Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024?

FireChans

22 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm good with Johnson for another year.  Tough.  Runs the sweep well.  Reliable with the ball.  Catches relatively well.  We can do worse at RB2 given the resources we have and holes we need to fill. 

I think he catches really well. Don’t think he had a single drop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm good with Johnson for another year.  Tough.  Runs the sweep well.  Reliable with the ball.  Catches relatively well.  We can do worse at RB2 given the resources we have and holes we need to fill. 

That's what it really comes down to. Another year where we're in better shape financially or we didn't have so many holes to fill, maybe 4-5m on Henry to pair with Cook wouldn't be a bad idea.

But since we're in terrible shape with both, it's just not something we can afford to do. We're not in a position for luxury items like carrying two of the top 4 RB's in Rushing would be for what it would cost.

The 4-5m ticket items (or more) will have to go to starting positions like WR, DE, DT, and S.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 2/3/2024 at 7:38 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

What did we learn about old power backs this season?

He earned his salary and was a surprising receiving threat.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I can't understand what the infatuation is with Ty Johnson. He's just a guy. 4.4 ypc. A whopping 132 rushing yards on the season...of which 54 came against the Cowboys in a game they refused to stop the run. Granted he's probably able to be resigned on the cheap. But he's mediocre. He does nothing to move the needle on offense. 

I look at it like this. If we were facing a team that had Ty Johnson starting or seeing significant snaps...are we nervous? No. Sign him cheap, let him compete for the RB 4 role? I'm down. Bringing him back as RB 2 would be a huge mistake. 

RB is a sneaky need for this team in FA and the draft. SPOTRAC has Henry's market value at $4.3M. If he could be had at that price I'm kicking the tires. 2 other guys I'm looking at are A.J. Dillion and Zach Moss...both with market values in the same neighborhood.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire could also be a sneaky option. His market value is listed at a mere $1.6M. Joe Brady was on the LSU staff with him. And Brandon Beane has a history of grabbing players that perform well against the Bills. CEH dominated the Bills for 161 yards in the COVID year game in Orchard Park as well as having 2 key runs in the playoffs this year. I think he may be the Damien Harris replacement.

The Brady connection makes this plausible.  Can't tell though, CEH may not want to be #2 behind Cook.

I’m for it, would be nice to have a guy who can be a hammer AND a home run threat all at once.  I’d feel much better about him getting key touches vs Cook.  The amount of times Cook screwed up in key moments is concerning, Henry is the consummate pro, even if he’s on the back end of his career.   I doubt we can afford him, but I’d be excited to have him.

There won't be enough cap to bring in someone like the King, he will demand more cash than say Ty Johnson and then because he is Henry they will plan accordingly i would rather have someone that doesn't draw as much attention to the run game & are more of a surprise or less known commodity in our run game .

On 2/3/2024 at 7:37 PM, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

Sure. Why not? with -$40M in cap space, I think this would be the perfect signing for the most pressing position 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We likely cant afford him.  

I think the Bills pay in magic Beanes - don't count against the cap...😉.  I'm here all week.  Try the Chicken Piccata...

On 2/3/2024 at 4:37 PM, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

While its totally possible...people need to stop regurgitating this stuff about McD being conservative or just wanting to pound the rock.  Its utter nonsense and McD has not only been one of the most aggressive HC's in the league during the Allen era, he has repeatedly talked about wanting big plays, high octane offense.  There is literally no truth at all other than pre-determined fan bias off assumptions because he was from a defensive background that McD has any interest in a "pound the rock" offense.  

What he wanted, which everyone on Earth KNEW we NEEDED...was balance of having an actual run game that help Josh out so he doesn't have to do it all and to help open up the pass game more too.  

I swear, the fact this absurd nonsense about him being conservative or only wants to run the ball persists is mind boggling.  Literally not a shred of factual truth to it what so ever.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:37 PM, FireChans said:

So what do we think?

For the vet minimum, sure.  Let's see what he's got left.  But some team will offer him millions and the Bills won't compete for him.

4 hours ago, JoeF said:

A little fuel to the fire....

I don't doubt Henry would want to come here. But unless he's willing to take like half or less than half of what others will offer and a Damien Harris type of contract (which we may not even go as high as considering we know what we have in Cook now as opposed to last offseason), it's not happening.

I see it like a DeAndre Hopkins situation with us last year. He may want to play here. But when he gets his offers from other teams and what we'd be able to offer (if we do at all), that won't matter. The discrepancy will be too great. Players will accept less to play with a contender, but that only goes so far.

Side note - the last shot that gets frozen on when you finish the video is hilarious. Cook be looking like "man, why are you asking me this?" 😆

Edited by BillsFanForever19

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't doubt Henry would want to come here. But unless he's willing to take like half or less than half of what others will offer and a Damien Harris type of contract (which we may not even go as high as considering we know what we have in Cook now as opposed to last offseason), it's not happening.

I see it like a DeAndre Hopkins situation with us last year. He may want to play here. But when he gets his offers from other teams and what we'd be able to offer (if we do at all), that won't matter. The discrepancy will be too great. Players will accept less to play with a contender, but that only goes so far.

Side note - the last shot that gets frozen on when you finish the video is hilarious. Cook be looking like "man, why are you asking me this?" 😆

Cook is picturing his touches being taken away! no more red zone carries for James!!! Not like he got them anyway

Edited by Warriorspikes51

• 3 weeks later...

The only way I'd want Derrick Henry as a Bill in 2024 is if he's cool playing mid-November onwards and sits on the bench for September/October.  That's the bargain for a Super Bowl opportunity.  

I'd want his peak production to be right at the last week of the season/first week of playoffs, and between Allen, Cook and Henry, operate a 1987 playbook of beating the opponent defense to death with run after run after run after run...

• Like (+1) 1

this would be a strong thing for the team if we had fewer needs and more cap.  i don't see how we could fit him in, but i suppose anything is possible.

we absolutely need an upgrade at wr, and possibly 2, but we should be able to get that with a couple draft picks.

we need a new 1t (or resign d jones) starter, and we need 2 more DTs and 2 more DEs.  some cheapos can fill in, but some picks will be needed too.

we also need at least 1 new starting safety, maybe 2, and we lost our two back ups as well.  

presuming all of that is completed (and we clear up 50 sticks in cap, MY GOSH SO MUCH) and he's on a fairly reasonable contract, then ya DHen might be a big addition to the team.

part of the issue we have on o is altho the top line production is very good, and our qb is the goat (ill fight you on this) and our OL is more than solid, the drop off from our 1s to our 2s is SHOCKING.  cook to murray is awful, TJ is ok tho.  diggs to davis is a big drop, and davis to the next guy on the roster is awful.  kinkaid to knox (14mm for like 9 games and a couple nice catches and more drops) is a bad drop off too.  if henry means we can run mostly the same stuff w cook and him and get those great 1st down runs we've often gotten with brady, then he could be a huge get.

if our d is gonna falter some over the regs, and be what it has always been in the playoffs (sharp disgusting cheeks) then having a better run game to just play keep away might be completely necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

I against investing any significant dollars at the RB position. Better offensive line can make an average back look good so that is where money should go to if anything. Denver had system where they could churn out 1000 yd runners yearly that should be the goal.