Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

46 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

And yet it still will be better on Monday than on Sunday.  So what’s your solution?  Bring 70+k people to OP, force the town/county/state to plow to get them out of there (which it did NOT do during the most recent major snow events to force people to stay off of the roads to allow for cleaning), and then deal with those people and others who decide to travel on roads that are marginally plowed?  And, frankly, the reason so many people (47, IIRC) died in the last storm like this one is that many of them were out on roads and were stuck in cars during the teeth of the blizzard, which is exactly why, from a public safety perspective, this game should not be played here on Sunday.  So it’s either roll the dice on Sunday, play it on Sunday (in Cleveland, apparently), or try it here or in Cleveland/Detroit on Monday.  

This.  It’s nuts.  Unless you’ve been in it, you don’t understand.  

Born and raised on it. Get a lifted truck and some chains and go 5mph. It’s not a big deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

This could be a dangerous post but with Monday also being the Iowa Republican Caucuses, I have to think that networks like CBS, Fox, NBC don't want to be televising football during those evening hours. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor here.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

So the other day I decided that this looked like a ton of fun and I was going to look into grabbing a ticket online and coming up from Western PA.

We were having a major wind event here while I was monkeying around on the computer looking at different sites for the ticket I wanted (first couple rows of the upper deck, between the 40's) and I hear this big crash.

Go to the window, look outside and the wind has knocked down a small tree, which of course has landed directly on my truck and broken the windshield. :doh:

image.thumb.png.0f3751536ac9b47b579c976bcad8993c.png

Well...it sucks, but it might have saved you a trip. Be online with us other degenerates! (I assume everyone here is, sorry for those normal people)

1 minute ago, stlbills13 said:

This could be a dangerous post but with Monday also being the Iowa Republican Caucuses, I have to think that networks like CBS, Fox, NBC don't want to be televising football during those evening hours. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor here.

The NFL is terrified about losing that Iowa demographic.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Lulz 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Huh? The game would be in the afternoon 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The NFL is terrified about losing that Iowa demographic.

We all need corn

The word corn is now used as a SFW synonym for a genre of movie that rhymes with corn. So, is it corn we need, or is it corn we need?

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Don't underestimate the ability for political analysts to discuss something that doesn't matter for 8 straight hours

1 minute ago, MPL said:

The word corn is now used as a SFW synonym for a genre of movie that rhymes with corn. So, is it corn we need, or is it corn we need?

Which one would you rather have from Iowa?

• Haha (+1) 3

Id be willing to wager money that the game gets rescheduled.  If anyone wants to place a friendly small wager let me know. 

Looking at the NOAA hourly forecast it looks like about 8 inches of snow from 1 am Sunday to kickoff. And right at kickoff the band becomes more intense dropping another 8 inches from 1pm to 4 pm. Couple that with 30 mph winds and I don't have much optimism about the game being played Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was driving from Buffalo to Cincinnati after my uncles funeral with my entire family in the car.  It’s dark, and everybody is sleeping when we hit a band of snow near Erie, PA. I can’t see anything! I’m driving by feel using those lane marker bumps. I can’t pull over because I don’t know where over is! I might be just parking in the right lane, for all I know. Trucks and cars all just trying to follow the leader without getting too close, but get too far and you have nothing to follow. 

So I’m doing this white knocked driving all by myself. Suddenly there is a major dip, like a rollercoaster feeling in my stomach. I’m sure I’ve gone off the road, but it’s too smooth. Then a stop sign went by and told me I had gotten off at an exit, but by the time I realized what had happened I was back on the highway! My mother woke up first and I heard “Oh ****!” About 30 minutes later we drove out of it, my father woke up and asked I if wanted him to drive. Yes please. That was the most frightening experience ever driving a car. 

If Mother Nature decides to make a game impossible, that is within her power. You just need the best Plan B possible. 

Nobody drives as good as a dad.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

Born and raised on it. Get a lifted truck and some chains and go 5mph. It’s not a big deal. 

Most people are not going to have big trucks and chains just laying around collecting dust to use for these situations.

Let's be real 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Id be willing to wager money that the game gets rescheduled.  If anyone wants to place a friendly small wager let me know. 

Looking at the NOAA hourly forecast it looks like about 8 inches of snow from 1 am Sunday to kickoff. And right at kickoff the band becomes more intense dropping another 8 inches from 1pm to 4 pm. Couple that with 30 mph winds and I don't have much optimism about the game being played Sunday. 

I’m sorry. We’ve already been told that unless the forecast comes from somebody in West Seneca, Hamburg or someplace closer to Orchard Park it can’t possibly be accurate. 😉

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Not sure what you're looking at but this is the NOAA/NWS hourly forecast graphic and it does not show that at all:

image.thumb.png.896cda8596ac80f411fee7c186ad1491.png

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sorry. We’ve already been told that unless the forecast comes from somebody in West Seneca, Hamburg or someplace closer to Orchard Park it can’t possibly be accurate. 😉

Apparently they were right as whatever he posted is pure bunk.

And in Turk's defense, he has significant meteorology training and is 100% correct.

Unless you're familiar and experienced with this kind of weather, you are a piker.

Kind of like an accountant lecturing an architect about stadium construction. :flirt:

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Most people are not going to have big trucks and chains just laying around collecting dust to use for these situations.

Let's be real 

I thought Rex bought a fleet of trucks for everyone?

Edited by Governor

14 minutes ago, Milanos Milano said:

I wish it was that easy.  I’m good with 4WD and a little sand.  So many people who live here are cruising around in their little Hyundais or the like and they’re the ones who plant it in the snowbank. 

Not sure what you're looking at but this is the NOAA/NWS hourly forecast graphic and it does not show that at all:

Apparently they were correct as whatever he posted is pure bunk.

Yes it does. Look at the blue bars on the bottom. My estimate of 8 inches before the game may actually be low. It looks more like 12 inches. 

16 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

All the more reason to counterprogram with a playoff game

1 minute ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Yes it does. Look at the blue bars on the bottom. My estimate of 8 inches before the game may actually be low. It looks more like 12 inches. 

Your "estimate" of 8" during the game is patently absurd

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Apparently they were right as whatever he posted is pure bunk.

And in Turk's defense, he has significant meteorology training and is 100% correct.

Unless your familiar and experienced with this kind of weather, you are a piker.

Kind of like an accountant lecturing an architect about stadium construction. :flirt:

And you know this because you own a Time Machine and have gone forward to see Sunday? 😉

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And you know this because you own a Time Machine and have gone forward to see Sunday?

I don't know jack.

I just don't want anybody believing that other guy's bullspit.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

this is the 2nd place ive seen monday afternoon...... why during the day? that would really F us. pitt ppl already planned around work and travel.... hard to take a monday off to go, when you wouldnt even know until the weekend

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

this is the 2nd place ive seen monday afternoon...... why during the day? that would really F us. pitt ppl already planned around work and travel.... hard to take a monday off to go, when you wouldnt even know until the weekend

There’s a MNF game at night.  CBS gets an exclusive window for the playoff game.  Monday’s a day off.  The NFL doesn’t care about travel plans of its fans.  And, most importantly, it might be the only way to play this game in Buffalo this weekend. 

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

I'm sure it would suck for a lot of people, but it's also a holiday.

Wouldn't be the end of the world, in fact if the wind isn't as bad it would probably be to our advantage.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I think he said before the game. Not sure what's going on here lol

He claimed And right at kickoff the band becomes more intense dropping another 8 inches from 1pm to 4 pm.

The chart actually shows 2.6" during the game

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

There’s already a game in the evening on Monday. It’s MLK Day and many people have the day off….and anyone traveling to and from Pittsburgh or anywhere would prefer the game be in the middle of the day. All of this is just too obvious and logical. 

• Like (+1) 1

He claimed And right at kickoff the band becomes more intense dropping another 8 inches from 1pm to 4 pm.

The chart actually shows 2.6" during the game

Is the chart for the airport or for OP?  (I agree with you that it was read incorrectly.). I ask because there typically is significant variance between accumulation in the Southtowns and the airport. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Is the chart for the airport or for OP?  (I agree with you that it was read incorrectly.). I ask because there typically is significant variance between accumulation in the Southtowns and the airport. 

Orchard Park

When's the latest the NFL can realistically reschedule the game?

Depends what you mean by reschedule.  If it’s move it to a different city, they probably can do it as late as tonight if it’s going to Detroit.  It gets dicier if done tomorrow morning.  If it’s not relocating, but simply changing the date and time of the game, I don’t see any reason why that cant be accomplished tomorrow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.