane.

However, I have to give Von some credit here. He was under no obligation to restructure or take a cut. Yet my gut feel is that he knows he has vacuumed up a substantial portion of our cap over the past two seasons with not much to show for it. I suspect this is is his way of making amends. I like it.

It’s all business but you gotta like his confidence to rebound this year.  I would be interested in knowing what incentives are. 2024 will be an interesting year. Dark Brandon making moves that needed to be done.  Go Bills. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If that is as reported it is a proper pay cut. 

What I mean by that is it isn't a restructure and it isn't swapping non-guaranteed money for a smaller amount of guaranteed money. 

Von's $17.5m salary this year was FULLY guaranteed. He is taking a near $9m pay cut (who knows what the incentives are). That is significant. 

renegotiating a lower salary would be great and seems to be the case. 

the thread title should be changed as that’s not what a traditional restructure indicates