Josh running out of time?

oldmanfan

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

He averaged 66 yards a game on the ground. He's a good player just not a threat that opponents have to game plan for.

What on earth are you talking about?! He had a bit over 1,100 yards rushing and like 450 receiving...I'll help you do the math quick...

1,100 + 450 = 1,550

1,550 ÷ 17 = over 91 yards a game

Teams were absolutely game planning for him, one of the opposing coaches called him the best Bills rb since Thurman Thomas.

I'm just confused by this take, it's really confusing and just ignores reality.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He will be 28 to kick off the year.

i don’t think he will be a Brady or manning that’s still at a high level 10 years from now 

I suspect we have this year with McDermott 

and then if that doesn’t get it then one rebuild before he’s past his prime. And realistically, if that rebuild doesn’t hit in the first 2 (maaaaybe 3)years, I don’t like our odds. 

And that’s a real bummer to think about. Drives me nuts how many fans didn’t want to push the chips all in a few years back because they were scared of the cap. It’s just not that much more fun to predictably be eliminated a couple weeks later than the 20 years prior.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

John Elway needed Terrell Davis. I like Cook but he's not someone defenses have to account for. We need a weapon at RB that motivates opponents to put 8 in the box

Maybe in the 90's.  Two elite WR weapons are way more important in today's NFL as far as winning a Super Bowl.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

So the other day I was on Spotrac looking at some Bills contracts. Looked at Josh. Then the thought hit me. What if Josh gets Really frustrated here. He could force a trade out of here in 2026 when he's 30. Even easier the following year

unless Pegs is insane that would result in a new HC or whatever to make him happy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Maybe in the 90's.  Two elite WR weapons are way more important in today's NFL as far as winning a Super Bowl.

You also need a top 5 defense. If you look at the SB winners over the last 10-15 years, they all had top defenses except for KC and NE, and even they played like a top defenses during those runs.  They improved drastically in the playoffs.

Bucs were 1 both times

Rams were 1

KC and SF this year 2&3

Philly (lost) but was still 1

Ravens were top 3 both 

Seahawks were 1

Denver(Manning) were 1

Giants were 1 or 2

Steelers were top 3

Colts (Manning) top 3?

The narrative that you can win with the 12th or worse ranked defense has never been true. The defense can really be no worse than 7th and trending up to have a shot.

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

John Elway needed Terrell Davis. I like Cook but he's not someone defenses have to account for. We need a weapon at RB that motivates opponents to put 8 in the box

I think he could be, he's only going into his third year as a pro and was top 5 (ish) in yards from scrimmage. If he works on catching the EASY touchdowns I think defenses will certainly key on him more. I was super encouraged by his and shakirs development, I also think Kincaid will give defenses problems. And to answer the OP, no I don't think Josh is running out of time. Go Bills.

Josh takes so many hits and he isn’t effective as a pure pocket passer, hence the sped up timeline. So it’s not that he can’t win in his 30s but he’ll likely need much more help to win at that point.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Jim Kelly was 30 when he played in his first Super Bowl. 

And we only got Kelly for 10 years due to his late start in the NFL. I think Brady and Rodgers have made a lot of people think having 20+ year careers and playing into your 40s is now going to become the norm for great QBs. Josh Allen will not be playing into his 40s. I’d bet the farm on that. We don’t know how many years he has left. So yeah, I’d say there is urgency. You only get so many swings at the can. 

I think the Bills should change coaches...but forgetting that for a minute....the Bills have put together 2 back to back really good draft classes, and even though they have some cap issues to work through this offseason, there is young talent in place.  If the Bills can put together another good class, then the window remains wide open.

Josh still has plenty of time, but with the cap hits now being big...the draft becomes more important.  No reason to think Beane can't get another good class this year.  Should be another good WR class.  

Bills also looking to be in good position to win the east again next year...Miami suffering from CAP issues AND their QB can't lift the play of others around him....he has to have elite WR's, brilliant playcalling etc to have a shot.  Good teams are able to stop them.  I think they take a step back.  The Pats will suck again.  And I don't think 41 year old Rodgers has enough left in the tank to make the Jets anything better than a fringe playoff team.  

The Bills will be right back knocking on the door again next year.  

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship.  Here’s a link to ages of all SB winning QBs:

Lots of older guys, some younger guys.  I think the average age is around 31.  

So he’s got plenty of time.  He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK.

Much better odds once they replace McDermott,  let's hope Terry does not wait too long.  

4 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I think the Bills should change coaches...but forgetting that for a minute....the Bills have put together 2 back to back really good draft classes, and even though they have some cap issues to work through this offseason, there is young talent in place.  If the Bills can put together another good class, then the window remains wide open.

Josh still has plenty of time, but with the cap hits now being big...the draft becomes more important.  No reason to think Beane can't get another good class this year.  Should be another good WR class.  

Bills also looking to be in good position to win the east again next year...Miami suffering from CAP issues AND their QB can't lift the play of others around him....he has to have elite WR's, brilliant playcalling etc to have a shot.  Good teams are able to stop them.  I think they take a step back.  The Pats will suck again.  And I don't think 41 year old Rodgers has enough left in the tank to make the Jets anything better than a fringe playoff team.  

The Bills will be right back knocking on the door again next year.  

Bills need to add to the receiver room,  I think they are good on the line and maybe draft a center.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Josh is 28 next season. Very few people on that list past 32 or 33. Very few.  4-5 years left to get it done sort of adds a bit more urgency dontcha think?

Yes! So let's keep hiring experiments for coordinators.

With the amount of talent Josh Allen has, the Bills should win two Super Bowls imo.  One would be great and I don’t mean to sound greedy here but to me, if they don’t win at least two, it will be disappointing.  The team should be in “WIN NOW” mode.  Allen is 27 years old and as young as that is, there have been missed opportunities and the Bills can’t get those back.  If Allen does not have a ring by 30.. all anyone will talk about is that he is another hall of fame QB like Marino and Kelly.  Good players, no rings. 

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship.  Here’s a link to ages of all SB winning QBs:

Lots of older guys, some younger guys.  I think the average age is around 31.  

So he’s got plenty of time.  He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK.

"He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK."

Is it ok? My fear is that age will impact him more than a typical qb due to how much of his game is running. And I'm not just talking about mobility, but flat out running for difficult yards. He's going to have a transition to make in the next few years, time will tell if he can pull it off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.