Lions fans mad at Dan Campbell. Bills fans mad at Sean McDermott. Would you trade McD for Campbell

Chaos

As a Bills fan would you trade Sean McDermott for Dan Campbell  

293 members have voted

1. 1. As a Bills fan would you trade Sean McDermott for Dan Campbell

2. 2. Do you think the majority of Lions fans would approve of a trade of Dan Campbell for Sean McDermott

I understand being aggressive on 4th down early in games because you have the opportunity to cover the mistake if you dont convert.

But if you are up by 2 scores, and you have the chance to kick a FG - take the damn points.  It isn't a situation where you are trying to claw every point out, so you take heavy risk to try to get 7 instead of 3.  You have the lead, you have a chance to build on it.  

Campbell seems like a guy who can learn, I wonder if he will adjust moving forward.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We’re the chiefs rams and bengals perennial champs when their current head coaches took over ?

Not sure why we continue to compare to these teams they were stacked with Talent outside of Josh Allen and perhaps Stephon Diggs where is this Elite Talent.

Where is the wide receiver Talent where are the multiple Pro Bowl defensive players or offensive players or wide receivers?

This team was ***** for decades McDermott turned it all around and this team is close we're a few pieces away.

McDer

29 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Not sure why we continue to compare to these teams they were stacked with Talent outside of Josh Allen and perhaps Stephon Diggs where is this Elite Talent.

Where is the wide receiver Talent where are the multiple Pro Bowl defensive players or offensive players or wide receivers?

This team was ***** for decades McDermott turned it all around and this team is close we're a few pieces away.

McDermott took over an 8-9 team. He went 9-8 the next year. Then got Josh Allen.  The only meaningful comparison to the drought era coaching is that he was 1 game better than the comparable roster Rex Ryan had the year before. 

In a heartbeat.  I love Dan Campbell.

Sean McDermott is to the Bills right now what Tony Dungy was to Tampa Bay in the late 90's early 00's.  He has taken the team as far as it can go.  There is no shame for McDermott in moving on and he will be a head coach somewhere else.  Its a replacement business. 

This is the perfect offseason to hire an offensive minded head coach, you know like KC, SF, Rams, Bengals, Eagles etc....outside of New England all the other champions of the last 10 years have offensive head coaches.  Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Gary Kubiak.

Instead they are refusing to accept the truth staring them in the face and they are going to just let Sean McDermott take another shot at out scheming the opponent because this year might be the year he does it.

IMO it is time for a change but obviously they are not going to to do that so I am not going to harp on it over and over this offseason, its a pointless exercise. 

They have the 2nd best qb in the game, a fantastic offensive line, a good young rb, two excellent tight ends and two good wr.  An offensive minded head coach come in and pick the new WR's to finish out this group and hire a veteran defensive coordinator who can concentrate on defense only.  This is the perfect time do to it.   What's the worst that happens, the defense doesn't play well in the playoffs and gets them beat?

11 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Not saying McD is perfect. In fact I've been pretty pissed about a handful of his decisions, but I remember the turnstile of coaches we went through during the drought. That sucked too.  

Yes, bills changed coaches every three years.  No more of that, please.  (ok 2- years for REX)  the Bean/McD cooperation is as good as it gets in the NFL.  If you fire one, you will have to get  the other replaced as well.

Given the point in thr game and situation….hr should have kicked the FG restoring the 3 score/17 point lead.

you don’t know the psychology on the FG made vs the cheer of a D stop.  SF got ball at 28 which is the same as 25. Can assume they go out and get a TD, and thr following turnover to TD.  I don’t recall a situation of go for it on 4 th in FG range vs kick a FG being down 17.  If SF was down say 17 or 10 thry might have kicked a FG instead of 4 th doen attempt.

2. I would have waited till 4 th to consider a run. 

interesting fact. If they were stopped inside the 1 bring down 10– they had a high probability of getting a safety, get ball back and get a TD+2 than getting a TD/FG/ onside kick/FG/TD score.

Strange question ok than....Pick your poison so to speak.....One is way overly aggresive (Campbell of course) to the point where its costed his team on more than one occasion....Whereas the other can be overly cautious which also has costed his team on more than one occasion....I dont know guess now i would slightly lean on McDermott....Cant get out of my head if our defence was at least close to 100% all season how far we could of actually gone this season?

Other poster said earlier Ben Johnson....in a heartbeat!

Yesterday's game is the perfect example why head coaching changes are overrated.

Yes, the decisions that coaches make are HUGELY important to the outcome of games.  And in retrospect, if Dan Campbell decides to kick those field goals instead of going for it on 4th Down, the Lions almost certainly win the game and go to the Super Bowl.  Running the ball at the goal line also cost them a timeout, which would have allowed the defense one more crack at getting the ball.

But at the same time, you absolutely cannot blame Campbell for the outcome of those plays.  On both 4th Downs, receivers were open and dropped the ball.  That's execution by the players.  Not the coach's fault.  The running play was definitely more risky than a pass, but he was trying to catch the defense off-guard and it simply didn't work.  

Switch Campbell out for Bill Belichick/Don Shula/Vince Lombardi, and maybe the outcome of this game is different.  But maybe some other games along the way don't workout for the Lions, because those coaches were less aggressive.  Bottom line... what most coaches get criticized/praised for during their careers falls back 95% on the players.  Whether to punt, go for it, kick the field goal.  When to run trick plays.  With the benefit of hindsight (and knowing whether it worked or not), decisions can look brilliant or stupid.  

In my opinion, offensive/defensive coordinators are more important... because they are matching scheme to talent.

I voted no on Campbell.  I think he is a great coach for the Lions, but watching that aggressive style of play calling all of the time would be nerve wracking.  It is fun to see him gamble and take risks, but if the Lions were my team, it would drive me crazy.  

13 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

One is aggressive and the other cautious but both seem to blow it under pressure.

At least Campbell has Balls . McClapperson is a cautious rabbit that drives me insane. What kind of message does being cautious send to a football team that are supposed to be blood thirsty maniacs? Answer? The team we have now who know that they are going to blow it with no confidence. Just like our coach.

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I missed the second half...was his big mistake going for it on fourth in the first half, and not kicking the FG? Or did he do something silly in the 2nd half?

SF kicked a FG on the first drive of the 2nd half to make 24-10. The Lions moved into FG range on the next drive. Instead of kicking the FG and making it 27-10. He went for it on 4th down and didn't get it. The WR didn't catch the ball, but he was open. SF then made it 24-17 and it snowballed from there. In the 4th quarter with the Niners up 27-24 he had a chance to tie the game with a FG but went for it on 4th down and didn't make it. SF then went down the field and made it 34-24 which pretty much ended the game.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Not saying McD is perfect. In fact I've been pretty pissed about a handful of his decisions, but I remember the turnstile of coaches we went through during the drought. That sucked too.  

We all do, but for all the arguments to keep him this one I struggle with the most. It's not one or the other. The drought happened because we never had a QB. The coaches got turned over as a result. I feel like we are hanging on to a guy that can't get it done out of fear it might be worse. I doubt 13 seconds happens under Gaily or Rex. 

Jauron, yes probably. 

25 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I missed the second half...was his big mistake going for it on fourth in the first half, and not kicking the FG? Or did he do something silly in the 2nd half?

No, quite the opposite.  DC went conservative at the end of the first half and then overly aggressive in the third and fourth quarters.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

McDer

McDermott took over an 8-9 team. He went 9-8 the next year. Then got Josh Allen.  The only meaningful comparison to the drought era coaching is that he was 1 game better than the comparable roster Rex Ryan had the year before. 

Took over a 7-9 team went 9-7. Two games better and with a worse roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Campbell put in them in the position to win last night but also made some blunders that made their loss not just possible but eventually inevitable. In the end I think its a wash for both. The reason Detroit lost is that in the crucial moments the players themselves didnt make the plays:

1. The Killer fumble

2. The db not intercepting the deep overthrow to Samuel but assisting him to catch it (Cam Lewis/Justin Jefferson style) instead of knocking it down.

3. Goff misfiring on a few throws where it looked like it slips out of his hands and the receiver was open.

4. Dropped passes that were well thrown in the receivers hands (one on 4th down).

5. An easy dropped INT that might have been a pick 6?

6. At least 3 whiffed sacks on Purdy where he ran for huge gains

Thats just what I can remember. They are a young team and obviously in those situations the pressure just ate them up.

6 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

We all do, but for all the arguments to keep him this one I struggle with the most. It's not one or the other. The drought happened because we never had a QB. The coaches got turned over as a result. I feel like we are hanging on to a guy that can't get it done out of fear it might be worse. I doubt 13 seconds happens under Gaily or Rex. 

Jauron, yes probably. 

Every drought coach was worse than McDermott. Of course none of them had a QB but they were all less able coaches. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.