Michael Lombardi on Pat Mcafee

major

People need to realize the Pegulas own the Sabres and with the dumpster fire that organization is run he doesn’t want to throw a monkey wrench at the Bills who despite coming up short still won 10 games + for the 5th year and 4th division title. He’s just not gonna rattle things even if it means wasting arguably the best player in the teams history’s prime years. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, major said:

He said teams today talk about winning but they don’t want to give someone the authority to build the culture that’s necessary to win. He said they like their own culture and don’t want to change. Is that us? Do we just like what we have? Change is hard and takes work. Lombardi said majority of teams are just content to stay how they are and not put into the work to win.

What?  Don't you remember the drought years.  McDermott and Beane dramatically changed the Bills culture from perennial losers to a winning culture.  The fact that we have not yet won a Super bowl yet does not change the fact that the Bills are one of the most successful teams in the NFL since 2017.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Listen, 95% of the league wants to be the Bills and emulate the Bills. Beane has had 3 people from his staff become GMs and a 4th interviewing. 

People need to start enjoying this ride. 

And teams used to want to be the Panthers.. which is how we got here.  Neither team wins a SB, so it’s time to exit the ride.

7 hours ago, major said:

He said teams today talk about winning but they don’t want to give someone the authority to build the culture that’s necessary to win. He said they like their own culture and don’t want to change. Is that us? Do we just like what we have? Change is hard and takes work. Lombardi said majority of teams are just content to stay how they are and not put into the work to win.

That's us. Content with going 6-6 then winning 6 in a row to reach the divisional round. Yup. Aim low.

McBeane and Pegula want to win. There is no conspiracy behind this.

But... 

McDermott has his philosophy on how to run a team and while I'm sure he works tirelessly but many of us don't believe he's got what it takes to consistently beat good teams in the playoffs.

Pegula wants to win but I'm sure he's buying the narrative that were "so close and making progress" narrative. It's human nature to want to believe you're close to a goal rather than you need a substantive change. 

I for one hope McBeane brings us a championship in the next few years. But I'm not banking on it.

I'd say they're both here three to four more years before Pegula fires Sean or both of them — if we don't at least make the Superbowl (I think making it and losing that final game will be enough to keep them longer). Firing Sean or both ain't happening next year but maybe two or three after if there's so Superbowl appearance. If that's the case, Josh will be 30 or 31 and still have a few elite years left but his 20s will be behind him.

Edited by Nephilim17

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

And teams used to want to be the Panthers.. which is how we got here.  Neither team wins a SB, so it’s time to exit the ride.

You can’t think like that. Because you have no idea what the Bills need to do to win a Super Bowl. People act like the answer is firing the coach. News flash, that doesn’t work. Once you start firing the coach you might as well start scouting QBs because next Allen is gone.

• Disagree 1

If the culture is as strong as some of you say, it should be able to survive the firing of a weak HC to reach the end goal. It’s time to try a results-based approach since the faith-based approach hasn’t worked out so well. A win at all costs approach, preferably one that can field an average defense in a playoff game and not embarrass ourselves in humiliating fashion each year.

We already know where the ceiling is for this bunch. Do we really need to see it again? 

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Now that the Morris news is out, I think it’s obvious Lombardi is talking about Atlanta. 

Yep. The reason it fell apart with Belichick is he wanted control. Blank didn't want to give it up. 

It was obvious to me right away he was on about Atlanta. Lombardi is a Belichick disciple going back to the Browns days. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm just waiting for our culture to translate to a good playoff defense.  That's the only boat I want to rock.

They have a good playoff defense.   they were all on crutches on Sunday , though.   Is what it is.   timing is everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, major said:

How soon we forget the Rex Ryan years...

18 hours ago, major said:

Perhaps the dumbest correlation I've ever seen on this board and that says a lot.

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People need to realize the Pegulas own the Sabres and with the dumpster fire that organization is run he doesn’t want to throw a monkey wrench at the Bills who despite coming up short still won 10 games + for the 5th year and 4th division title. He’s just not gonna rattle things even if it means wasting arguably the best player in the teams history’s prime years. 

yes, because when we discuss sound practice in football management we live up to the standard of Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys?

I think the problem with what Lombardi is saying is that these highly competitive multi-billionaire owners don't care to win and be number 1. There are only 32 of them, they weren't content being part of the thousands. I also wonder about the old vs new school thought process. Times have changed, and you have to at least question when looking around at Sports, whether a coach needs to have total control over everything to win a championship.

21 hours ago, major said:

In regards to the Bills, I'm at the point where I believe they are simply happy with status quo in terms of being a playoff team/winning division titles every year.

I've said all along that at some point the main and only goal needs to be winning championships, and when you fall short of that you make difficult decisions to move forward like coaching, GM, key roster moves, etc to break the wheel that keeps in neutral.

But deep down you really get the sense that the Bills organization is going to 'run it back' yet again as much as they can minus some of the key aging veterans that they finally realize that have no choice but to move on from either though the fragile lockerroom culture might not like it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

I agree. I think the Pegula's are content with the mediocrity and not taking the next step to change our culture because firing McDermott has the potential to backfire and get you a worse coach and worse team culture. The Chargers fired Schottenheimer because he couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs and the Chargers regressed for the most part with Norv Turner. Because the Pegula's are already making money hand over fist with the currently company culture, which is winning to an extent, and because breaking McDermotts contract to go out and hire a more proven winner would eat into profits, I think the Pegula's are content to let McDermott continue pushing his failed team culture that cannot get the super bowl Bills fans deserve.

The Pegula's are not all in for winning. We have seen the Chargers go all in by firing a failed coach to bring in a new culture with Harbaugh that has a better track record than McDermott. We have seen the Patriots do it in the past when they fired Pete Carroll who kept losing in playoff games and bright in Belichick. We saw the Bucs do it with Dungy (who failed repeatedly in the playoffs) when they brought in Gruden who won a super bowl his first season. 

The Pegula's are becoming fat and lazy and don't want to really push a winning culture.

Mediocrity is what we had, before, the Pegulas bought the team.

Sure they whiffed on the Rex Ryan show, but McDermott and Beane are as committed to bringing a Championship to Buffalo as anyone since Levy and Pollian. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Michael Lombardi? As in this Michael Lombardi?

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/super-bowl-lii/jason-kelce-eagles-parade-speech-philadelphia-super-bowl-mike-lombardi-doug-pederson-20180208.html

"This past offseason, some clown named Mike Lombardi told him that he was the least-qualified head coach in the NFL," Kelce exclaimed, pointing at Pederson. "You saw a driven Doug Pederson, a man who went for it on fourth down … in the Super Bowl ,,, with a trick play. He wasn't playing just to go mediocre. He's playing for a Super Bowl."

Puhleeze. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. I wouldn't be able to throw him very far.

the NFL is a hobby for billionaires, winning is mostly bragging rights.  we give it way more sentimental value than they do because financially winning doesn't impact an owners payout, it's not the late 90's and early 2000's where there are destitute teams who need winning (Patriots) to keep a team in boston instead of hartford.  buffalo has a new stadium coming and they could lose every game of the season and sell the place out... if they don't who cares? we already know how it ends, they move the team and most of the loss is on Erie County and New York State........ there is literally nothing to lose.

it's just a rich person club and we have no idea what actually goes on in the club meetings.

10 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

They have a good playoff defense.   they were all on crutches on Sunday , though.   Is what it is.   timing is everything.

They weren't all on crutches though. Our first round picks (Oliver, Rousseau) on the defensive line as well as key free agent signing (Miller) all played. Zero sacks on Mahomes. Injuries cannot be blamed there. Hyde, and Poyer key guys. No ints and frequently let Kelce run wide open. Every playoff team is dealing with injuries. What we saw was consistent crap play from a McDermott defense against the Chiefs in the playoffs. In three playoff games against Mahomes, our defense has failed to sack him and failed to intercept him. It's coaching that's the problem. We let guys run wide open just like we did during the 13 second game when we were healthy. McDermott is the constant weak link.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t think like that. Because you have no idea what the Bills need to do to win a Super Bowl. People act like the answer is firing the coach. News flash, that doesn’t work. Once you start firing the coach you might as well start scouting QBs because next Allen is gone.

Yeah, that’s the way it works, teams dump top 3 QBs in their prime because they fire a loser coach.  Sure. 

11 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

yes, because when we discuss sound practice in football management we live up to the standard of Jerry Jones. How 'bout them Cowboys?

Yes pretty much his one franchise is run into the crapper the other franchise has been a model of consistency and one of the best franchises in the sport so he’s not going to listen to forces that believe his coach is essentially the Dog Collins bulls 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.