Was the old playoff format better?

Nklaiste1

When we played KC we were banged up and they had a 2 day rest advantage. If we had played under the old format (6 teams), we would've gotten a BYE and had a big rest advantage. 

So my question is which format do you think is better? The 6 team or 7 team? 

I personally like the 6 team format better because I feel 2 teams from each conference should get a bye.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 12

I liked it better and I also liked the NFL regular season at 16 games.  The seasons are just getting to be excruciatingly long and so many players are either completely out with injuries at this point or playing banged up and not close to 100%.  I am not using this as an excuse for why the Bills lost but just a general statement on the NFL

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 15

I agree. The old 6 format or go to 8 (no byes or byes for top 4 (div winners all get byes). Do not like the 1 team getting a bye. Its a long season the difference between the 1 seed in many cases is just luck in what teams you played, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

When we played KC we were banged up and they had a 2 day rest advantage. If we had played under the old format (6 teams), we would've gotten a BYE and had a big rest advantage. 

I personally like the 6 team format better because I feel 2 teams from each conference should get a bye.

Super Wildcard weekend was Super Crappy.

It will never revert to the old state but I agree. It was much better.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked the 6 team per conference system when there were only three divisions.  Things got out of wack after the expansion to four divisions per conference.  The third best non-division winning team was often better than the worst division winner but left out.  

Nfl all about money now. They want those week 18 games now that were added to mean something.  Getting 110 million from peacock for extra playoff game ain't going away.  I love the Bills and will always support them, but I think going to cancel Nfl network after skipping on Sunday ticket this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.

16 games is better than 17 or 18.

6 playoff teams in each conference is better than 7.

The "Super Wild Card Weekend" games are often one-sided blowouts, as you'd expect when the second and third best teams in the conference take on 9-8 squads that barely made it.

The extra week per regular season (and eventually two of them) and the extra playoff team and playoff game are about one thing and one thing only: More inventory, which equals more money. These things were not added with the quality of the game or the experience of the fan in mind. They were added SOLELY to make the league more money, even if it means watering down the product itself.

Mark Cuban was not wrong. The NFL is Icarus, and one day its wings will burn.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I like the current format and NFL isn't going back. It wouldn't have been a 2 day rest advantage if there wasn't blizzard and cancellation on Sunday

It would have been a one day rest advantage to the #3 seed over the #2 seed.  This makes no sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

I agree.  The top 2 teams should get a bye.  Its too much of an advantage to give to one team only in each conference, it's truly an unfair advantage currently 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I agree.  The top 2 teams should get a bye.  Its too much of an advantage to give to one team only in each conference, it's truly an unfair advantage currently 

If you survive a 17 game schedule with the best record in the conference don't you deserve an unfair advantage? 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Nklaiste1 said:

There are so many problems with the current format, who knows where to begin. 

-8 teams get in and it’s based on record only, not division winners There’s always a team or two on the outside that has the same or even a better record than a playoff team. No team should get in at 9-8 if there’s a 10-7 team. 

-No bye’s. This just creates an injury and rest advantage and it’s not fair. 

-seeding and home field based on record, not winning a division. 11-6 team has to go on the road to play a 9-8 team? Lame. 

1 hour ago, Nklaiste1 said:

It's all about the money for the NFL in having an additional game for each conference. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.