Another one(Mall) bites the dust

BillsPride12

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/northtowns/its-a-new-chapter-in-our-lives-inside-of-eastern-hills-mall-set-to-close-january-14

Even though this was inevitable and not surprising still kinda sad to see another Mall closing in the area.  I didn't grow up going to Eastern Hills as I was a Northtowner and our mall was the old Summit Park Mall but in recent years I made a couple trips out there with my old man checking out some of the flea market/antique and sports collectible stores they still had going.  You could tell nothing had been updated inside there since the 90s or Hell maybe even the 80s LOL...so it had a cool Nostalgic vibe strolling through there.  It actually reminded me of Summit Park which has now probably been defunct for at least 15 years.  Anybody have any good memories or stories from there?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/northtowns/its-a-new-chapter-in-our-lives-inside-of-eastern-hills-mall-set-to-close-january-14

Even though this was inevitable and not surprising still kinda sad to see another Mall closing in the area.  I didn't grow up going to Eastern Hills as I was a Northtowner and our mall was the old Summit Park Mall but in recent years I made a couple trips out there with my old man checking out some of the flea market/antique and sports collectible stores they still had going.  You could tell nothing had been updated inside there since the 90s or Hell maybe even the 80s LOL...so it had a cool Nostalgic vibe strolling through there.  It actually reminded me of Summit Park which has now probably been defunct for at least 15 years.  Anybody have any good memories or stories from there?

From Eastern Hills? No. I could go for a slice of Leon's Pizza though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:13 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Eastern Hills use to be THE mall in WNY.  Sad to see malls go, but things are cyclical and I think at some future point, people will long for the good old days of malls and they will make some type of renaissance. 

I think it's less cyclical than a reflection of societal changes.   In the 1970s, malls replaced the big downtown department stores that had dominated the retail landscape since the 1880s as well as the shopping plazas that flourished in the 1950s and 1960s.   Now, malls are dying off and being replaced by "life style centers" (housing/retail/dining), large shopping centers (much like old style plazas), and on-line shopping.

• Agree 1

I used to go to all the suburban malls in the early 1980s.  My fondest memory was in Boulevard Mall when I got my 1st pair of glasses and I was amazed how different things looked as I was walking out of the optical store.  Things had been blurry for a while when I finally decided to go for an eye exam.  

• Like (+1) 1

So malls are dying, I guess that makes sense. Went to a movie at mall a theater on Christmas Eve in the middle of the afternoon and it was empty. I just thought at the time it was because it was Christmas, but now that I'm thinking about it, is that like the opposite of how that should have worked?

Edited by Warcodered

Today's shopper.

1. Go to stores website

2. Click on what you want and add it to your cart.

3. Proceed to check. Put all information in like your CC and address.

4. Place order and get confirmation number.

5. Package at your front door a week or so later.

Don't need a mall for this.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Today's shopper.

1. Go to stores website

6.  Make police report.  Package stolen. 😕

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So malls are dying, I guess that makes sense. Went to a movie at mall a theater on Christmas Eve in the middle of the afternoon and it was empty. I just thought at the time it was because it was Christmas, but now that I'm thinking about it, is that like the opposite of how that should have worked?

I cannot tell you the last time I've been to a mall. Maybe 2 years ago when I went to a dirt mall looking for a shoe repair place to try to fix a piece of hockey gear for me. They wouldn't. I left.

23 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

While going to ECC North, I also started working in a gas station.  While building a mechanic's tool collection, a lot of the 'Craftsman' tools came from the Sears at Eastern Hills.

Yes, I paid for them! 🤨

Funny how things change culturally over time.  Back in the 80s and 90s Malls were thee place to hang for teenagers.  In the last decade or maybe even longer don't think Malls have had any significance on teen life.  Gonna have to go watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High soon 

On 1/15/2024 at 7:36 AM, Gregg said:

Today's shopper.

1. Go to stores website

My wife recently ordered something minor (maybe a small kitchen item?) about noon on a Sunday. It was at our door before dinner. 

Malls have to evolve. The ones we used to shop at have turned into more of an entertainment hub than a shopping location. More arcades and restaurants are coming in where the Sears stores used to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

The good old days - when Sattlers at the Boulevard Mall featured a music store which carried Vox amplifiers and guitars! 

It was the time of Beatlemania, and Vox was their brand of amplifiers. Especially the Vox Super Beatle amp, about 5 feet tall in it’s chrome stand!

That was just the most fun place to visit in that era!

On 1/17/2024 at 11:36 AM, Augie said:

Malls have to evolve. The ones we used to shop at have turned into more of an entertainment hub than a shopping location. More arcades and restaurants are coming in where the Sears stores used to be. 

One of the dead malls where I live is trying to convert into a lifestyle center, shopping, entertainment, apartments, etc.  But the issue currently is the company that owns the portion where Sears and Macy were, does not want to sell.  They haven't done or tried to do anything with the spaces in years, so it looks like eminent domain it is.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.