Playoff defense not just bad, next level awful

Mikie2times

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would be helpful to know how the offenses we played in the regular season were ranked compared to the offenses in the postseason. You can pad stats against bad qbs/ teams on the regular season. A little different against Mahomes and Burrow.

The zone defense has been atrocious against the Elite and sometimes even good QBs during the playoffs, they pick it apart. I like McDermott but wish he would have been hacked and we could have brought in a real defensive scheme, I miss that Schwartz defense we had even though it was just 1 year we had it, it was a real defense.

"Sean McDermott's Bills Defense in the last four playoff eliminations: (Chiefs x 3, Bengals x 1)

38 Drives

16 Touchdowns

8 Field Goals

6 Punts

6 Kneel-downs/End of Half

1 Missed Field Goal

1 Turnover

134 Points allowed"

yeah; I think the playoff defense has pretty much sucked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

I think the majority of people claim the offense is at fault because we know what they are capable of and have underperformed. No one is relying on the defense to win the game. Big difference. 

It’s been a consistent theme of guys not showing up except Josh…

🤷‍♂️

That was certainly evident this year. The one year someone other than Josh “showed up” was Davis in the 13 seconds game.  

14 minutes ago, billrooter said:

The zone defense has been atrocious against the Elite and sometimes even good QBs during the playoffs, they pick it apart. I like McDermott but wish he would have been hacked and we could have brought in a real defensive scheme, I miss that Schwartz defense we had even though it was just 1 year we had it, it was a real defense.

The scheme doesn't hold up against the better QB's. We basically don't play man defense. If we do we don't have the players to execute it at a high level. The Tampa style defense has a long history of folding in the playoffs. Glad we are married to it 👍

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

All year the book on the Chiefs was score more than 20 points and you win the game. The Ravens game ends up being the same script.

The Bills end the season being the ONLY team all year to score more than 20 on the Chiefs and lose the game. Another frustrating end to the season caused solely by our defense. And I see no path to fixing it next year. We're stuck in neutral. ****

Come on now Happy it wasn’t solely in the defense.. special teams helped out a little bit as well. 😅

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Is Hunter that guy?

Probably not.

But his 16.5 sacks would have been the 3rd most in a season for a Buffalo Bill behind Bruce Smith with 19 in 1990 and Bryce Paup with 17.5 in 1995..........and its the 3rd 70+ tackle and 14+ sack season he's had in the last 5 years.    He is a freak of nature and we haven't had anyone with his pass rush skill since the 1990's.   As great as Mario was he wasn't a pure pass rusher.  

And as we saw with Von Miller in 2022......if you can force QB's to step up in the pocket Greg Rousseau has a special knack for finding them.   

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

Why don’t you include playoffs on a whole instead of losses

Even playoffs on the whole, off the top of my head they have only been "meh" compared to their regular season dominance. 

Colts wild card they were total garbage and bailed out by the offense.

Ravens divisional. they were great in a game that had weather conditions that clearly hampered both offenses to a great deal. Honestly hard to even gauge how great they were given the conditions. 

Patriots wild card, they were good in a game where the offense was literally perfect. Both units beat up on the trash units of the Patriots. But the Patriots defense was the strength of that team, top 5 in both ppg and ypg, and yet the Billf offense had a perfect game. The Patriots offense was average that season and the defense still allowed 14 points. They couldn't even hold them to under 10 and the offense was literally the worst unit on that Patriots team. 

Dolphins wild card. Mixed bag. They give up 24 points. They were put in tough situations by an offense that turned the ball over three times but still managed to score 34 points. But they were playing a third string QB and you would think they could have kept the Dolphins offense to 20 points or less even with the turnovers. 

Steelers wild card. I won't get on them too much for this game. Sure, it would have been nice if they had a dominating performance from start to finish. In the end they gave up 17 points against a well-known bad offense that averaged 17 ppg for the season. I'd say that is the definition of a "meh" defensive performance. Had they given up just one more FG on the day it would have been a straight up bad defensive performance. 

As for your question of why just point out the elimination games and not all the playoff games, well because one side of the ball is at least showing up half the time or more against the best competition. The defense is literally a no show against the stiffest competition every single postseason. How are we supposed to make a super bowl if we can't get both units clicking against the best playoff competition? 

Why are the Chiefs going to yet another Super Bowl? Is it because their unbelievable offense scored 17 points against the Ravens? No, because their defense held the Ravens to 10 points. I can't even fathom a Bills defense holding a divisional or conference championship opponent to such a low total. I'll be happy if they can just hold the next team they play in such a game to 24 or less. The Bills defense in their last four divisional / conference championship games: 38, 42, 27 and 27 points given up. So basically, the Bills offense has to be great every single game against the best coemption. They can't have an off day where they only score 20 or 24 points and still expect to win. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BBFL said:

I think the majority of people claim the offense is at fault because we know what they are capable of and have underperformed. No one is relying on the defense to win the game. Big difference. 

It’s been a consistent theme of guys not showing up except Josh…

🤷‍♂️

Is it true that the offense has underperformed though? I think the offense performed almost exactly to their regular season standard last week against KC. The only divisional/championship game they really fell totally flat was last year against the Bengals. 

9 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

In the Ravens and Bills game, both teams had the worst EPA of the season on offense. I'm guessing the wind played a roll in that.

FireChans, doesn't believe in wind. It's just a total coincidence that Bass and Tucker (GOAT kicker by the way) both missed 2 FG's each of gimmie 40 yard distance. Nah, wind wasn't a factor in either team being able to move the ball. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's why I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Bills took a swing at signing Danielle Hunter in UFA if he gets there.    Despite their cap issues.

How about Josh Allen?? You can't not make it to a Super Bowl with two Josh Allen's. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

One thing I will say in Beane's defense on this is that every GM has these misses. Just look at the Chiefs under Brett Veach. They used a 1st round pick on a RB which is a cardinal sin of modern football, and worse that RB didn't even turn out to be a good player. This past offseason they also failed to sign Hopkins, instead choosing to give out a massive contract to a RT which again is a cardinal sin, and again the RT didn't turn out to be a good player. These two awful mistakes could have sunk the team. But the Chiefs happen to also have an elite coaching staff, so they have more than overcome it.

Or look at the Eagles. Most people consider Howie Roseman to be the best GM in football. But his team was undone late in the season and then in the playoffs because of poor coaching.

So I guess looking at the totality of Beane's work in recent years I think overall it is actually pretty good relative to other Super Bowl contenders. Coaching, especially in the playoffs, is where we are seeing a big discrepancy between us and the other contenders IMO.

And to your point, there's a lot of stats out there that will show that since 2019/2020, or the last 4-5 years, the Bills are easily the second-best team in the entire NFL, only behind the Chiefs. They have been consistently great for 4-5 years now. Only the Chiefs can claim the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Fetou said:

What we do against the Bengals can't even be called a defense.

Bengals absolutely own McDermott. If Hamlin doesn't die on the field, we are literally talking three straight games where the Bengals offense starts the game with TD's on each of their first two possessions. 

I’d give mcd an injury pass this year but no other years.  One more divisional round exit or worse I’d probably move on if someone is available that they like 

I don’t see a lot of teams winning in the playoff with lbs that had to cancel vacations to be available because 3 linebackers are injured lol 

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’d give mcd an injury pass this year but no other years.  One more divisional round exit or worse I’d probably move on if someone is available that they like 

I don’t see a lot of teams winning in the playoff with lbs that had to cancel vacations to be available because 3 linebackers are injured lol 

I will give them a pass for the KC loss this season due to the injuries. 

I will add to my earlier post is that one thing McDermott has been terrible at and hasn't gotten better is half time adjustments. 

5 hours ago, Billsturfwars said:

"Sean McDermott's Bills Defense in the last four playoff eliminations: (Chiefs x 3, Bengals x 1)

38 Drives

16 Touchdowns

8 Field Goals

6 Punts

6 Kneel-downs/End of Half

1 Missed Field Goal

1 Turnover

134 Points allowed"

yeah; I think the playoff defense has pretty much sucked.

Damn. It felt that bad too. Continuously shredded in playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

The scheme doesn't hold up against the better QB's. We basically don't play man defense. If we do we don't have the players to execute it at a high level. The Tampa style defense has a long history of folding in the playoffs. Glad we are married to it 👍

Yeah. It really is the scheme. It’s also undersized and when 1 guy goes down in a game, the entire defense collapses.

It takes McD 2-3 weeks to adjust his defense to injuries unlike the Chiefs that just adjust on the fly in the same game. That’s not acceptable when all of your team’s resources are being spent on that side of the ball.

Edited by Governor

44 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Even playoffs on the whole, off the top of my head they have only been "meh" compared to their regular season dominance. 

Colts wild card they were total garbage and bailed out by the offense.

Ravens divisional. they were great in a game that had weather conditions that clearly hampered both offenses to a great deal. Honestly hard to even gauge how great they were given the conditions. 

Patriots wild card, they were good in a game where the offense was literally perfect. Both units beat up on the trash units of the Patriots. But the Patriots defense was the strength of that team, top 5 in both ppg and ypg, and yet the Billf offense had a perfect game. The Patriots offense was average that season and the defense still allowed 14 points. They couldn't even hold them to under 10 and the offense was literally the worst unit on that Patriots team. 

Dolphins wild card. Mixed bag. They give up 24 points. They were put in tough situations by an offense that turned the ball over three times but still managed to score 34 points. But they were playing a third string QB and you would think they could have kept the Dolphins offense to 20 points or less even with the turnovers. 

Steelers wild card. I won't get on them too much for this game. Sure, it would have been nice if they had a dominating performance from start to finish. In the end they gave up 17 points against a well-known bad offense that averaged 17 ppg for the season. I'd say that is the definition of a "meh" defensive performance. Had they given up just one more FG on the day it would have been a straight up bad defensive performance. 

As for your question of why just point out the elimination games and not all the playoff games, well because one side of the ball is at least showing up half the time or more against the best competition. The defense is literally a no show against the stiffest competition every single postseason. How are we supposed to make a super bowl if we can't get both units clicking against the best playoff competition? 

Why are the Chiefs going to yet another Super Bowl? Is it because their unbelievable offense scored 17 points against the Ravens? No, because their defense held the Ravens to 10 points. I can't even fathom a Bills defense holding a divisional or conference championship opponent to such a low total. I'll be happy if they can just hold the next team they play in such a game to 24 or less. The Bills defense in their last four divisional / conference championship games: 38, 42, 27 and 27 points given up. So basically, the Bills offense has to be great every single game against the best coemption. They can't have an off day where they only score 20 or 24 points and still expect to win. 

This is a legitimately absurd criticism, and more evidence that this agenda has reached its zenith of inanity. That Pats team was averaging 27.2 PPG (good enough for top 6 in the league, certainly meh lmao) and they had 3 points and 2 turnovers until 4 minutes left in the third Q when the game was no longer a game (because they were down 30 points).

"They couldn't even hold them under 10" is an absolutely bananaland argument.  As if any team would care that they racked up some garbage time points.

Btw, the Pats had put up 21 on the Bills like 3 weeks prior.

Enjoy the crusade against McD that won't matter.

11 minutes ago, Governor said:

Yeah. It really is the scheme. It’s also undersized and when 1 guy goes down in a game, the entire defense collapses.

It takes McD 2-3 weeks to adjust his defense to injuries unlike the Chiefs that just adjust on the fly in the same game. That’s not acceptable when all of your team’s resources are being spent on that side of the ball.

I kind of empathize with him this year…if kc lost Bolton and chenal and tranquil all at once I don’t think they make it out of the first round. 

it is getting a bit ‘boy who cried wolf’-like though where people were giving him the injury excuse in years past when things weren’t quite this bad 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

People are saying 10 rookies won’t make the roster, but with the amount of FAs and turnover the Bills are about to have, they’re gonna have to bite the bullet somewhere. Those young guys will need to play, just like when KC was starting six rookies or whatever it was last year. 

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is a legitimately absurd criticism, and more evidence that this agenda has reached its zenith of inanity. That Pats team was averaging 27.2 PPG (good enough for top 6 in the league, certainly meh lmao) and they had 3 points and 2 turnovers until 4 minutes left in the third Q when the game was no longer a game (because they were down 30 points).

"They couldn't even hold them under 10" is an absolutely bananaland argument.  As if any team would care that they racked up some garbage time points.

Okay, what do you have to say about the rest? You pick out one little thing where I am wrong. Meanwhile your entire premise is wrong. Even if the D played well against the Pats 15th ranked yardage defense (middle of the pack) who cares? The Bills offense had a perfect game that day. Get back to me when the Bills defense actually shows up in the divisional or championship round. You know, like how K.C.'s defense showed up today against Baltimore in only allowing 10 points, allowing the Chiefs offense to have a below average game and still win comfortably. 

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Okay, what do you have to say about the rest? You pick out one little thing where I am wrong. Meanwhile your entire premise is wrong. Even if the D played well against the Pats 15th ranked yardage defense (middle of the pack) who cares? The Bills offense had a perfect game that day. Get back to me when the Bills defense actually shows up in the divisional or championship round. You know, like how K.C.'s defense showed up today against Baltimore in only allowing 10 points, allowing the Chiefs offense to have a below average game and still win comfortably. 

Well see, when OUR defense shuts down the Ravens in the playoffs, it doesn't count, or something.  When we talk about the defensive performance against the Pats, we base it on allowing points, but rank their offensive performance on the year by their yardage, because that makes total sense.

Its very tiresome.  There are legitimate criticisms against the defense in the playoffs in certain games. You don't need to contort yourself to pretend there are more.

Edited by FireChans

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Well see, when OUR defense shuts down the Ravens in the playoffs, it doesn't count, or something.  When we talk about the defensive performance against the Pats, we base it on allowing points, but rank their offensive performance on the year by their yardage, because that makes total sense.

Its very tiresome.  There are legitimate criticisms against the defense in the playoffs in certain games. You don't need to contort yourself to pretend there are more.

Certain games being like the most important games? The divisional and championship games? Let's not forget it was you who asked the OP why not include all playoff games? 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Certain games being like the most important games? The divisional and championship games? Let's not forget it was you who asked the OP why not include all playoff games? 

Every playoff game is equally important because they are all single elimination.

And yeah, if you want to make a point about the defense being horrible in the "playoffs" as a whole (which is what the topic title says) then you should probably include all of the playoff games, not just the ones we lost.

It would be like saying "the defense is terrible in division games" and only including the division games we lost.  That's silly.

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we knew the problem after 13 seconds.

The Bills lack a true game changer on defense.

The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones........and despite the Bills dominating the Chiefs D for most of that game last Sunday Jones came up big in a big moment.    

It's why I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Bills took a swing at signing Danielle Hunter in UFA if he gets there.    Despite their cap issues.

They could bring him in with a $2M cap hit and push his big hits down the road sorta' like they did with Von.

I'm not predicting it but if they are desperate to close the deal it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see this defense taking a big step without their version of TJ Watt, Aaron Donald or Chris Jones.    Ed Oliver isn't going to be that guy, IMO.

I've said for a while, this Defense desperately needs a Miles Garrett, TJ Watt or Nick Bosa type player. We haven't had that since Mario

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Every playoff game is equally important because they are all single elimination.

And yeah, if you want to make a point about the defense being horrible in the "playoffs" as a whole (which is what the topic title says) then you should probably include all of the playoff games, not just the ones we lost.

It would be like saying "the defense is terrible in division games" and only including the division games we lost.  That's silly.

I actually appreciated you making that point. I had forget how the Colts game actually fit into this sample. I also mistitled it as opposed to leaving teams out intentionally. I tried to capture how these teams that killed us did against other teams. So we could see EPA relative to us and them. In the case of most the other games those teams didn't play anybody else. So I kept the analysis on just the teams that booted us to keep it uniform. Not to mention, I don't care about the Patriots, Steelers, or Thompson led Dolphins. If you have eyes you know we don't struggle against those teams. Those are not the teams preventing us from getting further. So you look at the teams that are doing that. Not exactly rocket science.  

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Even if we include all the games as you are wishing, what do we end up with? I'm guessing we still end up with a defense that still underperforms it's regular season numbers and an offense that equals it's regular season numbers. And no, I have not done fact checking on that but that is just what my memory and I eyeballs can recall. 

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

People def downplay the wins I have noticed haha that pats team was pretty good…

my favorite recent example of this was people talkin up the Steelers offense all week leading up to our game then after we win mason rudolph got demoted back to ‘just a third stringer’ 😂

Chiefs are the most clutch team I’ve ever seen it’s legitimately crazy.  Mvs can’t catch all year then he makes multiple huge catches in back to back playoff games.  They always make the big play when it matters regardless of opponent.  I don’t think good afc teams should be gutting their franchise losing close games to the chiefs in the playoffs 

Even if we include all the games as you are wishing, what do we end up with? I'm guessing we still end up with a defense that still underperforms it's regular season numbers and an offense that equals it's regular season numbers. And no, I have not done fact checking on that but that is just what my memory and I eyeballs can recall. 

I'm not interested in what you guess. You guessed the defense didn't have a good game against the Pats 20 minutes ago.

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

People def downplay the wins I have noticed haha that pats team was pretty good…

my favorite recent example of this was people talkin up the Steelers offense all week leading up to our game then after we win mason rudolph got demoted back to ‘just a third stringer’ 😂

Chiefs are the most clutch team I’ve ever seen it’s legitimately crazy.  Mvs can’t catch all year then he makes multiple huge catches in back to back playoff games.  They always make the big play when it matters regardless of opponent.  I don’t think good afc teams should be gutting their franchise losing close games to the chiefs in the playoffs 

Mason Rudolph had 3 TD's in 3 games, compared to Pickett's 7 TD's in 12 games, and had a passer rating of 118 compared to Pickett's 81.4, and I saw folks say the Steelers game didn't count because they "didn't have their QB," even though Pickett was healthy and Tomlin wanted to roll with Rudolph anyway.

It's actually comical.

Just now, FireChans said:

Mason Rudolph had 3 TD's in 3 games, compared to Pickett's 7 TD's in 12 games, and had a passer rating of 118 compared to Pickett's 81.4, and I saw folks say the Steelers game didn't count because they "didn't have their QB," even though Pickett was healthy and Tomlin wanted to roll with Rudolph anyway.

It's actually comical.

Rudolph won that job hands down…Pickett was healthy and benched.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll give it to you that is funny. 

I'm just happy @Mikie2times has finally come around to this playoff defense sucks take. Not sure why it took him so long though. 

I like what Josh is doing the last half of the year. I think the offense has played poorly in some of these instances, but it's more of a contrarian style view to what the obvious reason is. More than anything, I just feel no hope with McD. When you post #1 or #2 defenses, play a team multiple times. I mean when can we enter a game vs KC or Cinci and ever be thinking it will be different? What could possibly make somebody feel that way at this point.  I Hate our scheme. Any variation of the Tampa 2, fast, smaller, zone, can go bleepity bleep. It folds like a cheap deck against good teams.  

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's actually comical.

Come on Chan's do you think Rudolph is a good QB? Be honest now. It didn't matter if they had Trubitzky, Pickett or Rudolph. Steelers offense is below average. Their defense is their strength and the Bills offense handled them as they should. The Bills defense held the Steelers offense to their averages. 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Come on Chan's do you think Rudolph is a good QB? Be honest now. It didn't matter if they had Trubitzky, Pickett or Rudolph. Steelers offense is below average. Their defense is their strength and the Bills offense handled them as they should. The Bills defense held the Steelers offense to their averages. 

Rudolph was light years beyond trubisky and Pickett…it’s not even remotely close.  Their offense was above average with Rudolph which was the only reason they found themselves in the playoffs.  Dropped 34 on the bengals and 30 on the Seahawks who were both fighting for their playoff lives

this is the kind of revisionist history about bills wins that I’m talking about lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

The obvious counterpoint to FireChans bringing up other games against weaker opponents is that the playoffs are single elimination. So the only thing that ultimately matters is what you do in your final game. We all know the defense can stop the Mason Rudolphs and Skylar Thompsons of the NFL. I thought the goal was to win a Super Bowl. Until we can at least slow down the Joe Burrows and Pat Mahomes of the NFL, we aren't coming close to a Super Bowl win.

Hopefully one more playoff run that ends with an abysmal defensive performance will be enough to convince the absent billionaire who owns our team that it's time for a change at the top. If we're heading into Allen's age 29 season with McDermott still in charge coming off a 6th consecutive disappointing playoff exit, I will be convinced that the Allen era will end without a single Lombardi. Which is really just depressing to consider.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.