Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

6 hours ago, Sandhill Mike said:

It looks to me like the NFL told the refs to sit on the offensive holding penalties this postseason.  I've seen LOTS of holding in all games I've watched, hardly any flags to speak of.

Yeah, Allen wasn’t pressured much either. Not even close to being sacked, really. 

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I had no idea till I saw this angle that the corner literally falls down behind him and if he simply catches the ball he could have moonwalked into the endzone my goodness 

ya i seen that.  heartbreaking

30 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

ya i seen that.  heartbreaking

WRs that don’t catch that with their hands have lost confidence or something. As a WR Diggs should be putting his two hands up and snatching the ball out of the air, not waiting for it to come into his body.  But he shoulda caught it anyway. Just a terrible job there by Diggs all around.

• Disagree 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:02 PM, Chugga said:

There were a million reasons why we lost this game.  And Josh willed this team to get as close to victory as we did.  Diggs drop, Sherfield drop, bad 1st down playcalling, defensive struggles, missed kick, etc.

But nothing will sit with me more from this game than the throw to Shakir in the end zone with a wide open Diggs streaking underneath.  Even if we hit that pass and take the lead, you give the chiefs 1:40 and two TOs against a defense that hasn’t really stopped them.  The Diggs pass runs the clock, shortens the kick if needed, but most importantly moves the chains.

Totally heartbroken…

💯 

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs getting a first down on that play wasn't even guaranteed.  Two guys could have easily collapsed on him and KC was doing a great job of tackling and not allowing extra yards in the pass game as they tightened up throughout the game.  The time for Allen to throw that pass if he were to would have been right over the middle, 2 yards past the LoS.  Diggs would have had 7 yards to go with 2 chiefs in his way to stop it.

The throw to Shakir was the right read.

I don’t hate the throw to Shakir, but that’s a first down all day.

Now that a day or two has passed, can we talk about getting Jason Kelce his own permanent box going forward? (Assuming he retires)

Is there a more famous Buffalo guy than him. Crushing beers, bowling ball shots, shirtless, helping little kids meet their hero’s. 

On 1/21/2024 at 10:02 PM, Chugga said:

There were a million reasons why we lost this game.  And Josh willed this team to get as close to victory as we did.  Diggs drop, Sherfield drop, bad 1st down playcalling, defensive struggles, missed kick, etc.

But nothing will sit with me more from this game than the throw to Shakir in the end zone with a wide open Diggs streaking underneath.  Even if we hit that pass and take the lead, you give the chiefs 1:40 and two TOs against a defense that hasn’t really stopped them.  The Diggs pass runs the clock, shortens the kick if needed, but most importantly moves the chains.

Totally heartbroken…

This.  And it really wasn't hard to break it down in the real time moment.  At 2nd and 9 from the KC 27 at the two minute warning, the first down was MORE important than the TD right there.  It's hard to say that, but it was.  The Chiefs were allowing the middle of the field to some extent.  Take it, you have two plays to get 9 yards and they weren't really stopping the Bills short stuff on that drive.  Get the 9 yards, make them take the timeouts or bleed the clock.  Make it so Buffalo is either going to get a lead TD with little time left or at worst, kick the FG from closer in for a nearly a guaranteed OT.   The time was the key thing...to leave KC with almost no clock left for a comeback TD or a GW FG.  Buffalo really blew that and McDermott/Brady must be sick about it.

It's the Bills that are overrated.  Every team in the league has at least a couple great players other teams would covet. 
But the Bills are simply also-rans.  Get to the playoffs, win a wild card round game and then go home.  That's great if your this years Green Bay Packers or Houston Texans doing it.  But doing it 3 years in a row just shows what a fringe team the Bills are. Whenever this team improves in one area, such as the running game this year, they fall back in another, such as the receiving corps under-performing.

We've seen Kansas City rise, also seen Cincinnati rise and get to SB, and Baltimore rising this year.  The Bills are just stagnant. This team hasn't grown, they haven't really tapped into their playoff experience and they just don't seem to want it as much as other teams. 

Edited by dakrider
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dakrider said:

It's the Bills that are overrated.  Every team in the league has at least a couple great players other teams would covet. 
But the Bills are simply also-rans.  Get to the playoffs, win a wild card round game and then go home.  That's great if your this years Green Bay Packers or Houston Texans doing it.  But doing it 3 years in a row just shows what a fringe team the Bills are. Whenever this team improves in one area, such as the running game this year, they fall back in another, such as the receiving corps under-performing.

We've seen Kansas City rise, also seen Cincinnati rise and get to SB, and Baltimore rising this year.  The Bills are just stagnant. This team hasn't grown, they haven't really tapped into their playoff experience and they just don't seem to want it as much as other teams. 

Their success the last 3 seasons can be directly tied to the great play of Allen. But ultimately football is a team game and the rest of the roster and coaching matters.  A guy like Allen should be the icing on the cake that gets you over the hump.  It is football malpractice how Bean & McD are wasting Allen's skills. 

1 minute ago, dakrider said:

we have, more or less, one premier player who is clutch, and that is josh allen.

the numbers of us folding hard in the offseason due to defensive failings are true and obvious, but unless we add a player or two who are clutch monsters on d, and that seems unlikely, our best chance to win it all is to support josh allen who has come close to winning it vs kc himself twice now.

our d is gonna fall off some next year w guys leaving, and it really doesn't matter.  they blew plenty of games including this last one.  when it comes to the big time stuff, josh allen is like no other and we need to build on strength.  i think the way we get over this hump is make our O as deadly as it can be adding via draft, trade, free agency, kidnapping, human cloning, i don't care; weapons.  WRs who give us things we dont have.  speed, size, hands.  we need to add a top flight guy, and other guys too.  

in 2020 we had zilch production from RB and from TE, and our Oline was pretty weak (cody ford, that dude from the jets at RT, we had some real slugs out there) but our o was massive because diggs and aging brown and beez gave allen too much to work with.

now that we have rbs, blocking, and TE play, we gotta go over the top and just boat race teams.  i trust mc corch to turn a less talented d into an equally effective d to what we've seen the last 5 playoff exits, at least.

27 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No Skip, Allen is not overrated.  58 yards in the air and right on the hands.  A huge moment in the game.

421500222_411156137917146_6486831551973871849_n.thumb.jpg.2fde904a941e989951b841d6b48f7a5b.jpg

The Sherfield drop has also gotten kind of lost in everything that happened.  That pass was a ROCKET - a truly unbelievably elite throw few can make

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Success said:

Hadn't really thought about this - but every time the Chiefs have beaten us in the playoffs, they lost the following week.

Don't remember this first one as well mostly because I've tried to erase that moment from my mind. Second one was in particularly hilarious fashion, they took a good lead in the first half proceeded to not score any points in the second I believe allowing the Bengals to tie and go into OT, oh the horror another coin flip game after the last is it another classic. Mahomes gets the ball again how can he keep getting away with all this luck, oh he threw a pick 13 seconds in. 😭

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This, all offseason. Thanks McDermott.

Yeah I don't give a ***** what any of these people say anymore, the fact that they can spew ***** like this after that game makes their opinions completely meaningless. They just want to hate on him to farm our clicks and I have no interest in being their ***** pigeon.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Michael McCarthy on X: "WHOAH: Chiefs vs. Bills thriller was most-watched NFL Divisional Playoff game EVER, generating over 50M viewers for CBS Sports. Viewership peaked at more than 56M viewers. https://t.co/52ZG3H0tkC" / X (twitter.com)

The two best players in football went at it again and the game didn't disappoint fans without an interest in the outcome. Only one of them had to play at his best but they still both played great football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.