Dion Dawkins Value - Extend or Trade?

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What would you get for him?

Well considering someone thought Ryan Bates and his 35 snaps was worth more than a 5th, I’m thinking multiple 1st rounders 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dion is a pretty solid starting LT and had a very good year overall last season. He seems like a quality teammate.

Should we Extend/Restructure or Trade?

a few things:

the Bills like Ryan VanDemark. Do they like him enough to see him as a starting OT?

how much $ would we save by trading Dion?

what would his value be in a trade? I’d guess a 2nd Round pick.

I’m annoyed by his antics of running his mouth. Mahomes was obviously told by a Chiefs staffer that Dion said “good luck” winning here.  Mahomes won and posted “good luck” on IG.   Dawkins has now continued his antics by trash talking the entire Jets DL who will likely be way too fired up when we face them. & to top it off, Dawkins got shoved into Josh at the worst possible time in the Divisional

again on the other hand, the OL as a whole had their best season in a long time. So it does seem unlikely the starters wouldn’t all return

Dawkins is better than a "solid" LT, and his "running his mouth" is maybe a 5 on a scale of trash talk.  Trade away a starting LT because he "runs his mouth"?????  Seriously?   :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:    

The Bills have real things to fix, but LT is NOT one of them thanks to having Dawkins.   Extend/restructure is a no-brainer.  You don't fix what's not broke.

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Well considering someone thought Ryan Bates and his 35 snaps was worth more than a 5th, I’m thinking multiple 1st rounders 

I dont agree but I would do that deal.  

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Dawkins is better than a "solid" LT, and his "running his mouth" is maybe a 5 on a scale of trash talk.  Trade away a starting LT because he "runs his mouth"?????  Seriously?   :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:    

The Bills have real things to fix, but LT is NOT one of them thanks to having Dawkins.   Extend/restructure is a no-brainer.  You don't fix what's not broke.

the cap situation is kind of broken.   

what logic did the chiefs use when they traded hill.  They fixed wr when it was not broke and it has worked out ok.  Not saying I think this is a great idea but you should listen to trades if teams are willing that don’t involve Josh Allen. 

27 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Gonna be a long off season with these posts.... 

We have FA next week. Draft in April, and the schedule release in May. After that the offseason blows as it's a long wait until August. I even look forward to preseason football as it means they are playing games again. Granted they don't count, and the starters don't play but at least football is back again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I dont agree but I would do that deal.  

the cap situation is kind of broken.   

what logic did the chiefs use when they traded hill.  They fixed wr when it was not broke and it has worked out ok.  Not saying I think this is a great idea but you should listen to trades if teams are willing that don’t involve Josh Allen. 

Pumpkins to apples.   Dawkins is not a potential FA commanding top money at his position as Hill.  Furthermore, good LTs are significantly harder to find than good WRs.   More importantly, the Chiefs were able to work around the departure of Hill because they have one of the best OLs in the NFL.  A team can't have a good OL without having solid performers across the line.

guy is a bit overrated and basically cost us the KC game by getting blown up at a key point, that said he would create a hole u less we got a 1st round pick for hi. to use on a day 1 starter.  Since that won’t happen, I’d keep him without extending and draft a possible replacement.  

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Careful your on a rough path that people will not agree with you on Dion. He’s the lovable fat guy so everyone likes him. 

He's a great player at the most important position on Offense outside of QB.

He's also competitive and "nasty" which is what we always want until we have it. Now that's a problem because he's talking?

Any discussion of trading him is as ridiculous as talking about trading Josh. There's a reason nearly every poster on this board thinks it's a ridiculous idea. 

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Regarding Dawkins the only thing that I would do as a team is, give him a mandate that he needs to come into camp in shape, and not use training camp to get himself in shape

Going to 370# during last off-season...yeah.  

Turning 30 soon, bad body, playing a position that demands mobility and in the final year of his contract...OBD would be wise to exercise caution.  

Have to project what he'll be versus what he's done which is typically the response on TBD.  He has to take his career more seriously and I'd expect he shows up in top shape for 2024 to win that next contract.  

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Someone like Dawkins should have a price beane is willing to part with him for.  Can you get a late first or second round pick you could replace him with on a cost controlled contract?   

Not a chance he brings back that much in a trade.  When the Ravens Orlando Brown Jr., he was thought of similarly to what Dawkins is today.  Brown was coming off consecutive pro bowl selections, but he was 5 years younger than Dawkins is currently and was still playing under a third round rookie contract paying him $3.4 million his first year with Kansas City.

The Ravens received the trade equivalent of pick 45 for him (Chiefs traded a first, third, and fourth for Brown, a second, and a sixth).  Dawkins will be 30 in April and has a $16.6 million cap hit next year which is the final of his current deal.  You're looking at probably a late third at best in compensation.  You only trade him if you're planning on a major rebuild, and OBD has given no indication that they intend to go that route 

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Someone like Dawkins should have a price beane is willing to part with him for.  Can you get a late first or second round pick you could replace him with on a cost controlled contract?   

Not a chance he brings back that much in a trade.  When the Ravens Orlando Brown Jr., he was thought of similarly to what Dawkins is today.  Brown was coming off consecutive pro bowl selections, but he was 5 years younger than Dawkins is currently and was still playing under a third round rookie contract paying him $3.4 million his first year with Kansas City.

The Ravens received the trade equivalent of pick 45 for him (Chiefs traded a first, third, and fourth for Brown, a second, and a sixth).  Dawkins will be 30 in April and has a $16.6 million cap hit next year which is the final of his current deal.  You're looking at probably a late third at best in compensation.  You only trade him if you're planning on a major rebuild, and OBD has given no indication that they intend to go that route 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

We have FA next week. Draft in April, and the schedule release in May. After that the offseason blows as it's a long wait until August. I even look forward to preseason football as it means they are playing games again. Granted they don't count, and the starters don't play but at least football is back again.

Might I direct your attention to the NY Yankees?  Looking like an interesting year ahead for them if their starting pitching stays healthy.  Games are much faster now too.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dion is a pretty solid starting LT and had a very good year overall last season. He seems like a quality teammate.

Should we Extend/Restructure or Trade?

a few things:

the Bills like Ryan VanDemark. Do they like him enough to see him as a starting OT?

how much $ would we save by trading Dion?

what would his value be in a trade? I’d guess a 2nd Round pick.

I’m annoyed by his antics of running his mouth. Mahomes was obviously told by a Chiefs staffer that Dion said “good luck” winning here.  Mahomes won and posted “good luck” on IG.   Dawkins has now continued his antics by trash talking the entire Jets DL who will likely be way too fired up when we face them. & to top it off, Dawkins got shoved into Josh at the worst possible time in the Divisional

again on the other hand, the OL as a whole had their best season in a long time. So it does seem unlikely the starters wouldn’t all return

Ill be honest...You lost me on the first line referring to him being "pretty solid".  That alone told me this post was going off the rails.  He is much better than "solid", he is a top 10 LT which do not grow on trees and get paid a ton of money because they are hard to find.  

Then you really sunk this ship bringing up VanDemark who would clearly be a drop off from Dion right now.

Finally, you reveal the truth of this bizarre thread to take help away from Josh by admitting this stems over you being upset over an IG post by Mahomes that leaves you salty as if Dion's comments were the reason we lost.  I mean was it Dion's comments that talked McD for going for a Fake Punt?  Was it Dion's comments that had Bernard and Milano out making the LB spot easy pickings all game for the KC offense?  Did Dion's comments cause Bass to miss the FG?  What about the Diggs bomb he dropped, was that because of something Dion said?

No disrespect dude...but people need to stop overreacting to every little thing these guys say.  They say much worse to each others faces all game long.  We lost by 3 because we beat ourselves again...its not like KC came in fueled on vengeance over a Dion comment and curb stomped us...our own mistakes sunk us like bad decisions, dropped passes, missed FG's, etc.  

So NO...we should not trade Dion because you don't like his comments.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Might I direct your attention to the NY Yankees?  Looking like an interesting year ahead for them if their starting pitching stays healthy.  Games are much faster now too.

Definitely the Yankees will help but I was just talking football only. The USFL/XFL merger league or whatever it is called will also help but it's not the NFL or even CFB quality. 

11 hours ago, 947 said:

We FINALLY have a decent O-Line, no glaring holes, and all 5 starters coming back. No way I'd create another hole.

Do you guys not remember having Saffold?

Or Vlad Ducasse

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Yeah.. he became primary backup center. But he was originally in the mix as a swing tackle and guard - but by the end of the year he was behind edwards and van de mark.  

Based on the title of the thread - moving bates means its more likely they keep morse and dawkins. I also think this is the draft for acquiring some depth at tackle and G/C with some of the extra draft capital.  

• Like (+1) 1