Raiders Hire HC Pierce

Pierce got the job. I think this is the latest bad call by Davis. Last time, he didn’t hire the interim guy and that failed miserably. This time, because of last time, he hired the guy.

Taking over like Pierce did has zero in common with being the guy and running the team from day 1. So Davis hired an unknown, when maybe he could’ve hired the completest KNOWN in NFL history. 

He should have hired Belichick. I think the fit would’ve been perfect. If Davis was thinking that he got burned by Gruden’s reign and he didn’t want to go that way again with Belichick, he’d be dead wrong. Belichick isn’t Gruden, in anyway.

My instincts tell me that Bill would’ve loved to coach Vegas and break Halas’s record while in Silver and Black. It’s an iconic franchise, that I think BB is a huge fan of, and it would’ve made a lot of sense and had the right look to the end of his recording breaking career. The NFL would’ve loved it too. 

Unless you guys pull up references to Belichick having beef with the Davis’s and tha Raiders..? I’d love to learn about it.

I’m guessing that part of the interview process for these teams who are courting BB includes how they’ll handle the record breaking moment. To which, Bill will whisper-mutter …I don’t want anything happening between plays…. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he should have hired Harbaugh. Unless of course Jim turned down an interview and we don't know about it. That was the best fit for him IMO.

Doubtful Harbaugh wanted the job anyways. In my opinion, the Chargers are the most likely landing spot. 

• Agree 2

The players overwhelmingly wanted Pierce. The inmates can't run the asylum, but they clearly responded to him. Dan Campbell's success in Detroit is a recent example of a player's coach that earned the respect of the lockerroom, I bet that was a factor.

Not to mention, quality candidates are also probably not lining up for the job.

Edited by Punch
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, I’ve got the Chargers and Harbaugh. Belichick was never going to go to that mess in LA. That’s exactly where players and coaches go to become irrelevant. A record of that stature happening for the Los Angeles Chargers is just a sad thing. I think the NFL just wants to forget that pigmy thing in the basement of SoFi even exists.

The Falcons seem so strange for either of these two, but they could be offering the best deal to the coaches. 

26 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Good hire. He earned it with the job he did. Had the team playing hard & overachieving. They need a massive infusion of talent, starting at QB.

They beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead

• Agree 2

I dont have the time or enrgery to look it up.

But has there ever been an interim guy that then gets the full time job and done really well? 

I'm struggling to recall anyone that actually did well when they first got the job as an interim 

Note. This is NFL I'm talking. The Michigan basketball coach Steve Fisher that won a NCAA championship as and interim that took over for the Fab 5 may be the greatest interim to HC story in sports history. 

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

But has there ever been an interim guy that then gets the full time job and done really well? 

I'm struggling to recall anyone that actually did well when they first got the job as an interim 

Note. This is NFL I'm talking. The Michigan basketball coach Steve Fisher that won a NCAA championship as and interim that took over for the Fab 5 may be the greatest interim to HC story in sports history. 

Exactly. Plus, Pierce has no head coaching experience. This is beyond risky for the Raiders. I think people get blinded by the success during the interim. That’s no indicator for future success as the head guy beginning day 1. All I’m really saying is that it’s beyond risky, and there are other less riskier moves that could’ve been made.

I’d have to think that the Raiders job is very prestigious to NFL men. In Vegas.. come on. This is a dream job.  

Edited by Thrivefourfive

28 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Doubtful Harbaugh wanted the job anyways. In my opinion, the Chargers are the most likely landing spot. 

They are a bad spot for him though. I don't see him and the Spanos family happily co-existing.

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think Jeff Fisher was originally an interim with the Oilers, ended up coaching them to a Superbowl appearance (as the Titans). Remember seeing that on an NFL films thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Jeff Fisher was originally an interim with the Oilers, ended up coaching them to a Superbowl appearance (as the Titans). Remember seeing that on an NFL films thing.

Excellent example. Thanks!

Levy doesn't count. He took over team midway through a season but he wasn't the interim HC and he was not promoted from within. 

But to be honest I,don't recall if others were interviewed for the job back then.... I was 16 and not following that closely 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Excellent example. Thanks!

The only other one I have is Marrone in Jax. Took them to an AFCCG but it was a lightening in a bottle season and they disintegrated quickly after. 

The one that always stood out as "shoulda" to me is Dan Campbell in Miami. Went 5-7 but his team competed their asses off every week and they passed him over to hire Adam Gase. Major mistake and I was saying it even then. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Herbert is the equalizer. We shall see 😊

I think the chance to coach Herbert is no doubt tempting. But it is one of the worst ownership situations in the league. They don't like spending money and they interfere. Worst of both worlds. And Harbaugh is incapable of biting his tongue

Edited by GunnerBill

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Here's an article that lists all the interim coaches since 2000. Mostly uninspiring. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/01/the-nfls-interim-coaches-since-2000

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the chance to coach Herbert is no doubt tempting. But it is one of the worst ownership situations in the league. They don't like spending money and they interfere. Worst of both worlds. And Harbaugh is incapable of biting his tongue

Those are facts but they may throw a ton of money his way. Definitely bizarre and erratic ownership! 

25 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Here's an article that lists all the interim coaches since 2000. Mostly uninspiring. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/01/the-nfls-interim-coaches-since-2000

Frazier and Garrett did get the jobs permanently and take their teams to the playoffs at least but other than them (and Marrone mentioned above) not a lot to note.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Frazier and Garrett did get the jobs permanently and take their teams to the playoffs at least but other than them (and Marrone mentioned above) not a lot to note.

Those were the two that stuck out to me. Garrett had a long run but not overly successful. For the guys that retained the position it would be interesting how their longevity compares to the average first time coach.  

I think this was a good hire. You want a coach that gets a team to punch above its weight and does more with less. 

Pierce clearly showed he could do that. Their DC, Patrick Graham, is one to watch as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Exactly. Plus, Pierce has no head coaching experience. This is beyond risky for the Raiders. I think people get blinded by the success during the interim. That’s no indicator for future success as the head guy beginning day 1. All I’m really saying is that it’s beyond risky, and there are other less riskier moves that could’ve been made.

I’d have to think that the Raiders job is very prestigious to NFL men. In Vegas.. come on. This is a dream job.  

He has head coaching experience,  just this past season. That's more experience than many new hires over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s kind of nice to see an interim coach earn themselves the job for once 

6 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I feel like an interim keeps the job so infrequently that the sample size is too small to comment on either way.  I think marrone was one technically but they probably always planned for him to get a shot at hc 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

He has head coaching experience,  just this past season. That's more experience than many new hires over the years. 

Was he a coordinator? I don’t know. I’d say being a coordinator from day 1 has more to do with being a head coach than being an interim head coach. I just believe that for an interim, they haven’t created anything—they’re just taking over for an already established thing. 

Love it. Wonder why the Falcons aren’t deciding Antonio Pierce or Bill Belichick? 

Anyone here believe that Pierce is a better choice than Bill Belichick for the Raiders? Or for any team? I’d love to hear it. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

34 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Was he a coordinator? I don’t know. I’d say being a coordinator from day 1 has more to do with being a head coach than being an interim head coach. I just believe that for an interim, they haven’t created anything—they’re just taking over for an already established thing. 

Love it. Wonder why the Falcons aren’t deciding Antonio Pierce or Bill Belichick? 

Anyone here believe that Pierce is a better choice than Bill Belichick for the Raiders? Or for any team? I’d love to hear it. 

What are you talking about?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

You may be right…the tools are there but Herbert still has a lot of upside

I see the same guy I saw at Oregon, talented, but no “it” factor.  Maybe it’s the terrible coaching, but maybe it’s just the same guy.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only other one I have is Marrone in Jax. Took them to an AFCCG but it was a lightening in a bottle season and they disintegrated quickly after. 

The one that always stood out as "shoulda" to me is Dan Campbell in Miami. Went 5-7 but his team competed their asses off every week and they passed him over to hire Adam Gase. Major mistake and I was saying it even then. 

Where is Adam Gase now?

I think hiring head coaches has so much weirdness and luck involved, I’m not going to be too critical unless a team hires a known bad coach (like Josh McDaniels).

This guy had the benefit of the locker room being bought in and overachieving, so that is something.

Really doesn’t matter who the HC is if they don’t get a QB.

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I see the same guy I saw at Oregon, talented, but no “it” factor.  Maybe it’s the terrible coaching, but maybe it’s just the same guy.

Watching him at Oregon,  I also felt that something was missing.  Maybe he was just overhyped. 

I think the question here is whether the players response was tied to the fact that he had the interim title.  As we saw with the Chargers, even bad teams tend to play hard when their head coach gets fired and an interim takes over.

Now that he's the full time head coach, will Pierce be able to maintain this?  I honestly don't know.  I do know the Raiders threw a ton of money at Josh McDaniels and so it did seem unlikely that they'd make another run at a Belichick or Harbaugh-type coach that would demand a lot of cash.

• Agree 1

On 1/20/2024 at 5:02 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think this has been settled my friend 😊

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.