Nyheim Hines will not be a cap casualty for FA (Edit: Wrong)

35 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He's not wrong though... not everyone is on an NFL roster, much less playing or starting. So many keyboard warriors out there...

And usually the people that say that are one. Lol

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Couple of “strays” over here ….

may nyheim be the rare professional athlete that has never complained about a coach, a ref, his wait staff, a taxi driver, a cashier, a cop, a cook, a housekeeper, a musician, his agent, a lawyer, a landscaper or contractor, or any other person in their professional role outside of fellow running backs 

and let’s be real, surely he’s complained about a sales person at least once. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would encourage everyone to read Joe B's breakdown of Bills road to get under the cap which includes options for Hines. It's excellent. I actually felt more optimistic after reading it. We might not have to do a complete teardown this year despite being objectively screwed.

https://theathletic.com/5238669/2024/02/02/buffalo-bills-offseason-salary-cap/

Edited by VW82
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/25/2024 at 6:46 AM, T master said:

If Hines does come back then get rid of Harty, he for sure can't be any worse than Harty was at running back kicks . But with that i would rather see Ty Johnson come back the guy was a improvement for the running game this year but kick returns could be much better !! 

I think that’s the plan I don’t see Harty in our future

13 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

What possible grievance would there be to file? The dude was in a jet ski accident. It's the definition of a non football injury.

The NFLPA will file a grievance even in a losing battle. And his scenario, yes, he was on the Ski. But he was stationary filling up the tank. So there was some question as to whether the injury occurring while not riding and being a victim of someone hitting him really constituted as a breach of the contract.

On 1/24/2024 at 5:31 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Among most, if not all, posts talking about freeing up cap space - Nyheim Hines being released is mentioned. 

And in a vacuum, it seems like a no brainer type of move. But it appears it's not going to happen.

I've touched on this in other posts a bit before but there's factors at play here. When the injury occured, his agent started speaking up about filing a grievance if he wasn't taken care of. Then it all went away.

Beane and he came to an agreement. Hines would keep a portion of his money and not be released and in turn, most of his money for last season would come off the books - freeing up some cap space for last year and Hines and his people wouldn't file a grievance.

I've been almost positive part of that agreement was he wouldn't be cut and given every opportunity to reclaim his job. Hines has said that he's going to be a Bill this year:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-nyheim-hines-injury-rehab-jet-ski-accident

Yesterday at Beane's Year End Presser - he confirmed it. Nyheim Hines will not be an offseason cap casualty:

(56:49 - 57:22)

I'm not a capologist, so I don't know if there's any massaging that can be done to his contract to create some relief somewhere. But it's pretty clear that unless he is completely physically unable to perform, Nyheim Hines will be one of our RB's behind James Cook.

I'm much bigger on Hines than most, dude is a flat out playmaker and was missed 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

A chance to earn it. Which I think unless he's lost a step, he most likely will.

I get what youre saying but before the injury he was not a $5M back. after seeing Tre/Von, but a player at the most unforgiving position, i just cant see any way he survives camp. would take a major cap reduction, and a kiss from God himself on that ACL.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

actually I'd say decent chance he comes back here really cheap if no one offers him better $ 

I don't dispute that. But there's a thread for that. This thread is about a very particular theory that is now officially debunked.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.