Mitch Morse and Eric Wood. Centered On Buffalo.

Gregg

Nice interview.  Fun and informative on the OG's and OL overall (especially on Torrence).  Inside track!  Thanks for posting.

I was wrong about wanting to replace Morse a while back, but I'm hoping Morse is mentoring Bates.  Is Bates the future? 

Yay or nay?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Nice interview.  Fun and informative on the OG's and OL overall (especially on Torrence).  Inside track!  Thanks for posting.

I was wrong about wanting to replace Morse a while back, but I'm hoping Morse is mentoring Bates.  Is Bates the future? 

Yay or nay?

He's coming on his 5th year and not been able to break the starting lineup yet and/or replaced by others (see McGovern). I think he's a career backup, not a horrible because of his position flexibility but I'd rather find a younger successor to Morse tbh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

He's coming on his 5th year and not been able to break the starting lineup yet and/or replaced by others (see McGovern). I think he's a career backup, not a horrible because of his position flexibility but I'd rather find a younger successor to Morse tbh. 

I see OC as a relatively high draft need (not so much FA need).  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Yay or nay?

I think Bates will be here because of his contract. The cap savings are minimal if he is cut. I do think he is probably the future. I think he is a good player and I think he can be a starting center in this league, likely matching what Morse can do. Perhaps he is just a backup, but there are not too many really good starting centers in the league, so the bar is pretty low. But he has great feet, he's strong and athletic. I don't see much of a dropoff if any. 

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We need to draft a Center that can take over as early as next year, in this draft.

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Bates will be here because of his contract. The cap savings are minimal if he is cut. I do think he is probably the future. I think he is a good player and I think he can be a starting center in this league, likely matching what Morse can do. Perhaps he is just a backup, but there are not too many really good starting centers in the league, so the bar is pretty low. But he has great feet, he's strong and athletic. I don't see much of a dropoff if any. 

You can also tell how highly Beane thinks of him when he's discussed Bates in the past. He's used the term "Steady Eddie" to describe him and these types of players are invaluable to a franchise.

I think Bates on the whole is about the definition nof "league average". However, with the way OL play looks around the NFL (especially IOL) there is no doubt in my mind that Bates could start for a good number of teams. We are fortunate to have him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I did a mock draft and Sedric Van Pran fell to us at 99.  If this happens Beane would have to grab him.  It would give him the opportunity to trade Bates, recover Bates’ cap hit and use it to help the defense.

I doubt SVP lasts that long but if he’s there he is very hard to pass up. My only counter argument is that Center is a *future* need, and we have a lot of needs in the here-and-now to address.

I put our needs in order of priority as follows:

WR, DT, S, CB, LB, OC, OT

Now, as you said, if a guy who could be a potential anchor for 10+ years is sitting there it’s hard to overlook that, but I don’t think we will find a player of that caliber falling that far.

6 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I doubt SVP lasts that long but if he’s there he is very hard to pass up. My only counter argument is that Center is a *future* need, and we have a lot of needs in the here-and-now to address.

Now, as you said, if a guy who could be a potential anchor for 10+ years is sitting there it’s hard to overlook that, but I don’t think we will find a player of that caliber falling that far.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is where the over drafting of DE and RB high have hurt us. Groot, AJE, Basham. Then Singletary, Moss, Cook. In theory the cupboard could have been stocked for replacement OL, WR, and Safety. 

But also nobody bats .1000 and we have a pretty good football team. 

Something about If's and but's, and aunts and uncles or whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love the 25 (light beers) before 5:00pm challenge.  But I want no part of the “explosive diarrhea” that may come with it.  😂 

I’d have to be wearing a life preserver before I got half way. 

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Agreed, his versatility, in a pinch, he can play any O Line position and for that I would keep him.,

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Van Pran can play either guard slot as well.  It’s also why I said you can trade Bates, make Van Pran the backup at guard and center.  Trade Bates and you have $5 million in can savings to get a DT or S in trade to keep from having a rookie starting at one of those positions.  

3 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Those needs (good list and order btw) aren’t all going to get filled via this draft. SVP aside, the opportunity to find a good, developmental OC on day 3 is very realistic. If a higher caliber OC fell to 99 - the end of round 3 - they very well could be the best value. 

Interesting topic that I have been pondering as well. So much depends on how the board falls and if the Bills stay in their current draft order. Let’s assume the run on WR occurs and you don’t have a rd1 on any other WR.  Also DE is off the board as well. Obviously I want a playmaking difference maker at WR first and foremost.

How would you feel if they went with drafting a C at 28?  Jackson Powers-Johnson, C from Oregon has a late 1st rd grade. 330lbs 6’3”

Would be an immediate starter for the next 10 years.

Unanimous All-American and Rimington Award winner

Team captain and two-way player for a three-time state championship winner at Corner Canyon High School in Utah, where he also lettered three times in baseball and WRESTLING. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Van Pran can play either guard slot as well.  It’s also why I said you can trade Bates, make Van Pran the backup at guard and center.  Trade Bates and you have $5 million in can savings to get a DT or S in trade to keep from having a rookie starting at one of those positions.  

Whilst he made it that far in your mock draft …he might be gone by the third round pick   … you want to take him in the second?

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He might not be there in the third just because he made it that far in your mock draft  … you want to take him in the second?

Depends.  I like some of the safeties who would be there at 60, but there are a few safeties I also like nearly as well would will be there at 99.  If we see thinking about Van Pran late second or early third,  we may be able to trade down a few slots in the first, pick up a 3rd and then draft Van Pran early in the 3rd that way and not use our second.

Given our needs, I have been suggestion for a while to trade down from our 1st to get an extra 3rd so that we have 4 top 100 picks to get a WR, S, DT and maybe a C to replace Morse long-term and to protect in case of injury and Van Pran fits that mold perfectly.

17 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Interesting topic that I have been pondering as well. So much depends on how the board falls and if the Bills stay in their current draft order. Let’s assume the run on WR occurs and you don’t have a rd1 on any other WR.  Also DE is off the board as well. Obviously I want a playmaking difference maker at WR first and foremost.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.