Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

Time to bite the bullet and retool completely IMO, I’d look to trade/cut Knox, Miller, Diggs, White, Po, and eat the cap hit, take whatever you get and re-invest in the draft, most of these guys are playing at replacement level anyway, those that aren’t have trade value, take it and get a fresh start Ala KC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, DCofNC said:

Time to bite the bullet and retool completely IMO, I’d look to trade/cut Knox, Miller, Diggs, White, Po, and eat the cap hit, take whatever you get and re-invest in the draft, most of these guys are playing at replacement level anyway, those that aren’t have trade value, take it and get a fresh start Ala KC.

I wouldn't completely gut the thing,  but yes,  I largely agree with that approach.  Unload as much of the dead weight and players in sharp decline as you can and start clearing cap space for FA acquisitions in 2025/2026 (not much they can do for 2024).  That may mean a step back in 2024,  but puts them in a better position afterward. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

need new safeties.  these two are slow and old

Very negative comments on Poyer/Hyde, two great players.  

Sure, their time is coming to an end but you can’t just dismiss them as old and slow.   It will not to be easy for younger and faster players to replace everything they bring.  

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Didn’t take long-  the defense revolves around the safeties……

no- it doesn’t. It revolves around great DL play.  

I get what you’re saying- It’ll be tough to find a bigger backer of the Poyer and Hyde tandem than me. I know and appreciate how important they are.  I also know that it didn’t take top 100 picks or massive contracts to acquire and groom them.  Poyer was a jag that McD turned into a star.  Hyde was a decent investment but was no all pro until McD got him.  Spending resources properly is more important than ever and having DL on rookie deals.  

When we miss on the DL signings and picks- our defense suffers.  When we don’t have a pass rush- our defense is nothing vs good offenses (aka playoff teams).  

agree to disagree 

At no point did I say, “s is more important than pass rush.” That’s not what those words mean. What you quoted does not say that. The Bills defense DOES revolve around the safeties. You can’t survive there with bodies. You need high end players. Their ability to disguise and confuse QBs allows the DL the time to win. That’s how this defense has been built.

Obviously you need pass rush. You’ll have Oliver, Rousseau, Von, etc… Pass rush is the most important part of ANY defense. There are guys all over that can contribute on the DL. We signed Floyd and Poona late. They added Joseph in season. There are guys everywhere. You should invest a couple of picks in DL & obviously resign Jones. 

Are Ryan O'halloran and Sean McDermott one in the same ?

I read one of those Free Agent sites that guesstimate Gabe Davis getting a 4yr 52M contract, it won't come from Buffalo. Any other free agent WR'S worth their weight in spam will see similar sticker price. Diggs appeared to regress the second half of the season, whether that was injury or Brady's play calling I have no idea. Davis needs to be replaced for cheap and Diggs will be gone in 2-3 years so a guy that has speed, can track the long ball and catch it is very much a need on this team.

Safety - It looks like Hyde will probably retire and it wouldn't shock me to see Poyer go as well. If they don't re-sign Rapp they may need two new Safeties unless you want to rely on Hamlin or Cam Lewis to start. I'd go Safety in round#2.

DT - Is Oliver the only DT under contract ? ... Phillips, Ford, Joseph and Settle almost certainly gone and Daquan Jones may be too expensive to re-sign. I'd address this need in round #3.

39 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Very negative comments on Poyer/Hyde, two great players.  

Sure, their time is coming to an end but you can’t just dismiss them as old and slow.   It will not to be easy for younger and faster players to replace everything they bring.  

they had a great run. pointing out they are past their expiration dates is not "very negative".  why wait until further decline before trying to upgrade at the position?

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Are Ryan O'halloran and Sean McDermott one in the same ?

I read one of those Free Agent sites that guesstimate Gabe Davis getting a 4yr 52M contract, it won't come from Buffalo. Any other free agent WR'S worth their weight in spam will see similar sticker price. Diggs appeared to regress the second half of the season, whether that was injury or Brady's play calling I have no idea. Davis needs to be replaced for cheap and Diggs will be gone in 2-3 years so a guy that has speed, can track the long ball and catch it is very much a need on this team.

Safety - It looks like Hyde will probably retire and it wouldn't shock me to see Poyer go as well. If they don't re-sign Rapp they may need two new Safeties unless you want to rely on Hamlin or Cam Lewis to start. I'd go Safety in round#2.

DT - Is Oliver the only DT under contract ? ... Phillips, Ford, Joseph and Settle almost certainly gone and Daquan Jones may be too expensive to re-sign. I'd address this need in round #3.

Hamlin is not the answer at safety. Tbh, the only reason he will make the team next year is because if the lack of talent we have on defense. He isn’t even a solid ST player. We need at least one new safety via FA and one via the draft. And to be fair, I trust McD and Beane can find the right guy to fit our defense. Let’s not forget Poyer wasn’t a big name or star until he came to Buffalo. 

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 1

There comes a point where strategically building McD's style of defense requires too much good fortune, too many resources, and delivers too little regardless of who coordinates it.  Particularly against good offenses that can throw the ball and more against offenses that can throw and run as we've seen the last 2 playoff losses. 

Just not a sustainable style of defense and why it's a broken record every off-season to hear about injuries.  Front 7 types are making contact dozens of times a game for an entire regular season and people expect them to remain healthy in the playoffs?  Case in point is both LB's need to be agile in this scheme to cover, but at the POA they're not the sturdy types in run support.  Milano missed 13 games in his last 5 seasons entering this year.  Great player, but shouldn't be a suprised he gets hurt.   

To mitigate injuries at the DL, they've consistently dressed/paid decent money to 8-9 DL every year.  Lot of cost, but as we see in the playoffs, not a lot of production.  Few rookies start in that rotation, necessitating lot of UFA dollars.  Still perennially doing that because HC wants it.  

If after 5 seasons of re-tooling and improving that defense it can't be counted on, it's time to change strategy.  Still not holding my breath McD will have an epiphany and shift his priority to offense and Josh against his defense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

At no point did I say, “s is more important than pass rush.” That’s not what those words mean. What you quoted does not say that. The Bills defense DOES revolve around the safeties. You can’t survive there with bodies. You need high end players. Their ability to disguise and confuse QBs allows the DL the time to win. That’s how this defense has been built.

Obviously you need pass rush. You’ll have Oliver, Rousseau, Von, etc… Pass rush is the most important part of ANY defense. There are guys all over that can contribute on the DL. We signed Floyd and Poona late. They added Joseph in season. There are guys everywhere. You should invest a couple of picks in DL & obviously resign Jones. 

You don’t see how someone could think that saying the defense “revolves around” safeties = safeties are the most important …..  what does revolves around mean if not meaning it’s the focal point of the defense.  Focal point = most important?  No?  🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we just disagree in thinking that we need to have elite players at safety and should invest higher picks into the position.  We need smart and versatile players that understand the defense and know how to communicate.  I do agree that good safety play is important in McDs defense.  More so than in other defenses.  

i just really believe in McDs ability to coach up DBs.  He turned a 4 rd pick into an all pro in Taron. A 2M a year safety into all pro in Poyer.  A upper middle priced safety into an all pro (Hyde).  A 6th round pick into a solid CB2 (Benford). An undrafted CB and a 7th rd CB into solid depth corners (Levi and Benford).  A first rd pick into an all pro (white).  And Douglas has excelled and is getting even better under his tutelage.  I think his only failure to date has been Elam. 

looking at past offseasons, many teams have been able to add starter quality safeties at bargain prices.  Free agent safeties should see Buffalo as an ideal landing spot based on McDs coaching 

Considering our cap situation for the next 5 years isn’t ideal, landing players at premium positions in the draft would be my ideal way to build the team going forward.  If we were to draft a safety in rd 3, I would understand the pick (depending on the player), I just don’t know if it would be the best use of resources due to McDs ability to coach players up and the price tags on premium positions 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But the Bills can afford Higgens if they make the right choices.

Right or wrong …I dont  think the Bills will make those choices .. they will make other choices 

Also… isn’t he getting franchised anyway ? Is that the word on the street?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Right or wrong …I dont  think the Bills will make those choices .. they will make other choices 

Also… isn’t he getting franchised anyway ? Is that the word on the street?

It is sort of down here.  The Bengal's are very tight lipped about almost everything so ho knows.  The speculation is that they're inclined to use the franchise tag on Higgens but given how expensive it would be they would really like to do a deal.  The problem with franchising Higgens is it might interfere in doing a deal with Chase this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Ryan O'Halloran: Free-agent, cap situation means Brandon Beane has to get defensive in draft

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/ryan-ohalloran-free-agent-cap-situation-means-brandon-beane-has-to-get-defensive-in-draft/article_2992c608-ba1b-11ee-8957-5731c06753d8.html

That doesn't seem to jibe with the general sentiment on this board.  Please read the article first, then discuss.

I'd take Xavier legette at pick 28 if I was GM....sure many think that is a reach but 6'3 220 LB wr who ran a 4.29 40 (tyreek hill speed) can high point the ball,catch in traffic and will out run any cb in the league....he is DK Metcalf clone imo

https://youtu.be/jNIQcqe4MRE?si=PJiGPNzvfa_dfSHO

Edited by Billever76

I agree with the author. We’ve already invested in the offense with Kincaid and Cook. Shakir is fine. Yes, we need a #2 but that can be done via FA. 

Meanwhile, Tre/Hyde/Poyer aren’t coming back. Who knows what Milano will look like when he eventually comes back. We have FA dilemmas on the defensive line. 

I’m always going to default to BPA, and so if that’s clearly a WR in Rd1 then so be it, but most of our needs are on the other side of the ball. This should probably be a rebuilding season anyway.

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I agree with the author. We’ve already invested in the offense with Kincaid and Cook. Shakir is fine. Yes, we need a #2 but that can be done via FA. 

Meanwhile, Tre/Hyde/Poyer aren’t coming back. Who knows what Milano will look like when he eventually comes back. We have FA dilemmas on the defensive line. 

I’m always going to default to BPA, and so if that’s clearly a WR in Rd1 then so be it, but most of our needs are on the other side of the ball. This should probably be a rebuilding season anyway.

Most of our needs have always been on the other side of the ball according to some...and we have went defense heavy in the draft and FA ever since McDermott and bean have been here....when do we start to doubt the process and finally go all in on the offense....with an offensive minded hc we would have went all in on offense instead of signing von and could have grabbed an aj brown devante Adam's caliber wr opposite Diggs...idk about you but I'd say focusing on the wrong side of the ball by this regime has cost us more than many like to admit...in all probability it's cost us that elusive lombardi

21 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

We’re somewhat fossilized in the back 7 and we  have smallish LB’s.  We always seem to have injuries issues on defense. My guess age and size factors.  

We have a ton of picks go one WR and then bolster the D.

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

We’re somewhat fossilized in the back 7 and we  have smallish LB’s.  We always seem to have injuries issues on defense. My guess age and size factors.  

We have a ton of picks go one WR and then bolster the D.

We have very good LBs and Corners-  Poyer may be cut- but he hasn’t been yet.  Right now the only hole in the back 7 is at FS.

WR and DL

No its already been proven the defense cant stay 100% intact through the season and fails in crunch time    Just give Josh elite outside receiver to take top off and give him a real 50/50 ball target and watch the offense take the step to being unstoppable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.