Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024?

FireChans

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 8
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

11 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

What’s making you get slowly more and more convinced?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So what do we think?

He'll have a market. He's aging. You don't pay RB's big money. We don't have money. We have too many holes. We already have a Pro Bowl RB1. Should I go on?

Bring back Ty Johnson. He'll be cheap. Pair him with Cook and Hines. Draft a RB late on Day 3. We're good there. Spend what little money we'll have finding starters at either WR, DE, DT, or S.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Who will get more money in FA?

This isn't even a question. Ty Johnson was a Practice Squad player who came in because of injury. He overachieved, but people aren't going to back the brinks truck up for an RB2/RB3 former Practice Squad guy who's coming off a decent year in relief work.

Derrick Henry on the other hand will sell jerseys and has a resume as the top RB in the NFL, even though he's getting older. In no planet is there a question as to whether or not Ty Johnson is going to remotely cost what Derrick Henry will.

One RB is a superstar and one is a vet minimum type.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This isn't even a question. Ty Johnson was a Practice Squad player who came in because of injury. He overachieved, but people aren't going to back the brinks truck up for an RB2/RB3 former Practice Squad guy who had 1 good year.

Derrick Henry on the other hand will sell jerseys and has a resume as the top RB in the NFL, even though he's getting older. In no planet is there a question as to whether or not Ty Johnson is going to remotely cost what Derrick Henry will.

meh. Zeke got $3m last year by hitting roster bonuses, Ty got 1.1m 

i agree that Henry will get more than Ty, but the gap might not be as wide as many think. 

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on what $ he wants.

I’d do it if we could make that work.

Henry, Cook and Allen option running attack is pretty scary.

so you add King Henry 

then you get 2 WR’s in the first 3 rounds

could be a really fun offense….

Allen + Henry might finally take away SOME of the 2 high safety looks

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

So what do we think?

Highly doubtful- Henry will be looking for loot and you do not overpay for an older back plus Cook/Ty are a nice one two punch.

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Highly doubtful- Henry will be looking for loot and you do not overpay for an older back plus Cook/Ty are a nice one two punch.

I’m not sure he will be looking for that much loot personally.

23 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He'll have a market. He's aging. You don't pay RB's big money. We don't have money. We have too many holes. We already have a Pro Bowl RB1. Should I go on?

Bring back Ty Johnson. He'll be cheap. Pair him with Cook and Hines. Draft a RB late on Day 3. We're good there. Spend what little money we'll have finding starters at either WR, DE, DT, or S.

I’m not arguing for this move, I’m just saying I think it might happen.

37 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Depends on what $ he wants.

I’d do it if we could make that work.

Henry, Cook and Allen option running attack is pretty scary.

so you add King Henry 

then you get 2 WR’s in the first 3 rounds

could be a really fun offense….

Allen + Henry might finally take away SOME of the 2 high safety looks

Do you still want Hollywood Brown? Because we aren't going to be able to afford that and hand $5m per to Henry. And if we could, then best believe all 3 of the first picks would have to go to the starting position holes at DE, DT, and Safety.

There's no scenario where we pay for Henry, Brown, and use 2 of the top 3 Draft Picks on WR. None.

And why would Henry want to go to a team that already has a Pro Bowl RB on it? He'd be lucky to even get 50% of the carries here.

44 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I agree that this is likely what we will do, but Henry could be a difference maker for this offense.  Having 2 unstoppable forces in the backfield would be tough to stop with the proper playcalling. 

But it all depends on his market-  if teams are offering him 4-5M, maybe he’d take 3.  Is he going to make 7-9M at this stage in his career?  🤷🏻‍♂️ but I know he doesn’t have a Lombardi.  Pairing him and cook would be legit if we can get him on a ring chasing contract.   Unlikely though…. I agree

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree that this is likely what we will do, but Henry could be a difference maker for this offense.  Having 2 unstoppable forces in the backfield would be tough to stop with the proper playcalling. 

But it all depends on his market-  if teams are offering him 4-5M, maybe he’d take 3.  Is he going to make 7-9M at this stage in his career?  🤷🏻‍♂️ but I know he doesn’t have a Lombardi.  Pairing him and cook would be legit if we can get him on a ring chasing contract.   Unlikely though…. I agree

If Elliott got $3 in the condition he looked on the way out in Dallas, Henry will get at least 4.5-5. Maybe more from a team looking to sell Jerseys and Tickets for having a Superstar on their team.

In the condition we're in, we're not going to allocate those kind of funds to a guy who will split carries with Cook. We didn't even do that last season, when Cook was a way bigger question mark than he is now and he we were in a (slightly) better condition cap wise.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Do you still want Hollywood Brown? Because we aren't going to be able to afford that and hand $5m per to Henry. And if we could, then best believe all 3 of the first picks would have to go to the starting position holes at DE, DT, and Safety.

There's no scenario where we pay for Henry, Brown, and use 2 of the top 3 Draft Picks on WR. None.

And why would Henry want to go to a team that already has a Pro Bowl RB on it? He'd be lucky to get even get 50% of the carries here.

I'm very interested in seeing how the FA WR market is with such a deep WR draft incoming. A WR starved team may make a big splash and plan to get one in the draft like the Panthers, but I think someone like Darnell Mooney may be left out in the cold asking for much more than 8-9M AAV.

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If Elliott got $3 in the condition he looked on the way out in Dallas, Henry will get at least 4.5-5. Maybe more from a team looking to sell Jerseys and Tickets for having a Superstar on their team.

In the condition we're in, we're not going to allocate those kind of funds to a guy who will split carries with Cook. We didn't even do that last season, when Cook was a way bigger question mark than he is now and he we were in a (slightly) better condition cap wise.

Well, that’s kind of my point.  Zeke got 3 from a non contender.  If Henry’s best offer is 4-5M from a non contender, maybe he’ll accept 3M to join us and chase a ring.  Big paying, but I think he’d be worth 3M.  We’re maybe Siran Neal and Matakavich 3M

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm very interested in seeing how the FA WR market is with such a deep WR draft incoming. A WR starved team may make a big splash and plan to get one in the draft like the Panthers, but I think someone like Darnell Mooney may be left out in the cold asking for much more than 8-9M AAV.

Someone will overplay their hand and fall through the crack in that 2nd tier. That's actually where my head is at.

Find a Leonard Floyd type at WR late that is left standing when musical chairs stop, Draft a WR Round 1, and another in like Round 4 or 5.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Someone will overplay their hand and fall through the crack in that 2nd tier. That's actually where my head is at.

Find a Leonard Floyd type at WR late that is left standing when musical chairs stop, Draft a WR Round 1, and another in like Round 4 or 5.

And sign Derrick Henry!

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Well, that’s kind of my point.  Zeke got 3 from a non contender.  If Henry’s best offer is 4-5M from a non contender, maybe he’ll accept 3M to join us and chase a ring.  Big paying, but I think he’d be worth 3M.  We’re maybe Siran Neal and Matakavich 3M

Henry was still running relatively strong last season. Elliott was toast his last year in Dallas. Baltimore had a trade in place for him before the Titans owner nixed it. He's going to have way more offers than Elliott did and they aren't all going to be from non-contenders. And places like Baltimore will make him the guy. Not just a change of pace heavy.

Just now, FireChans said:

And sign Derrick Henry!

You are aware that we're ~52m over the cap, with 22 Free Agents, including holes at Starting WR, DE, DT (of which we only have ONE DT under contract), and Safety (maybe both Safety spots if we move on from Poyer), right?

Spending ~5m on a RB when we already have a Pro Bowler there is a luxury item we simply cannot afford.

I agree he’ll have more offers than Elliott and likely will make more money….but we’re talking about a 30 year old RB in the NFL.  It’s conceivable he doesn’t get a solid offer from a contender.  

Like I’ve said- I don’t think it’s likely…..but it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

55 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I’m not sure he will be looking for that much loot personally.

I’m not arguing for this move, I’m just saying I think it might happen.

I didn’t think you were. Im having a difficult time seeing it that’s all 😊

57 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

they are all looking for loot. He’s still a high mileage back that is also on the wrong side of 30

the 10th highest paid back in 23 was at 6m for a bit of harsh reality with running backs. 

im not advocating but think he could potentially be much cheaper than many here are thinking