Dion Dawkins Value - Extend or Trade?

45 minutes ago, Billl said:

Not a chance he brings back that much in a trade.  When the Ravens Orlando Brown Jr., he was thought of similarly to what Dawkins is today.  Brown was coming off consecutive pro bowl selections, but he was 5 years younger than Dawkins is currently and was still playing under a third round rookie contract paying him $3.4 million his first year with Kansas City.

The Ravens received the trade equivalent of pick 45 for him (Chiefs traded a first, third, and fourth for Brown, a second, and a sixth).  Dawkins will be 30 in April and has a $16.6 million cap hit next year which is the final of his current deal.  You're looking at probably a late third at best in compensation.  You only trade him if you're planning on a major rebuild, and OBD has given no indication that they intend to go that route 

Not a chance he brings back that much in a trade.  When the Ravens Orlando Brown Jr., he was thought of similarly to what Dawkins is today.  Brown was coming off consecutive pro bowl selections, but he was 5 years younger than Dawkins is currently and was still playing under a third round rookie contract paying him $3.4 million his first year with Kansas City.

The Ravens received the trade equivalent of pick 45 for him (Chiefs traded a first, third, and fourth for Brown, a second, and a sixth).  Dawkins will be 30 in April and has a $16.6 million cap hit next year which is the final of his current deal.  You're looking at probably a late third at best in compensation.  You only trade him if you're planning on a major rebuild, and OBD has given no indication that they intend to go that route 

The biggest factor in his trade value is that this is the best OL draft in decades.   If it were a bad draft, given the state of current OL play in the NFL then perhaps he does warrant better value than Brown(who was arriving with big contract demands, limited work at LT in a heavy run offense and wasn't/isn't as good of a pass blocker, the more important skill).    

But this season there are going to be guys late in round 1 who teams think will be as good or better than Dawkins in pretty short order.......and they can be had cheap and potentially for a long time.   Not a sellers market for OL.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The biggest factor in his trade value is that this is the best OL draft in decades.   If it were a bad draft, given the state of current OL play in the NFL then perhaps he does warrant better value than Brown(who was arriving with big contract demands, limited work at LT in a heavy run offense and wasn't/isn't as good of a pass blocker, the more important skill).    

But this season there are going to be guys late in round 1 who teams think will be as good or better than Dawkins in pretty short order.......and they can be had cheap and potentially for a long time.   Not a sellers market for OL.

That's true as well.   That said, this OT class is very similar to the one when Brown was traded in that there were a few studs at the very top and then a ton of guys who were better fits at RT than LT.  Time being a flat circle and all, Kansas City is once again trying to solve for a LT, and there doesn't seem to be a great option that will be sitting there at the end of the first round.

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dion is a pretty solid starting LT and had a very good year overall last season. He seems like a quality teammate.

Should we Extend/Restructure or Trade?

a few things:

the Bills like Ryan VanDemark. Do they like him enough to see him as a starting OT?

how much $ would we save by trading Dion?

what would his value be in a trade? I’d guess a 2nd Round pick.

I’m annoyed by his antics of running his mouth. Mahomes was obviously told by a Chiefs staffer that Dion said “good luck” winning here.  Mahomes won and posted “good luck” on IG.   Dawkins has now continued his antics by trash talking the entire Jets DL who will likely be way too fired up when we face them. & to top it off, Dawkins got shoved into Josh at the worst possible time in the Divisional

again on the other hand, the OL as a whole had their best season in a long time. So it does seem unlikely the starters wouldn’t all return

There's nothing wrong with smack talk. And Dion says it to their face on the field, so it's not like the Jets DL hasn't heard it before.

Some of you guys are the biggest babies. You can't handle confrontation and that's okay. Just don't disparage the Bills for it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Billl said:

You are repeating yourself and also redundant :)

I am not advocating for the trade, just saying there should be a price you would be willing to make a move.  You could easily be correct on what someone is willing to pay and I would not trade him for a late 3rd.  Beane should investigate all options if someone was interested in him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He had his best season last year. I'm not in the business of trading quality LTs in their prime to create another hole on the OLine after we just got it set up nicely last year finally.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There's nothing wrong with smack talk. And Dion says it to their face on the field, so it's not like the Jets DL hasn't heard it before.

Some of you guys are the biggest babies. You can't handle confrontation and that's okay. Just don't disparage the Bills for it.

you do realize Dion said “good luck” to the chiefs in his press conference during the week. It was not regular on the field trash talk.  

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

I came into this thread furious as the prospect, but then you actually kind of won me over a bit … but no, he’s still very good.  

The Chiefs angle is frustrating.  I’m just so sick of guys not named Josh Allen, not stepping up.  I had forgotten all about him getting dog walked on that play. 

It would be hilarious to me if we need to clear cap space and instead of doing anything ever to sacrifice the tiniest bit on defense, we just start trading away Josh Allen’s protection. 

Well, here we are Bates gone 🤣🤣🤣

I think on its face, it doesn’t sound that palatable, but there are some things to consider.

1. Dawkins is approaching the age where playing into shape becomes less and less viable. There aren’t a lot of fat old guys who are still playing at high level.

2. Spencer Brown’s contract status. Brown is younger and imo, more physically gifted than Dion, but obviously plays the less important position. If Brown plays as well as he did this year, imo he’s looking at top 5 RT money. I don’t think Beane and co can or even should pay BOTH guys. But I also don’t think Brown can play LT. Could be wrong, but that’s a lot of money to tie up in OT’s, and there’s only one guy who has a chance to play out a full 3 more years here. 

3. Josh Allen’s scrambling. As important as LT is, imo the importance of the position decreases the more guys like Josh and Mahomes scramble. You see teams play patty cake with the tackles making sure they don’t lose contain. Most tackles in the NFL can consider that an easy pass block win. I don’t think the difference between the top 10 and bottom 10 LT’s in the NFL has ever been less than it is right now because of it. 

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

I got an idea. Let’s trade everyone but Josh so that we can have TBDs ideal roster; 1 QB and 52 WRs. 

Reading this topic is kinda funny. Never thought Dawkins was this untouchable asset that folks are up in arms about.

the only one on the Bills that is untouchable is Josh. Everyone else can and should have a price, particularly the older guys whose best days are likely behind them. There’s no lifetime achievement award.

7 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

you do realize Dion said “good luck” to the chiefs in his press conference during the week. It was not regular on the field trash talk.  

Who gives a *****

These are grown men and they talk trash on the field, off the field and on the golf course 

Josh Allen is one of the biggest trash talkers in the league

These are pros.. nothing Dion Dawkins can say could give them more motivation

A non confident man thinks Dion saying good luck will give the Chiefs some extra motivation...  If the Chiefs needed any extra motivation they wouldn't even be in that position

I want Dion and everybody to think they are unbeatable at home and I want them to be that confident

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2024 at 3:29 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oh my GOSH!!!! How dare he!!!

Oh No Wtf GIF by LilLetsOfficial

So Dawkins is currently 15th in AAV at $14.575M.  Next year is his last on his current deal.  What do people see for his extension, years, guaranteed and AAV?  I think his agent will be looking to get him to top 5 given his string of Pro Bowl's, that would put him around $20M AAV.    Unless he is willing to sign for something closer to where he is now, I am not doing a new deal with him but he is tough, he has missed one game in 7 years but you dont pay for the past, you pay for the future.  What are people willing to sign up for?   I think I would let this year play out unless he was willing to take less than he is reasonably able to demand.

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle