Super Bowl LVIII game thread.

TBBills Fan

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

The thing about comparing players midstream is that it's fun but you never know what happens.

What if Allen and the Bills hit on some young playmakers this off-season, beat KC next playoffs and go on to win 3 Super Bowls in a row? Or our own 3 wins in 5 years?

We've had a lot of bad luck but that will even out. Maybe not with multiple SB wins but you never know. 

Let's say Allen gets to 3 in 5 years but wins all 3, beating KC each year to get there.

Conversation changes then. 

Conversation would’ve changed this year if we beat them and went on to win the Super Bowl. 

Instead we had injuries all over, nobody except Shakir stepped up to help Allen and the narrative about Josh deepened. 

He’s a better man than I.. Seeing your legacy destroyed because your rival has better coaches and players around him.  I’m not sure how much of the good soldier I would keep playing along with. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate the Allen/Mahomes comparisons.

I think the only time Allen's D played as well as Mahomes' D plays every week was the Ravens playoff game.

Mahomes has Reid and Spags.  I like McD, but both of those guys are legends.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That’s letting him off the hook. 

If Mahomes is who he says he is… because he clearly believe he’s the GOAT while downplaying the situation he was drafted to.. (which is my issue with his posts)

Clearly the Bills would be a dynasty if we took Mahomes, correct?   I want him to answer that. 

Because I believe Josh would be leading a dynasty in KC rn.  

Does he believe the same about Mahomes in Buffalo?

It’s very funny that you think this is some kind of gotcha.

Do you know who isn’t debating if they should’ve taken Mahomes or some other QB?

the Chiefs.

Do you know who wasn’t debating from 2000-2019 if they should’ve drafted some other QB or kept Bledsoe? 

The Pats. 

Just now, FireChans said:

It’s very funny that you think this is some kind of gotcha.

Do you know who isn’t debating if they should’ve taken Mahomes or some other QB?

the Chiefs.

Do you know who wasn’t debating from 2000-2019 if they should’ve drafted some other QB or kept Bledsoe? 

The Pats. 

Holy **** just answer the question..

Mahomes on the Bills teams we’ve had for Allen. 

Dynasty, yes?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Holy **** just answer the question..

Mahomes on the Bills teams we’ve had for Allen. 

Dynasty, yes?

the question was “would I draft Mahomes.” Did you even read the post lol.

I don’t know about dynasty, we didn’t have as much talent as they did. I think Mahomes would still be the best QB in football and we’d have won at least 1 SB already.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Governor said:

He threw the game winning TD in OT and had 2 drive extending runs.

Again, what did he do that made him the best? Nothing special. Hit wide open guy in the flat at the end. No special run, not touched before 1st down. He had an avg at best game. Was able to win because of his defense and special teams played great games.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

the question was “would I draft Mahomes.” Did you even read the post lol.

I don’t know about dynasty, we didn’t have as much talent as they did. I think Mahomes would still be the best QB in football and we’d have won at least 1 SB already.

You quoted my post in which I asked that.  A question you and others who share your opinion haven’t answered until now.

I think there’s a chance we could have one.  I’ll be totally honest and probably surprise you with that answer. 

Mahomes difference over Allen for me is that he’s consistently good in the regular season.  Up until this year, no real stretches of play where you’re like bruh what is his problem? 

Maybe we get the 1 seed because of that and win it. 

But I agree, no dynasty.  Our coaching and talent level has not been on a dynasty trajectory. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, Calidiehard said:

No. Mahomes wouldn't have become who he is without the team and coaching he had from the beginning.

Brady is a system QB, Belichick made him! He’d be nothing without Belichick

- Brady haters in 2012, who also no longer exist.

Little plays all add up. Especially against a team like KC which will cut your heart out. You can't miss an xp. You can't muff a punt. Your best player CMC can't fumble on what should've been an opening drive td.  Spags made adjustments after halftime.  Shanny not so much? 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You quoted my post in which I asked that.  A question you and others who share your opinion haven’t answered until now.

I think there’s a chance we could have one.  I’ll be totally honest and probably surprise you with that answer. 

Mahomes difference over Allen for me is that he’s consistently good in the regular season.  Up until this year, no real stretches of play where you’re like bruh what is his problem? 

Maybe we get the 1 seed because of that and win it. 

But I agree, no dynasty.  Our coaching and talent level has not been on a dynasty trajectory. 

That’s fine. I would prefer to have the best QB in football. I don’t think it’s crazy. 

I love Josh. I think he’ll win in Buffalo. But the biggest mistake the Bills ever made was trading Mahomes to a team that would stand in our way every postseason.

The biggest benefit to drafting Mahomes is that we would no longer have to play Mahomes. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Little plays all add up. Especially against a team like KC which will cut your heart out. You can't miss an xp. You can't muff a punt. Your best player CMC can't fumble on what should've been an opening drive td.  Spags made adjustments after halftime.  Shanny not so much? 

They didn’t even muff the punt (at least in the traditional way). Ball bounced off

the back of the heel of an engaged blocker.

Just monumental amounts of good fortune for the Chiefs.

KC actually did muff a punt, but the guy recovered it. (Again, good fortune…)

I hate Mahomes more than anyone else in sports 99.9% of it because of what he’s done to us but I obviously respect him (as I hold down the bile in my stomach).  

Though things are obviously far, far different (and very painful) for me now on so many levels than they were thirty years ago when I was a diehard Knicks’ fan, back then I hated Jordan with a passion, enraged me countless times (I mean the guy killed us at every turn, even dropped 55 on us first time back at MSG after his baseball career ended).  But, he is my basketball GOAT.  

Hard to imagine Mahomes reaching that level but if he plays another ten years at or close to this level maybe in thirty years if I’m still alive and kicking things might change.  But for now and the foreseeable future I hate the guy for what he’s still in the process of doing to us.  Maybe he’ll decide to pursue a baseball career so we have a better chance!  

Just now, FireChans said:

Brady is a system QB, Belichick made him! He’d be nothing without Belichick

- Brady haters in 2012, who also no longer exist.

Didn't say Mahomes was a system QB. He has a ton of talent. But he has arguably the greatest offensive mind of this generation, had the fastest man in the NFL, arguably the greatest TE of all time. Maybe the best defensive mind in the last 10yrs as well. He didn't win this game tonight, but his defense and special teams did more than the 49ers to win.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Mahomes with McDermott would've been a disaster.

Exactly. Look at Mahomes in his 1st game action his rookie year. Would have been a lot of the same in year 2 is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

They didn’t even muff the punt (at least in the traditional way). Ball bounced off

the back of the heel of an engaged blocker.

Just monumental amounts of good fortune for the Chiefs.

KC actually did muff a punt, but the guy recovered it. (Again, good fortune…)

Dude I know that. It hit his teammate in the foot and Ray Ray did a poor jump keeping his teammate away from the play. Then he butchered the recovery attempt.  It was pure Ray Ray of old. The whole play was muffed collectively. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

That’s fine. I would prefer to have the best QB in football. I don’t think it’s crazy. 

I love Josh. I think he’ll win in Buffalo. But the biggest mistake the Bills ever made was trading Mahomes to a team that would stand in our way every postseason.

The biggest benefit to drafting Mahomes is that we would no longer have to play Mahomes. 

I really think Mahomes has benefitted greatly by having Reid in KC, and would have a fraction of the success in Buffalo (probably around Allen’s level of success).

Just look at his 2 TD passes today.

TD pass #1: Blown coverage, wide open receiver, possibly due to scheme.

TD pass #2: Wide open receiver with an easy pitch and catch 100% due to scheme. In fact, they ran the same play twice in the SB last year with the same result.

Do you really think Allen is incapable of throwing to his first read that has been schemed wide open? Because I think he could do that…

14 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

Again, what did he do that made him the best? Nothing special. Hit wide open guy in the flat at the end. No special run, not touched before 1st down. He had an avg at best game. Was able to win because of his defense and special teams played great games.

Josh wouldn’t have to be the best either if we ran a quality D scheme that didn’t collapse every year. The 49ers were toast as soon as they switched to a soft cover 2.

Edited by Governor

4 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

Didn't say Mahomes was a system QB. He has a ton of talent. But he has arguably the greatest offensive mind of this generation, had the fastest man in the NFL, arguably the greatest TE of all time. Maybe the best defensive mind in the last 10yrs as well. He didn't win this game tonight, but his defense and special teams did more than the 49ers to win.

Exactly. Look at Mahomes in his 1st game action his rookie year. Would have been a lot of the same in year 2 is my guess. 

I’m not saying you did. I’m saying a lot of people tried to minimize the greatness of the previous GOAT while he was playing. And you are doing the same thing to Mahomes now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Here's a question and I'm genuinely curious to hear your answer. In our playoff game against the Chiefs from this year, pretend you have the option of making one of these trades:

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce

Oliver for Jones

Klein for Bolton

In order from most impactful to least impactful how would you rank them? Here's mine:

1) Kincaid for Kelce

2) Oliver for Jones

3) Klein for Bolton

4) Allen for Mahomes

Personally I believe if you switched either of the first 2 we would have won. I'm inclined to say the same about #3 but not quite as sure. #4 I 100% believe makes no difference if everything else remains the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

No. Mahomes wouldn't have become who he is without the team and coaching he had from the beginning.

lol sure. You can say that with nothing to compare it to. Again the ridiculous BS around here is astonishing. Glad the season’s over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m not saying you did. I’m saying a lot of people tried to minimize the greatness of the previous GOAT while he was playing. And you are doing the same thing to Mahomes now. 

I feel the same way about Mahomes as I did Brady. They are very lucky to be in the situation they are. Stars have aligned to help them out. Whe. Brady needed his defense to be great they usually were. Mahomes is getting the same right now as his paly has slipped. He hasn't had to be great the last 2 years like he was the 3 before. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Here's a question and I'm genuinely curious to hear your answer. In our playoff game against the Chiefs from this year, pretend you have the option of making one of these trades:

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce

Oliver for Jones

Klein for Bolton

In order from most impactful to least impactful how would you rank them? Here's mine:

1) Kincaid for Kelce

2) Oliver for Jones

3) Klein for Bolton

4) Allen for Mahomes

Personally I believe if you switched either of the first 2 we would have won. I'm inclined to say the same about #3 but not quite as sure. #4 I 100% believe makes no difference if everything else remains the same.

Do you think Mahomes scores on the last drive? 

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol sure. You can say that with nothing to compare it to. Again the ridiculous BS around here is astonishing. Glad the season’s over.

What can you say to compare that he would? He has yet to play a game without a future hall of fame player or coach. We will see at some point. 

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce

Oliver for Jones

Klein for Bolton

1) Kincaid for Kelce

2) Oliver for Jones

3) Klein for Bolton

4) Allen for Mahomes

That’s VERY tough.

I’d say:

Klein for Bolton (by virtue of Klein probably having the worst individual game of any Bills defender in 2023)

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce (to me this matters less by virtue of Klein/Bolton up top. I think Kincaid drops a big catch and yardage total if Klein is on him all game.)

Oliver for Jones (as good of a play Jones made in the late stages, it was one play on second down, which admittedly was one play more than Oliver made.)

Edited by FireChans

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce

Oliver for Jones

Klein for Bolton

1) Kincaid for Kelce

2) Oliver for Jones

3) Klein for Bolton

4) Allen for Mahomes

The only trade I would make is McDermott for Reid.  Reid hires Spags and Josh easily has 2 rings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Calidiehard said:

What can you say to compare that he would? He has yet to play a game without a future hall of fame player or coach. We will see at some point. 

So we’re waiting for a hall of famer to walk through and play for a season or two now?

4 minutes ago, Calidiehard said:

I feel the same way about Mahomes as I did Brady. They are very lucky to be in the situation they are. Stars have aligned to help them out. Whe. Brady needed his defense to be great they usually were. Mahomes is getting the same right now as his paly has slipped. He hasn't had to be great the last 2 years like he was the 3 before. 

Yep, they just have 10 SB’s between them because they are lucky lol

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only trade I would make is McDermott for Reid.  Reid hires Spags and Josh easily has 2 rings.

I’m a firm believer that coach is 4 pts in playoff games. I just don’t see our coach crew at the top 15 level.

ST= who?

DC = none

OC = promoted as last man standing

HC = The clapper. The lights turn off when he claps under presser. 

Jesus Christ. Allen is awesome. Top 2 QB 8in the league right now. I am beyond glad we took him over Rosen, or even Jackson. The Bills still f*ed up passing on Mahomes. That’s a fact and whatever you homers want to deflect or disassociate that’s fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yep, they just have 10 SB’s between them because they are lucky lol

Didn't say lucky, said they have benefited from having a great team and coach around them. In comparison to say Josh, He can play great, but when has his defense stepped up and made a play in the post season when needed against the Chiefs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Do you think Mahomes scores on the last drive? 

I don't believe Mahomes would have scored enough times to have us in that position to begin with. Allen playing at his very best is better than Mahomes. For like 3.5 quarters Allen was at his very best in that game, and that's the only reason we even had a chance at the end. The kind of adversity Mahomes faced tonight in the 1st 3 quarters, that's what Allen was up against in the divisional round. Unlike Mahomes he kept finding a way to will his offense down the field and put points on the board. So no if anything I think switching Allen for Mahomes in that game leads to a worse outcome for us.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't believe Mahomes would have scored enough times to have us in that position to begin with. Allen playing at his very best is better than Mahomes. For like 3.5 quarters Allen was at his very best in that game, and that's the only reason we even had a chance at the end. The kind of adversity Mahomes faced tonight in the 1st 3 quarters, that's what Allen was up against in the divisional round. Unlike Mahomes he kept finding a way to will his offense down the field and put points on the board. So no if anything I think switching Allen for Mahomes in that game leads to a worse outcome for us.

We had the ball last and didn't score. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Here we go folks. It's starting. Everybody is going to spend the next 8 months ignoring what they watched with their own eyes and boil it all down to one player.

My own eyes just saw Mahomes led his team on a Superbowl winning drive…again. 

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s VERY tough.

I’d say:

Klein for Bolton (by virtue of Klein probably having the worst individual game of any Bills defender in 2023)

Allen for Mahomes

Kincaid for Kelce (to me this matters less by virtue of Klein/Bolton up top. I think Kincaid drops a big catch and yardage total if Klein is on him all game.)

Oliver for Jones (as good of a play Jones made in the late stages, it was one play on second down, which admittedly was one play more than Oliver made.)

Here's another one for you. Let me know if you disagree with any of these statements. In that divisional round, the following groups performed better for the listed team:

RB - Wash

WR - Chiefs

TE - Chiefs

OL - Chiefs (slight lean, if you want to call it a wash I won't argue)

DL - Chiefs

LB - Chiefs

Secondary - Chiefs

Special teams - Chiefs

Coaching - Chiefs

Are we on the same page here? I'll assume we are with maybe one or two groups switching to a wash.

So help me out here - Assume you're correct that the Chiefs QB also outplayed the Bills QB. How is it that a team where just about every possible factor was better than their opponent, and their opponent had no such advantages, only won by 3 points? That seems impossible.

Unless of course their opponent did have an advantage somewhere, perhaps at the most important position on the team?

9 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I don't think it's too big of a homer opinion to say that giving Allen Reid and Kelce and Chris Jones turns the tide in virtually every playoff game we lost during the Allen tenure.

Lol of course that isn't a homer opinion. That is a plain fact.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.