Dion Dawkins Value - Extend or Trade?

Dion is a pretty solid starting LT and had a very good year overall last season. He seems like a quality teammate.

Should we Extend/Restructure or Trade?

a few things:

the Bills like Ryan VanDemark. Do they like him enough to see him as a starting OT?

how much $ would we save by trading Dion?

what would his value be in a trade? I’d guess a 2nd Round pick.

I’m annoyed by his antics of running his mouth. Mahomes was obviously told by a Chiefs staffer that Dion said “good luck” winning here.  Mahomes won and posted “good luck” on IG.   Dawkins has now continued his antics by trash talking the entire Jets DL who will likely be way too fired up when we face them. & to top it off, Dawkins got shoved into Josh at the worst possible time in the Divisional

again on the other hand, the OL as a whole had their best season in a long time. So it does seem unlikely the starters wouldn’t all return

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

I came into this thread furious as the prospect, but then you actually kind of won me over a bit … but no, he’s still very good.  

The Chiefs angle is frustrating.  I’m just so sick of guys not named Josh Allen, not stepping up.  I had forgotten all about him getting dog walked on that play. 

It would be hilarious to me if we need to clear cap space and instead of doing anything ever to sacrifice the tiniest bit on defense, we just start trading away Josh Allen’s protection. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I mean, the Bills would REALLY have to like VanDemark.  I suppose it's possible, but above average LT's aren't too easy to come by, and Beane loved our starting line last year.  That would be a big roll of the dice, imo.

Everything is probably on the table this offseason, so who knows.   But I can't see them trading Dion.  

And on a side note, I thought Mahomes was kind of a baby for chirping back on that after the game. His right to do, of course - but c'mon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would only extend him, I would not trade unless the deal was unbelievable.  A second round pick isn't close to what I would trade him for.

If we want to compete this year, we can't bank on Van Demark or a rookie coming in and holding down Allen's blindside.  Dawkins is pretty good and we need the best o-line we can get.  Plus, continuity on the o-line is important as well.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, the Bills would REALLY have to like VanDemark.  I suppose it's possible, but above average LT's aren't too easy to come by, and Beane loved our starting line last year.  That would be a big roll of the dice, imo.

Everything is probably on the table this offseason, so who knows.   But I can't see them trading Dion.  

And on a side note, I thought Mahomes was kind of a baby for chirping back on that after the game. His right to do, of course - but c'mon. 

I agree it’s not likely. Just curious mostly about the cap ramifications 

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dion is a pretty solid starting LT and had a very good year overall last season. He seems like a quality teammate.

a few things:

the Bills like Ryan VanDemark. Do they like him enough to see him as a starting OT?

I’m annoyed by his antics of running his mouth. Mahomes was obviously told by a Chiefs staffer that Dion said “good luck” winning here.  Mahomes won and posted “good luck” on IG.   Dawkins has now continued his antics by trash talking the entire Jets DL who will likely be way too fired up when we face them. & to top it off, Dawkins got shoved into Josh at the worst possible time in the Divisional

again on the other hand, the OL as a whole had their best season in a long time. So it does seem unlikely the starters wouldn’t all return

He played very well for us last season. If you've got a decent to good Left Tackle, you hold on to them until the wheels fall off. Pro Bowl Starting Left Tackles don't fall from trees. Past Drafts are LITTERED with 1st or 2nd Round OT Draft Picks that were busts for their teams. We had one of our own with Cody Ford in recent memory.

The idea of Trading him, especially this season is a laughable one. Much like I've mentioned with the idea of moving on from Morse this year, Beane on multiple occasions raved, unprompted, about how the OL last season was the best he's had since he's been here, at the Combine.

I don't see us changing the Starting 5 anywhere in 2024. And Dion Dawkins is the most important piece on our Line. He'll be extended this Offseason or next Offseason.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He played very well for us last season. If you've got a decent to good Left Tackle, you hold on to them until the wheels fall off. Pro Bowl Starting Left Tackles don't fall from trees. Past Drafts are LITTERED with 1st or 2nd Round OT Draft Picks that were busts for their teams. We had one of our own with Cody Ford in recent memory.

The idea of Trading him, especially this season is a laughable one. Much like I've mentioned with the idea of moving on from Morse this year, Beane on multiple occasions raved, unprompted, about how the OL last season was the best he's had since he's been here.

I don't see us changing the Starting 5 anywhere in 2024. And Dion Dawkins is the most important piece on our Line. He'll be extended this Offseason or next Offseason.

I’m inclined to agree with you on this

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

a few things:

I agree with just about everything you stated but there’s way too much unknown (contract value/verbage) to make an intelligent decision but that divisional rd game against the Chiefs where he got pushed right into Josh really pissed me off, he’s been talking way too much for my liking. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think he gets extended as part of the cap

reduction plan.  He’s overall solid and already here. He’s a leader on offense and has plenty of good years left. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

We FINALLY have a decent O-Line, no glaring holes, and all 5 starters coming back. No way I'd create another hole.

Do you guys not remember having Saffold?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dawkins isn’t elite by any stretch but he is absolutely a starting LT. We’ve seen how hard it is to fill the opposite side… If Brown reverts to his play at stretches to the start of last season and the years prior on top of getting rid of Dawkins it won’t matter. Extend him, reduce his cap hit and keep that line in tact. They’re a solid group together. Do need to start looking forward a bit more and get some potential that can replace them if needed but not right now… Dont do Josh dirty for another few years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Extend he put in his best season since 2019 and he’s shown a better commitment to conditioning. I am all about not ***** around with the offensive line. Keep the starting 5 intact get a good heir apparent for Mitch in place, bring back Edwards and keep developing depth.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mrags said:

Careful your on a rough path that people will not agree with you on Dion. He’s the lovable fat guy so everyone likes him. 

Yeah could be that, or, and hear me out on this one, people are sick of reading about completely nonsensical trades. Just in the last 12 hours people have wanted to trade away the starting LT and the all pro linebacker. Now let’s throw in the large amount of fans who for some reason also want to trade away the team’s top receiver, who still by the way is a top 10 receiver in the league. Could be that too, just saying 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Yeah could be that, or, and hear me out on this one, people are sick of reading about completely nonsensical trades. Just in the last 12 hours people have wanted to trade away the starting LT and the all pro linebacker. Now let’s throw in the large amount of fans who for some reason also want to trade away the team’s top receiver, who still by the way is a top 10 receiver in the league. Could be that too, just saying 

Diggs….is that you? 

• Haha (+1) 1