Hot Mic Baker Mayfield returning to Bucs

Good for him, Browns ownership treated him like crap, guy leads that team to breaking their playoff win drought against the ***** Steelers, division rival has to be big for the Browns, what has a tougher follow up season where he still plays hard for them but is playing injured most of the season and they just dump him for a sex offender.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Mayfield has proven he's a pretty good QB. Why the Browns got rid of him remains a mystery to me. He was playing with a significant injury his final year there and gutted it out. The year before, he was good. And he was good this year. Almost rallied to beat the Bills after being down by a lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Good for him, Browns ownership treated him like crap, guy leads that team to breaking their playoff win drought against the ***** Steelers, division rival has to be big for the Browns, what has a tougher follow up season where he still plays hard for them but is playing injured most of the season and they just dump him for a sex offender.

Not being a smartass here, but how did Cleveland treat him like crap?  

Was it the coaching situation?  Because I feel like they provided him with some talent on the field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Confession: Baker is who I wanted in the 2018 draft.

I thought his attitude/moxie/whatever-you-wanna-call-it was exactly what Buffalo needed at that time.

Obviously we'll never know how things would've turned out if he had been drafted here, but...I'm obviously pretty okay with the guy we wound up with instead.

Two interesting things about Baker Mayfield:

One is that the Browns VERY NEARLY took Josh Allen 1st overall instead of him. There were rumors right up until draft morning of the Browns building being split and some pushing very heavily for Josh. Instead, as we all know, the voices that wanted Baker won out, and the rest is history.

Two is that he had a pretty great rookie season, which led to instant stardom and him being in a bazillion TV commercials. He looked to all the world like the next huge NFL megastar QB. And then his sophomore season happened and, well...things went downhill in Cleveland, culminating in his ouster from the team, temporary journeyman status, and his current career resurrection in Tampa Bay. This was the latest example of "don't judge a QB after a great rookie season until he's able to replicate the success in year two". Opposing defensive coordinators have an offseason to study and to take away what you do best, and year two often doesn't go nearly as well as year one.

Anyway...I like Baker Mayfield. I'm glad he's doing well in Tampa Bay, and I hope he continues to do well in his career.

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Was it the coaching situation?  Because I feel like they provided him with some talent on the field. 

They knew he had a significant injury to his throwing arm and instead of shutting him down, let him gut it out leading to him having a very sub-par season.  Knowing that, they let him take all the blame for the team's performance and rarely stood up for the guy.  And to thank him for putting the team ahead of his own health, they dumped him unceremoniously for the Gummybear Bandit - Portrait of a @SS Grabber and made Mr. Massage the highest paid QB in the league.

Prior to that, he had a different OC every season and had no consistency on the coaching side of things.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Confession: Baker is who I wanted in the 2018 draft.

I thought his attitude/moxie/whatever-you-wanna-call-it was exactly what Buffalo needed at that time.

Obviously we'll never know how things would've turned out if he had been drafted here, but...I'm obviously pretty okay with the guy we wound up with instead.

Two interesting things about Baker Mayfield:

One is that the Browns VERY NEARLY took Josh Allen 1st overall instead of him. There were rumors right up until draft morning of the Browns building being split and some pushing very heavily for Josh. Instead, as we all know, the voices that wanted Baker won out, and the rest is history.

Two is that he had a pretty great rookie season, which led to instant stardom and him being in a bazillion TV commercials. He looked to all the world like the next huge NFL megastar QB. And then his sophomore season happened and, well...things went downhill in Cleveland, culminating in his ouster from the team, temporary journeyman status, and his current career resurrection in Tampa Bay. This was the latest example of "don't judge a QB after a great rookie season until he's able to replicate the success in year two". Opposing defensive coordinators have an offseason to study and to take away what you do best, and year two often doesn't go nearly as well as year one.

Anyway...I like Baker Mayfield. I'm glad he's doing well in Tampa Bay, and I hope he continues to do well in his career.

I think he will continue to do well in Tampa I figured because of his college career & his accuracy he would be gone before the Bills got to pick & probably the Browns didn't take Josh because of all of the talk about his accuracy not being that good .

I am glad the Bills got J.A. but Baker will have a long career in the NFL .

I'm just glad the Bills took J.A. because i was wanting them to take the other Josh that draft & if they would have i think just maybe he would have done a little better with the Bills just because of their development of players but i'm RELLY glad they didn't take him ! 

• Like (+1) 1

As a die hard OU Fan, I loved Baker.  But I knew McDermott wouldn't take him with Bakers extremely fiery attitude and McDermotts conservative approach.  I can tell you in Cleveland he came off wrong in the locker room as a rookie, overly cocky, I'm BMOC and you can't do that. But Cleveland in the end is gonna Cleveland and the Panthers owner is an idiot.

I am glad he is doing as well as he is, and I hope the guy keeps kicking *** except when he plays us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They caused him to go to Cleveland and play for that owner??? 

It starts at the top. I have some friends who are Browns fans, and I feel bad for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

They caused him to go to Cleveland and play for that owner??? 

It starts at the top. I have some friends who are Browns fans, and I feel bad for them. 

I knew someone that worked for one of the owners PILOT truck stops as a manager. He despised that guy by the time he left

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I knew someone that worked for one of the owners PILOT truck stops as a manager. He despised that guy by the time he left

Yeah, that surprises me exactly zero. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

We remember his time in Cleveland differently.

He had a good year in 2020, but aside from that he struggled.  

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yup,

I never had an issue with Baker, he gave Cleveland everything he had and they ***** on him, can't help but feel Baker going to have the last laugh when it's all said and done. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.