Jerod Mayo is the new Pats HC

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Wow.  Thought for sure it was Vrabel.

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-hiring-jerod-mayo-as-new-head-coach

There we’re reports in the media that Mayo rubbed some the wrong way in the org and that his future as Patriots HC could be in question.  I guess that was the Belichick camp maybe?  

I thought Vrabel was a slam dunk for that job.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He helped us out this year and almost did it twice, somehow this has made up for being an ####### with a chippy team running a system that wasn't going to get him through the Playoffs that we played every year.

Yeah, he's not some super successful head coach who was a shoe-in. And also...who the ***** cares.... for what it's worth, Jerod Mayo is another former Pat LB meathead who I'm sure will be just fine...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Somebody has probably asked this but don’t they have to go through the motions of interviewing candidates?

They don't have to because Mayo had it in his contract that he would be head coach when BB left:

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/jerod-mayo-hired-new-england-patriots-head-coach-bill-belichick-replacement-departure-robert-kraft-nfl/

So there was little chance they would hire Vrabel unless Kraft was willing to be sued.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

They will also be 4th in Boston as well. Interest in the Sox, B's, and Celtics will be higher. 

lol that be wrong… you obviously have not seen the state of the Boston Red Sox whose owners don’t even feel the need to fake interest in the team.. that team is going be so bad it’s scary.. 

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

lol that be wrong… you obviously have not seen the state of the Boston Red Sox whose owners don’t even feel the need to fake interest in the team.. that team is going be so bad it’s scary.. 

I was always under the impression that Boston was a baseball town first. That is rare since football is the #1 most popular sport in the country by a large margin. I do remember before Parcells got there the Pats were 4th behind the other 3 teams. Obviously, the popularity of the NFL has exploded since then so maybe you are right.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Do you realize you have to go back to 1990 thru 1992 for the last time the Pats had terrible head coaches.

Before Bill they had Pete Carroll from 97-99. He went a respectable 27-21.

Bill Parcells from 93-96. He turned them around from garbage. He went 34-34 overall.

Now for the garbage coaching/teams

Dick MacPherson from 91-92 went 8-24 

Rod Rust in 90 went 1-15.

So, from 90-92 they went a combined 9-39. That isn't much better than the 84-85 Bills.

Just did a quick check.  Bills only lost once to the Pats* during this 3-season stretch (1991).  Great years...

6 hours ago, Doc said:

Well, except for Mayo being wholly unproven as a HC or even DC...

Right, while I’m not a massive Vrabel fan he’s a solid veteran coach in the NFL. Mayo was a position coach on a sub .500 team. Have the Pats LBs been great the past 4 years ? Seems like Bob K wants his people including whoever the GM is( also likely in house). Who will let he and the family play pretend GMs and do the Cowboys like meddle like Jerry. The only problem is they have no qb and arguably a bottom 5 roster. Good luck, go Bills! 

12 hours ago, Doc said:

He's been in-line to get the job for years.  It would be a bad look to go back on it.

Seems odd. Can only be done for a minority hire. Unlike Tomlin, he’s had exactly one football experience. That’s with the Pats. The last 4 years they have been the worst's player evaluators in the NFL. Now they will hire either internal or former Pats guys who Bob can control. He could be a great coach but I think this is a very tough job post Hoody!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

He's been in-line to get the job for years?

He's 37 years old and got his first coaching gig as Inside Linebackers coach in 2019.

Yes I suppose legally. But wow this guy will need to be unreal given where the Pats are at. 

I can’t even share here why his wife deactivated her Twitter/X account today..

How do you know your husband is going to be named head coach of the Patriots and not clear out your likes on Twitter 😂

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Holy hyperbole. This isn’t Nick Saban at Bama, who also went to a championship game with a below average roster (for them). This is a garbage, bottom 3 roster that has garbage qbs; garbage weapons; and made a STs/ DCa 2nd year qbs OC. They made the playoffs once since Brady left and lost in historic fashion. 

also, some of you are stuck in the past where this move will “set your franchise back 10 years” Bs. The Texans were maybe the worst team of the last 4 years. They got a new qb and new coach and made the playoffs in their first year, 

True with astute drafting and FA moves. The Texans have been built well over those 4 years with solid moves. The Pats have done none of that during the past 4 years. It will to work with the 3rd QB in the draft. If they are fortunate it’s a start. If it’s the wrong guy-good luck.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

No chance.  He's a coach first and foremost and will have his pick of the available jobs.

I’m not so sure. Maybe Carolina if they don’t get a trendy OC. 

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, he's not some super successful head coach who was a shoe-in. And also...who the ***** cares.... for what it's worth, Jerod Mayo is another former Pat LB meathead who I'm sure will be just fine...

I agree, but he also was a pretty good coach with strong ties to NE.

He was also Coach of the Year just 2 seasons ago, and coached them to 4 straight winning, 3 playoff appearances, the number 1 seed, and made an AFCCG.... with Ryan Tannehill at QB.

Then again, that was mostly off the back of Derek Henry, but that's still impressive in a pass-happy league!

Until they settle the QB position, it’s gonna be a tough road to hoe for Mayo. But that defense is legit upper tier so he has something to work with until they do find a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I agree, but he also was a pretty good coach with strong ties to NE.

He was also Coach of the Year just 2 seasons ago, and coached them to 4 straight winning, 3 playoff appearances, the number 1 seed, and made an AFCCG.... with Ryan Tannehill at QB.

Then again, that was mostly off the back of Derek Henry, but that's still impressive in a pass-happy league!

Derrick Henry and that great WR combo they had.

A guy with only 5 years of coaching experience - and no HC or coordinator experience - is chosen to be the head coach of the New England Patriots instead of them retaining the 3rd winningest coach in NFL history.

It's not Holy-Sh*t-the-Lions-just-made-Matt-Millen-their-CEO/GM! strange, but it does seem odd.  

According to reports out of Boston, it's not as weird as it first appears.  Kraft thinks Mayo is an up-and-coming coaching star and, reportedly, Mayo had a contract said he'd take over as HC in 2024.  The succession plan was accelerated by just a year.  

After retiring as a player, Mayo worked as a "financial executive" for a couple of years.  That expression could refer to a lot of different occupations, but it seems maybe Mayo is a little brighter than the average NFL alum, a little more together.  

In Boston they say Mayo was more than just a LB coach this past season.  He was the de facto co-DC and very involved in the entire Pats defense.  It's also said that he's well-respected by the players.  

And since a succession plan was in place, presumably Hoodie was mentoring Mayo on the finer points of being a head coach.  

Mayo isn't as unlikely and unprepared as I first thought.  Though the odds of any new HC being successful are long.  

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

A guy with only 5 years of coaching experience - and no HC or coordinator experience - is chosen to be the head coach of the New England Patriots instead of them retaining the 3rd winningest coach in NFL history.

It's not Holy-Sh*t-the-Lions-just-made-Matt-Millen-their-CEO/GM! strange, but it does seem odd.  

According to reports out of Boston, it's not as weird as it first appears.  Kraft thinks Mayo is an up-and-coming coaching star and, reportedly, Mayo had a contract said he'd take over as HC in 2024.  The succession plan was accelerated by just a year.  

After retiring as a player, Mayo worked as a "financial executive" for a couple of years.  That expression could refer to a lot of different occupations, but it seems maybe Mayo is a little brighter than the average NFL alum, a little more together.  

In Boston they say Mayo was more than just a LB coach this past season.  He was the de facto co-DC and very involved in the entire Pats defense.  It's also said that he's well-respected by the players.  

And since a succession plan was in place, presumably Hoodie was mentoring Mayo on the finer points of being a head coach.  

Mayo isn't as unlikely and unprepared as I first thought.  Though the odds of any new HC being successful are long.  

I think Mayo could be a talented Head Coach. It isn't like he was someone no-name candidate. He was a finalist for the Eagles job that went to Siriani, he interviewed with a couple of teams last year (definitely Denver and I have a feeling one other) and Carolina had already put in a slip for him this year. But man this is a hell of a situation to be thrown into. And what they do at GM now is going to be fascinating. 

The question for me is can he be a new start or is he too much continuity candidate in an organisation desperate for a re-set.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Mayo could be a talented Head Coach. It isn't like he was someone no-name candidate. He was a finalist for the Eagles job that went to Siriani, he interviewed with a couple of teams last year (definitely Denver and I have a feeling one other) and Carolina had already put in a slip for him this year. But man this is a hell of a situation to be thrown into. And what they do at GM now is going to be fascinating. 

The question for me is can he be a new start or is he too much continuity candidate in an organisation desperate for a re-set.

He'll go as far as his GM and QB take him (look at Belicheat).  Those are the next critical moves but hiring a good GM with a HC already on-board is a tough sell while they'll be in-line to get at-best the 3rd best QB (I think Chicago will take one and Washington certainly will).

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Well, you know they’re gonna continue to have a good defense

Offensively we will see

It's going to be interesting for sure in Foxboro. If you're under 30 you would not probably remember the Pats without Belichick. I think I heard yesterday that during his time there that the Bills, Jets and Dolphins collectively went through 25 head coaches. So you talk about stability you were seeing it in N.E. for about 1/4 of a century as far as a head coach. For them they're entering unchartered waters and as an outsider it will be interesting to see how that team is run after being run one man's way for that long.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.

The Pats finished 7th in defense (yards) this past season.  I'm going to assume, and maybe I shouldn't, that Mayo can keep the D on the right track even without the grumpy genius.

The offense, on the other hand, finished 30th and requires both an OC and QB, among other needs.   And filling the roster needs is going to require a good GM.  

A lot has to fall into place for Mayo to be successful.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.