McDermott: Steelers "Handled us easily in the preseason."

12 hours ago, JMM said:

VERY concerned about that forecast.  Would absolutely be a possible equalizer and favor PERFECTLY the style and strengths of their team. 

Eh it kind of favor's ours too though.  This is why you get Josh allen - big arms, hands, running ability.  This is why you have 2 solid TE's.  Why you grabbed fournette and murray.  

6 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

People are still scarred by that pats wind game lol 

That we only ran allen 6 times in that game is sort of criminal.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I posted this wondering if we could glean anything from the preseason loss against the Steelers. Two pages in and not one point or reference to that game has been mentioned. 😂

In the past, I would worry that the Steelers could "out physical" Buffalo. But in this case I don't think that's going to happen. Buffalo is physical enough to hang with Pittsburgh and Tomlin's old school style.

I know Tomlin talks up the offensive and defensive lines. The Bills need to be prepared to compete at the line of scrimmage, much like that they did against Miami and Dallas.

If the weather is windy and cold, that will limit the downfield passing game, and limit the amount of time Josh can operate out of the shotgun. In the preseason, I think Josh took every snap out of shotgun and I am not sure that Dorsey ran the ball at all.

I guess it's going to be a super physical game.

Unless the game plan is for Josh to use his arm to cut through the wind (?), which I think would be the wrong approach.

Felt like mostly offensive line/wrs blocking related penalties that derailed us on offense in the preseason game.  My only memory of that game was us having like a 3rd and 30 lol I think no watt and a whole season of the offensive line getting snaps will clean that up 

I remember being more worried about the defense after that one though…Steelers marched right down and scored back to back drives 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

38 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Johnson’s concussion and the weather may combine to dictate that both Fournette and Murray dress and play a good amount.

I've loving Lenny on this team. Always liked him. I sense a big moment coming from him 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Simon said:

The Stillers reputation as a tough running team is more historical than it is a current reality, imo.

The Bills have more rushing yards, a better rushing average, more rushing TD's, more first downs rushing, etc.

I also think there is a certain level of wind which all but eliminates the Stillers passing attack, while only only somewhat hampering the Bills. Josh Allen can drive the ball through some winds that Mason Rudolph cannot.

If there is a legitimate equalizer to fear, it is having 8" of snow on the field.

Good point.  When Kenny Pickett was running Matt Canada’s offense there was no fear of passing and defense stacked the box.  

You routinely saw Najee Harris get stuffed for 2 yard gains each time.  

The Bills "hosted" the Steelers at the Rogers Centre in Toronto in an August 2008 preseason game. The Bills were up big in that game, eventually winning 24-21. The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl in Feb 2009. This season, the Steelers were up big on the Bills in preseason. Just sayin...

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is why the Bills have to have a run game.

Was just gonna say that. Paging James Cook

I think ya'll looking too much into this pre-season game

This comment is coach speak to challenge his team and keep them fired up against a much lesser opponent. 

“I dunno guys - seemed like they were the tougher group….” 

….when it’s preseason, back ups are playing and there’s no scheme conveniently left off of his remarks 

Edited by NoSaint

13 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

It’s funny because we have been largely a finesse team and weather has not been an advantage. We actually have a run game now, we will see if that changes. I don’t know how the weather helps us though. 

Do we?  

The Dallas game was a thing of beauty: Cook hitting nice holes with burst and vision.  

But against the Fins, for example, both backs averaged less than 3 yards per carry.  Josh's plunges and scrambles were our run game.  

Bad weather hurts passing teams.  We're a passing team.   

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

This comment is coach speak to challenge his team and keep them fired up against a much lesser opponent. 

“I dunno guys - seemed like they were the tougher group….” 

….when it’s preseason, back ups are playing and there’s no scheme conveniently left off

Yeah this is McD keeping billboard material to a minimum. Chess match with Tomlin.  Probably a defensive struggle

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Do we?  

The Dallas game was a thing of beauty: Cook hitting nice holes with burst and vision.  

But against the Fins, for example, both backs averaged less than 3 yards per carry.  Josh's plunges and scrambles were our run game.  

Bad weather hurts passing teams.  We're a passing team.   

The Steelers are down Watt,  we'll be a running team lol

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Weather can be an equalizer, yes.  But I'd say overall a weather game benefits whichever team has a 6'5 240 lb stampeding antelope at QB

Keep in mind that Pitt’s QB is 6’5 235 pounds and for some reason has decided to play well the last three weeks after being terrible for most of his career.

My main concern with the weather is being able to kick field goals if necessary. For whatever reason (injury, confidence, etc) we do not trust Bass to kick long this year. We have not even attempted a field goal over 50 yards in over 10 weeks. We either go for it on 4th down or punt. 

Add in 20+ mph winds and i’m thinking that field goal range is going to shrink even further.

53 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

If there's no TJ Watt, then there had better be one hell of a game plan for Cam Heyward. That guy always seems to get his stats against us. 

I kept hearing the same thing about Melvin Ingram this past week..

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Eh it kind of favor's ours too though.  This is why you get Josh allen - big arms, hands, running ability.  This is why you have 2 solid TE's.  Why you grabbed fournette and murray.  

That we only ran allen 6 times in that game is sort of criminal.  

You make a good point,  our TE's could be a key, and if we can get Playoff Lenny going...Pitt has a terrific TE too of course.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Simon said:

It's not mentioned there but there is actually some potential for a serious lake effect event next Sat/Sun as well. :ph34r:

move the game to Detroit or Miami (their stadium is not being used)! 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Haha (+1) 1

Weather being such an X variable, I don't know how much we can really take away from that last meeting, if anything. So much has changed since then as well, regardless of the impending weather. All I know is, I like our D against the reindeer at QB, our QB's ability to make good things happen with his legs, and how James Cook brings a whole new element/ability to pound the rock even against top D lines (Dallas comes to mind) in inclement conditions. We just need to protect the rock, avoid dumb fumbles in the snow and play the way that we know we are capable of! Back in the day weather at Rich in the playoffs was always perceived to be our friend, and used to our advantage where the no-huddle still hummed along at its high level while the others were left slipping and sliding around aimlessly...why shouldn't we have that swagger again?     

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.