2024 WR Draft Class

The good news is that this WR class is stacked and there will be a very good prospect when we are on the board 

My worry is that we pass on WR round 1 because Beane thinks the depth is great and we take him in round 2.

We need an impact guy even if it’s a slight reach based on BPA when we are on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Everybody knows that means nothing. If it was Beane's goal to go out and get a #1 receiver he'd make it happen.  I don't think it's happening but if it was he'd find a way.  

It absolutely does mean something, maybe he could find a way to do it, but it would limit everything else he could do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DJB said:

The good news is that this WR class is stacked and there will be a very good prospect when we are on the board 

My worry is that we pass on WR round 1 because Beane thinks the depth is great and we take him in round 2.

We need an impact guy even if it’s a slight reach based on BPA when we are on the clock. 

Remember, it’s not about where a player is taken, but rather who it is. Detroit’s impact receiver Amon-Ra St Brown went in the 4th. The 49ers Deebo Samuel? He went in that second round you worry about. There’s so much luck involved with these picks, a guy could pass every single test, athleticism, size, productive college career, and then can get to the pros and be a dud. By all accounts, it looks like Marvin Harrison Jr will be a beast at the next level, but for every Calvin Johnson, a Charles Rogers lurks 😅

I won’t get too hung up on where Beane takes a receiver within those first 5 rounds as long as he takes two of them. Preferably higher since the chances of hitting are greater, but I won’t worry one way or another. Let’s see what happens when they step on the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I don't think he is going to run in the 4.2s but he is legitimately fast. He is more a build up speed guy so I don't think the 40 necessarily will showcase how fast he is. But he is going to run plenty fast enough to be legit size / speed prospect. 

I'm super high on him. 

You can see his speed on the field pretty clearly. He's legit fast. Pulls away from db's at nearly every opportunity to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Everybody knows that means nothing. If it was Beane's goal to go out and get a #1 receiver he'd make it happen.  I don't think it's happening but if it was he'd find a way.  

Paying a FA #1 WR will cost in the $20M+/year range.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

What or who is MHJ ???

Marvin Harrison Junior.

5 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

My top three for where we are picking would be

Ladd McConkey

Keon Coleman

Xavier Legette

Not sold on Coleman, but the other two are among my favorites. Don't sleep on McConkey. He's not just a slot receiver.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

The question is: do you draft potential future #1 to replace diggs (do it all prospect) or do you draft a deep threat? The deep threat would seem like a "need" with davis likely departing in free agency, but with the way teams play vs Allen, the deep shot is rarely there, if ever. I'm stuck on prospects myself,  will be doing more digging in future weeks!

The more I watch of Thomas Jr. I feel he’d be the guaranteed #2 or #3 in the class pre-combine if Nabers wasn’t on the same team…

These other 3 are very intriguing also:

Franklin (Oregon)

Mitchell (Texas)

Leggette (SC)

With Shakir I think you have to pass on Georgia’s McConkey. Very similar to 2Pac. Can play anywhere but best suited to a slot/inside role due to size and initial burst. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan4588 said:

The question is: do you draft potential future #1 to replace diggs (do it all prospect) or do you draft a deep threat? The deep threat would seem like a "need" with davis likely departing in free agency, but with the way teams play vs Allen, the deep shot is rarely there, if ever. I'm stuck on prospects myself,  will be doing more digging in future weeks!

You draft looking for a future #1, not just someone who can stretch the field. Someone who can generate RAC is what I’m looking for. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I actually read 4.22.  But I was mostly talking about his 22.3 MPH last season.

You read that he ran a 4.22 or that the combine record is 4.22?  Link?

I’ve scored the interwebs and haven’t seen anyone saying he’s run a 4.22 before.  4.29 and his MPH is the only thing I’ve seen

59 minutes ago, BBFL said:

The more I watch of Thomas Jr. I feel he’d be the guaranteed #2 or #3 in the class pre-combine if Nabers wasn’t on the same team…

These other 3 are very intriguing also:

Franklin (Oregon)

Mitchell (Texas)

Leggette (SC)

With Shakir I think you have to pass on Georgia’s McConkey. Very similar to 2Pac. Can play anywhere but best suited to a slot/inside role due to size and initial burst. 

Except he doesn’t really run anything other than deep patterns.  Like nothing at all. Maybe he can learn….but I find it strange that they didn’t have him do it at all in college.

i do LOVE his deep ball skills set 

I agree with the rest of the post- but I’d be happy with Mcconkey in rd 2.  

what are your thoughts on Tez Walker?  And how would you compare him to Thomas Jr

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve scored the interwebs and haven’t seen anyone saying he’s run a 4.22 before.  4.29 and his MPH is the only thing I’ve seen

Except he doesn’t really run anything other than deep patterns.  Like nothing at all. Maybe he can learn….but I find it strange that they didn’t have him do it at all in college.

i do LOVE his deep ball skills set 

I get that. Which is exactly why I’m liking it. We struggled with the deep passes being consistent in our offense this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah it was Combine record.  Again I'll take even 4.3s.

• Agree 1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:32 PM, Aussie Joe said:

I love him too… likely to go in the Top 12 … we will be looking up waving him goodbye ,,,

Probably … Beane is already looking at their pick at the end of the third to move up 3 or 4 spots …there will be 3 or 4 WR left but there will be one he loves …

If he gets it right then all good… but this is one year they could use that third round pick to find another contributor..

We better take a wr round 1 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

..... because if you have a fast 40 time you will be a great WR?  So many great receivers that have nothing to do with being picked in the first round or running a 4.2 40.  Everyone trying to Moneyball their way to a SB.  Ironically the GM in Moneyball is named Beane. 

McConkey just not an X or boundary wr in the NFL. Only for that reason am I not high on drafting him. Give me Legette, Franklin, Thomas, Worthy where we are picking and I’d be thrilled.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

McConkey just not an X or boundary wr in the NFL. Only for that reason am I not high on drafting him. Give me Legette, Franklin, Thomas, Worthy where we are picking and I’d be thrilled.

Xavier Legette

WR South Carolina

Malachi Corley

WR Western Kentucky

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan4588 said:

You might get both in Troy Franklin. 

• Haha (+1) 1