Bills Last Great Defensive Lineman

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Daquan Jones

He's overlooked because of being primarily a run defender, but he is always doubled and frees up linebackers to make plays.  He's what Star Lotulelei was supposed to be.

Agreed, but also invisible last Sunday  😞

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Mario Williams was the closest they've had to that since the 90s.  

A truly dominant, disruptive pass rusher is the hardest thing to find with the exception of QB.  It's not impossible to find one outside the top 10 picks,  but the odds are definitely stacked against you.  Greg Rousseau definitely isn't at that level,  but the Bills are damn lucky he's as good as he is.  

I hope 5 sacks a year isn't "as good as he is"......

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hope 5 sacks a year isn't "as good as he is"......

I think he had a foot injury for awhile this year.  Regardless,  6-8 per year is about what I'd expect of a 'good' LDE and I think Rousseau will likely average in that range yearly until age and injuries become a long term factor.  

That 20-32 area tends to be fool's gold when it comes to DE.  Not always,  but too many of them never do anything.  I'm just glad Rousseau has been a productive starter.   

I would say Mario Williams was the last great one, at least in terms of pass rush prowess. Defensive line as a whole has been a true enigma for this team in recent years, and another reason that McD's failures should be magnified even more:

-Oliver: Lived up to the contract but completely invisible when it mattered most against the Chiefs

-Miller: Started off last year strong but his injury rendered 2023 a wasted season. Ironically was really the only guy that showed up against Chiefs though.

-Rouseau: Injuries have been an issue for him. Seems to be following Shaq Lawson trajectory as a great run defender but bust as a pass rusher which is what he was drafted for.

-AJE: Has emerged as a solid rotational piece, but injury also slowed him down in 2nd half of season and likely going to get bigger deal elswhere in FA

-Floyd: Was great in the first half of season but only had one sack in final 8 games including playoffs.

-Jones: Has shown pass rush prowess but also has had injury history and didn't deliver when needed in playoffs either.

Other than that expect more musical chairs with some of these other guys in the offseason, including Lawson and Phillips who it's probably time to move on from once and for all too.

Mario Williams remains one of the most confusing Bills enigma's to me ever. Just the most physically impressive and dominant man "when" he felt like playing. I mean he could just manhandle grown a$$ men around like nothing. Yes, Bruce was the best, but Mario was just a completely physically imposing man, when he wasn't checked out.

If we think Von's invisibility stints were bad, just remember watching Mario standing around play after play doing absolutely nothing. I don't think I've ever seen it before or since, completely checked out, standing around. I still have nightmares of watching him drop back into coverage too ??? WTF was happening.... like the twilight zone. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I know you are joking, but his tipped pass INT of Romo on MNF is still one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen a DL make 

Your post made me look up replay. Agree.

Also realized we had John its not delivery, it's DiGiorgio on the team 😀

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Mario Williams is probably the most talented guy from the last 20 years with Kyle following up.

Mario/Kyle Williams is spot on. Maybe Schobel?

Could add Jerry but I don’t think you can classify him as “great”. 

Edited by BBFL

4 hours ago, Maybe Someday said:

Chris Kelsay  :) 

Always loved the move when he would sprint 10 yards down the field, then, with the grace and agility of a row boat, would turn around to start rushing the QB.

1 hour ago, babulator said:

Mario Williams remains one of the most confusing Bills enigma's to me ever. Just the most physically impressive and dominant man "when" he felt like playing. I mean he could just manhandle grown a$$ men around like nothing. Yes, Bruce was the best, but Mario was just a completely physically imposing man, when he wasn't checked out.

If we think Von's invisibility stints were bad, just remember watching Mario standing around play after play doing absolutely nothing. I don't think I've ever seen it before or since, completely checked out, standing around. I still have nightmares of watching him drop back into coverage too ??? WTF was happening.... like the twilight zone. 

My memories of Mario Williams are tainted by the last 2 years here where he fell off a cliff in quality and became mostly irrelevant. The first 2 seasons he could be incredible in games and dominate.  Dareus was a bust, Schoebel and Kyle Williams were pretty solid. Nothing compares to Bruce though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.