Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

Gabe vs Sherfield   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This probably could have been a joke or troll thread at some point this year, but I'm posting it because I absolutely think Sherfield will just be better than Gabe for the playoff run.

Great run blocker like Gabe.

Demonstrated the same sideline awareness Gabe has made himself famous for with that TD.

And that just leaves the question of the communication... well, Gabe has shown 4 years of catching passes from Allen hasn't done anything for his understanding of things like what route he should run on a zero Blitz, so I'll put my money on Sherfield and his veteran experience.

I liked the Sherfield signing, even said that I felt he could step in and replicate Davis production if Davis got hurt.  And I still think he could...HOWEVER...lets not let one sensational play over shadow one issue that has been in play throughout the season.  And that is that Sherfield and Allen have had some of the "not on the same page" communication things that Davis has had.  

Now a big part of that could be simply Sherfield barely getting any reps to build that rapport, but I don't think that him stepping into Davis role automatically becomes a better connection in terms of those communication issues. 

So...do I think Sherfield "could" be a  better WR2 in the playoffs if Davis misses time...sure, the potential is there, but also not sold that him and Josh have enough rapport to not lead to communication error turnovers like that has plagued the Davis Allen connection at times (38% of thrown INTs are to Davis).  

My next thing is Shakir...if Davis misses some time (and I kind of would like to see the offense one full game with Davis out say this week), I would much rather see Shakir get a bigger slice of a role and have more plays designed and called for him.  Personally, I think Shakir could be a big producer if featured in an offense like how Nacua was for the Rams this year.  When I watch Nacua here in LA this year, I kept saying I don't see him doing anything that I don't firmly believe Shakir could do if he was in his role in LA.  

So, nothing against Shefield, but I personally think that Shakir is the one we will see really step up more if Davis misses time, or at least I think it should be because him and Allen seem to be dialed in when Allen goes his way. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Sherfield had the worst catch% on the team.  

22 targets, 11 catches

50%

Also the worst yards-per both target and reception.  

Ok, but he might be the only receiver who can execute the play I was referencing. And he actually did it quite well early in the season. 

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Ok, but he might be the only receiver who can execute the play I was referencing. And he actually did it quite well early in the season. 

Not sure that's a great reason to play him more overall.  

He only had 7 catches in our first dozen games.  

In which of those games did he do that? 

Just now, PBF81 said:

Not sure that's a great reason to play him more overall.  

He only had 7 catches in our first dozen games.  

In which of those games did he do that? 

It was more of a note about his physical strength than a rationale, although it looks like he's going to play more regardless. I can't recall the specific game, I'll have to search for it later. Good play, have been surprised they haven't gone back to it. I think maybe they tried it in the eagles game in OT...but he dropped it 😬

We have promoting bad WRs up the depth chart fir 2 years now with Josh Allen at QB, hell no we need to upgrade our Wrs, keeping only Diggs (getting old)  Shakir (slot) and Kincaid at TE.  Knox probably stays due to a bad contract.  We need upgrades everywhere else

6 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

It was more of a note about his physical strength than a rationale, although it looks like he's going to play more regardless. I can't recall the specific game, I'll have to search for it later. Good play, have been surprised they haven't gone back to it. I think maybe they tried it in the eagles game in OT...but he dropped it 😬

I just looked, his only receptions wide for significant gains were in the Cincy game (1) and first Miami game. (2)

I don't know off those were the same types of plays. 

I wouldn't count on much from him in the playoffs the though.

On a side note, Diggs has the highest drop rate of any WR on the team.  Despite narratives, Davis has the lowest.  

• Like (+1) 1

No because Sherfield has done absolutely nothing all season despite coming up big last night.

Davis has shown what he's capable of, especially in the postseason...but you have to be concerned about how woefully out of sync he and Allen are at times. Assuming he does play again this postseason hopefully he goes out with a bang because it's a safe bet he's winding out the string in Buffalo.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Gabe has showed up big on occasional as in KC game.  Never seen Sherfield play that well.

I agree.  I sincerely doubt if Sherfield will have a big game like that.

But I do believe that Sherfield's typical game as a #2 won't be worse than Gabe's typical game.  

• Agree 1

Bring on ANYONE other than Gabe at WR2... our offense is so much better for it, having someone who can get the job done at CATCHING and ROUTE RUNNING and SEPARATION... blocking is lower priority, TBH. What good is great blocking if Gabe is not up to snuff in the other areas?

• Disagree 1

Shakir will benefit the most from Gabe being out but I think Sherfield speed might give Allen a better option in some situations. Having Gabe out might also negate some turnovers. Him and Allen seem to be thinking different things way too much

16 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Honestly, I think Shakir could fill the role himself. I know most people would rather keep him in the slot, but I believe he could do the job as a #2

Good things keep happening when Shakir gets targeted. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I have read a lot of mentions that Shakir cannot be an outside guy.  Could someone explain why not?

it will be interesting to see what you get back. 

Usually lack of speed, lack of strength to beat press or route running are factors in that delineation- but I don’t see that with him. He played outside a bunch in college and did well there. 

Let's keep it simple. Sherfield is a #4 or #5 at best. Other than last night, he had not even been a decent  #4 or #5.

Shakir is a #3. He can have #2 moments and games.

No one on the Bills Roster can be more than a legit #3.

It is Diggs and whomever the Bills draft. Obviously, Harrison Jr, Nabers, Coleman, and Odunze will likely not be around when we pick.

Maybe Adonai Mitchell or Xavier Leggette will be available.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.