2024 WR Draft Class

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Tyler Boyd and a first round wide receiver 

Boyd is a Slot WR, and is projected to get an $8.7M/yr contract. We don't need a slot & probably can't pay that much anyway. I'd argue that Shakir is already as good as Boyd, and on his way up.

Edited by 947
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd think it's much more likely we move up into the mid-late teens for Brian Thomas Jr who seems like he should be just as much of a monster 

I’ll believe Beane giving up the draft assets to do this when I see it … I think the most he will give up is the third rounder which will get them up to 23-24

Edited by Aussie Joe

I watched the First Draft video and came away thinking Brian Thomas would be a perfect fit in this offense and is the realistic guy we should target.

I read through the page 1 comments and everyone's talking about other WRs, but I want to know where Thomas projects in round 1.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:44 AM, Aussie Joe said:

I’ll believe Beane giving up the draft assets to do this when I see it … I think the most he will give up is the third rounder which will get them up to 23-24

Beane gives up draft assets every single year and with 10 draft picks he's going to have more assets to play with than ever.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I watched the First Draft video and came away thinking Brian Thomas would be a perfect fit in this offense and is the realistic guy we should target.

I read through the page 1 comments and everyone's talking about other WRs, but I want to know where Thomas projects in round 1.

Right now it’s before we pick

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Beane gives up draft assets every single year and with 10 draft picks he's going to have more assets to play with than ever.

Huh? Maybe read my comment again… Im saying the third round pick is in play..but it won’t be enough to move up into the mid late teens …. 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm saying Beane has 8 other picks to play with along with that 1st and 3rd round pick.

Well … even the third round pick is more than he has given up for years … throw in the fourth and it still won’t get you there ….If you think he is giving up the second or next years picks… like I said ,,, I’ll believe it when I see it 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well … even the third round pick is more than he has given up for years … throw in the fourth and it still won’t get you there ….If you think he is giving up the second or next years picks… like I said ,,, I’ll believe it when I see it 

Yeah, we have a lot of picks this year. But we also have a lot of holes and not a lot of cash, once he digs us out of the hole we're in. He already gave up his extra 3rd for Rasul Douglas. So he's not going to give up anything more on Day 2. Day 3 picks aren't going to move us up more than a couple picks here or there.

If someone falls to like 25 or something, we'll do a small move up like we did for Kaiir Elam and Dalton Kincaid. But moving up 10 picks, i'd doubt it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

It certainly would be that kind of price to move that far up. I doubt he trades the second. I think next year's picks might come into play. He might do it should Nabers or Odunze unexpectedly fall within range. I could see a smaller move up to go grab Brian Thomas. I rather expect the Chiefs to try and get ahead of us for the WR we covet.

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, we have a lot of picks this year. But we also have a lot of holes and not a lot of cash, once he digs us out of the hole we're in. He already gave up his extra 3rd for Rasul Douglas. So he's not going to give up anything more on Day 2. Day 3 picks aren't going to move us up more than a couple picks here or there.

If someone falls to like 25 or something, we'll do a small move up like we did for Kaiir Elam and Dalton Kincaid. But moving up 10 picks, i'd doubt it.

The problem seems to be that people seem to think “lots of picks” means that they are valuable to move up in the first 

4 of the 10 picks are in the sixth round or later … we have seen in the last two years first hand that  a fourth round pick moves you up two spots in late 20s   … getting up from 28 to like 17 is a price I don’t think they are paying this year …. 

With the depth in this years class … I don’t have a problem if they stay put . they should have a choice of multiple good candidates ..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The problem seems to be that people seem to think “lots of picks” means that they are valuable to move up in the first 

4 of the 10 picks are in the sixth round or later … we have seen in the last two years first hand that  a fourth round pick moves you up two spots  … getting up from 28 to like 17 is a price I don’t think they are paying this year …. 

With the depth in this years class … I don’t have a problem if they stay put l.. they should have a choice of multiple good candidates ..l

Yeah, I think some are still operating under the assumption that the Edmunds compensatory that's coming is an extra 3rd. It's not. It just replaces the 3rd we already traded away.

Moving up 10 picks with some extra picks on Day 3 isn't possible. Every year, fans talk about trading next year's picks. He hasn't done that and with our books the way they are, he can't really afford to.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It certainly would be that kind of price to move that far up. I doubt he trades the second. I think next year's picks might come into play. He might do it should Nabers or Odunze unexpectedly fall within range. I could see a smaller move up to go grab Brian Thomas. I rather expect the Chiefs to try and get ahead of us for the WR we covet.

Nabers or Oduze is a pipe dream. They're universally mocked in the Top 5-10 picks. Them falling would be one on the board at 12-15. The cost to move up even that high would be too great. He's not giving up two 1st's and teams knowing where we pick on a yearly basis, that wouldn't even be enough.

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I think some are still operating under the assumption that the Edmunds compensatory that's coming is an extra 3rd. It's not. It just replaces the 3rd we already traded away.

Moving up 10 picks with some extra picks on Day 3 won't get us very far. Every year, fans talk about trading next year's picks. He hasn't done that and with our books the way they are, he can't really afford to.

I said couple of days ago … are you going to give up the farm to get the perceived  fourth best WR over the 6th best ?

We saw what happened the last time Beane made an “all in “ move … ( Hi Von) … 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Nabers or Oduze is a pipe dream. They're universally mocked in the Top 5-10 picks. Them falling would be one on the board at 12-15. The cost to move up even that high would be too great. He's not giving up two 1st's and teams knowing where we pick on a yearly basis, that wouldn't even be enough.

I don't see it happening. I just said it would take something like that to tempt him. Personally, I'd stay at #28 and hope Legette is there.

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm saying Beane has 8 other picks to play with along with that 1st and 3rd round pick.

6 of those picks are late 5th round or later - those aren’t worth much in trade up in early rounds.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I said couple of days ago … are you going to give up the farm to get the perceived  fourth best WR over the 6th best ?

We saw what happened the last time Beane made an “all in “ move … ( Hi Von) … 

Von Miller was fine until he tore up his knee.  Now, I wasn’t super-keen on paying big for an older player, but that plan was working until the injury.

• Agree 2

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I don't see it happening. I just said it would take something like that to tempt him. Personally, I'd stay at #28 and hope Legette is there.

Yeah, Beane's MO is to move up a a few picks if there's someone there he likes and is afraid one of the teams ahead of him are going to select him. He got antsy with both Kaiir Elam and Dalton Kincaid. If he really likes one of the WR's that have fallen to that 24-27 range, he'll make a call to secure them. But he's not moving up any substantial jump. Fans need not even bother thinking about Harrison, Nabers, or Oduze. 

Any substantial move up's will occur in Rounds 2-7, more likely 3-7. The cost is just too great in Round 1 and we don't have the ammunition.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well.., it ain’t working now 

I think there's a number of things at factor there, beyond just the knee. Between the knee not responding as quickly as he was put on the field and then domestic/legal problems on top of it, he was mentally destroyed.

One thing that I think was a major factor that doesn't get talked about is on top of that, getting sober. As someone who had issues myself, getting clean has a massive impact on your day to day for a while. You essentially have to re-teach yourself how to live from the ground up. Everything you did while using alcohol and substances as a crutch feels completely different and more difficult without it - both mentally and physically. Something as simple as brushing your teeth or making food feels hard. All the while, you battle the urge to not relapse and the feelings that come with that. 

All of those things came together at once and we saw the results. Hopefully, being motivated by being counted out by everyone, having time to rehab his knee further, more time to acclimate to sobriety, and getting the legal stuff behind him - we see something closer to 2022 Von next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think there's a number of things at factor there, beyond just the knee. Between the knee not responding as quickly as he was put on the field and then domestic/legal problems on top of it, he was mentally destroyed.

One thing that I think was a major factor that doesn't get talked about is on top of that, getting sober. As someone who had issues myself, getting clean has a massive impact on your day to day for a while. You essentially have to re-teach yourself how to live from the ground up. Everything you did while using alcohol and substances as a crutch feels completely different without it - both mentally and physically. All the while, you battle the urge to not relapse.

Hopefully, after feeling like he's been counted out by everyone, having time to rehab his knee further, more time to acclimate to sobriety, and getting the legal stuff behind him - we see something closer to 2022 Von next season.

His personal issues aside … I think the way things have turned out for the team… it shows what can happen when you make a risky move when going “all in”…

When this team has got a talent like Josh Allen … I know you got to take some chances … but just be prepared when things don’t go to plan for the consequences to have far reaching effects …

I heard the guy from Spotrac saying that they should try to cut bait from him this offseason…. If he agrees to change his remaining guaranteed money to a signing bonus … you can release him and push out a lot more money to 2025 …you still gotta pay the piper then  though… 

As you said … the alternative is to keep him on the team  and hope he improves …but hen you still dealing with the consequences come 2026 if he doesn’t and you still cut him at the end of 2024 …

38 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

His personal issues aside … I think the way things have turned out for the team… it shows what can happen when you make a risky move when going “all in”…

When this team has got a talent like Josh Allen … I know you got to take some chances … but just be prepared when things don’t go to plan for the consequences to have far reaching effects …

I heard the guy from Spotrac saying that they should try to cut bait from him this offseason…. If he agrees to change his remaining guaranteed money to a signing bonus … you can release him and push out a lot more money to 2025 …you still gotta pay the piper then  though… 

As you said … the alternative is to keep him on the team  and hope he improves …but hen you still dealing with the consequences come 2026 if he doesn’t and you still cut him at the end of 2024 …

Where did Spotrac say cutting him this offseason would be better than 2025? That doesn't make sense.

His contract was written up as essentially a 3 year deal. Our out is after this season. I don't see any way we can get out from under him that would be remotely better for us to do this season. It's basically an impossibility where we're at cap wise.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Where did Spotrac say cutting him this offseason would be better than 2025? That doesn't make sense.

His contract was written up as essentially a 3 year deal. Our out is after this season. I don't see any way we can get out from under him that would be remotely better for us to do this season. It's basically an impossibility where we're at cap wise.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/

There is no way where getting out this year is better that getting out after next year in dead cap terms. But there is  way where getting out this year is better than wasting more money with a post 1 June cut.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:38 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

Boyd would be a solid veteran addition IF the $ is reasonable.  I'd rather go after Hollywood Brown for his speed 

Boyd is a slot imo.  I don’t think he’s a fit unless he’s making under 2M, even then, I don’t he makes sense 

I want to throw this out there... In the limited time I have looked into this WR class so far I can tell y'all there is one player NO ONE is talking about for the Bills, but he is picture perfect made for what we need... Especially if you're considering the Smoke Brown/Emmanuel Sanders role. And assuming that Justin Shorter will move into the Gabe Davis pre-2022 role...

The player I'm talking about will likely not be a 1st round pick... And yes, there are valid reasons for it...

That player is Jermaine Burton... And IMHO he would be an absolute monster in this Bills offense. 

I doubt very much McD will even consider him with the maturity issues... But purely as a player who fits what the Bills need most Burton is massively intriguing to me. I wonder if there are any Alabama fans here who want to chime in? He was made available to the press at times and his interviews seems fine. But he's a walking, talking taunting penalty waiting to happen... That much is pretty obvious. And that has nothing to do with the incident after the 2022 Tennessee game. Which was REALLY bad.. He also took the time after Alabama's win over Georgia in the SEC Championship to troll the GA fans in the stands... He seems pretty immature... Of course, that was the exact problem with George Pickens... So... I don't know... B-)

48 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I want to throw this out there... In the limited time I have looked into this WR class so far I can tell y'all there is one player NO ONE is talking about for the Bills, but he is picture perfect made for what we need... Especially if you're considering the Smoke Brown/Emmanuel Sanders role. And assuming that Justin Shorter will move into the Gabe Davis pre-2022 role...

The player I'm talking about will likely not be a 1st round pick... And yes, there are valid reasons for it...

That player is Jermaine Burton... And IMHO he would be an absolute monster in this Bills offense. 

I doubt very much McD will even consider him with the maturity issues... But purely as a player who fits what the Bills need most Burton is massively intriguing to me. I wonder if there are any Alabama fans here who want to chime in? He was made available to the press at times and his interviews seems fine. But he's a walking, talking taunting penalty waiting to happen... That much is pretty obvious. And that has nothing to do with the incident after the 2022 Tennessee game. Which was REALLY bad.. He also took the time after Alabama's win over Georgia in the SEC Championship to troll the GA fans in the stands... He seems pretty immature... Of course, that was the exact problem with George Pickens... So... I don't know... B-)

I think for the most part Bills fans are focused primarily on getting an X receiver early to replace/upgrade on Davis.

While Burton can do that.........he has good speed and tracks the ball well and has good arm length........ his height and lack of an extra gear at that size would be my concerns as the primary deep threat.    How many times do we see JA17 hurl a flat deep ball and the receiver just doesn't have the length or extra burst to get to it?       

His raging personality is also concern, as you noted.   For those thinking about S/LB James Williams from Miami........similar issue.   Williams rarely went a game where he didn't do about 5 things that could have drawn a conduct penalty.   The egregious facemask penalty in the Senior Bowl was just James being James.  

Chris Trapasso mocking Devontez Walker to the Bills at Pick 28…

Says   he “was having a good Senior Bowl”…

Is this guy for real ? Dude makes his  living out of the NFL draft  …Does mock drafts all year around …

I remember him in his final mock draft in 2018 he had the Bills taking Mason Rudolph in the first… ( ended up going mid third) …what a pick that would have been…

Edited by Aussie Joe

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Chris Trapasso mocking Devontez Walker to the Bills at Pick 28…

Says   he “was having a good Senior Bowl”…

Is this guy for real ? Dude makes his  living out of the NFL draft  …Does mock drafts all year around …

I remember him in his final mock draft in 2018 he had the Bills taking Mason Rudolph in the first… what a pick that would have been…

We talk about draft guys that are the best in the business. Chris Trapasso is one of the worst... His history is littered with bizarre and awful draft takes. One that sticks out in my mind is he had Marquez Stevenson and Dazz Newsome rated many spots higher than Greg Rousseau on his final big board. It's one thing to stick your neck out with bold takes, but stuff like that is less than amateurish.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/30/2024 at 2:00 PM, 34-78-83 said:

I see that Legette played QB in HS as well. I like him even more than I did before. I think the one year of production risk is worth taking with this guy. He's the fastest guy on the field in his clips, and his size and physicality is something we need at the position.

Horrible limited route runner

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Xavier Worthy is available in the mid 2nd, trade up for him. He has insane speed

Seen him mocked to us in the first. Small but man can he fly and cuts like a knife.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Xavier Worthy is available in the mid 2nd, trade up for him. He has insane speed

If we go another position Round 1, sure. But Round 1 and Round 2 at WR isn't happening unless we were to somehow cover all other starting positions and important rotational depth that we have holes at in FA with and did nothing with WR.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If we go another position Round 1, sure. But Round 1 and Round 2 at WR isn't happening unless we were to somehow cover all other starting positions and important rotational depth that we have holes at in FA with and did nothing with WR.

you’re right….because WR in Round 1, 2 AND 3 is happening baby!!! & you’re gonna just have to like it🤣

DO IT BEANE!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Your reasoning needs more reasoning

We’re about to lose our number two receiver

Stefon Diggs is not getting any younger and had to drop off in play last year

Chances that that number one pic goes to a wide receiver. This year is very good.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Your reasoning needs more reasoning

We’re about to lose our number two receiver

Stefon Diggs is not getting any younger and had to drop off in play last year

Chances that that number one pic goes to a wide receiver. This year is very good.

I have no problem with Round 1 at WR. I think it's probably a no brainer, given their cost.

But Round 1 AND Round 2? That can't happen unless we've covered starters at DE, DT (including a solid 3rd for rotation), and Safety (possibly both Safeties) prior to the Draft.

Given our cap situation, that's very unlikely. We're going to need to find a Starter in both Rounds 1 and 2. One of those can be a WR. But not both. We can Draft another WR on Day 3 to go with our 1st Rounder. But we can't afford to go Rounds 1 and 2 back to back.

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I have no problem with Round 1 at WR. I think it's probably a no brainer, given their cost.

But Round 1 and Round 2? That can't happen unless we've covered starters at DE, DT (including a solid 3rd for rotation), and Safety (possibly both Safeties) prior to the Draft.

Given our cap situation, that's very unlikely. We're going to need to find a Starter in both Rounds 1 and 2. One of those can be a WR. But not both. We can Draft another WR on Day 2 to go with our 1st Rounder. But we can't afford to go Rounds 1 and 2 back to back.

Yeah, I hope that doesn’t happen We already did the two rounds of the same position thing and it didn’t work out so great.

But if you told me that they took a wide receiver in the first and the third, I’d be OK with that