Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I see the Washington organization hired the assistant GM of the 49ers expect a Kyle Shannahan disciple to get the job then… I’d be looking at Brian Griese the 49ers QB coach very closely cause of his work with Brock Purdy 

I think Houston's OC who came from the 49ers be a better pick than Griese. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Yeah the best situation purely by personnel, ownership, and pick to join to me is Atlanta. The Commanders don't have the personnel but the pick and ability to build your own thing is intriguing too. This ownership is probably a lot better than Snyder too. 

I want to see Ben Johnson in Atlanta. The weapons they have is kind of a starting block of what he has in Detroit. Would love to see him actually USE Kyle Pitts.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I want to see Ben Johnson in Atlanta. The weapons they have is kind of a starting block of what he has in Detroit. Would love to see him actually USE Kyle Pitts.

That would be an excellent fit. If he can find a decent QB, that roster in Atlanta is loaded 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

I can't see Bill going to Dallas. He and Jerry would be like mixing gasoline and fire. Jerry's ego is bigger than the size of Texas. I can't imagine Bill would want him meddling on the football side of things as he would want to do things his own way. 

Sounds a lot like Bill Parcells to me.  A guy that would never put up with Jerry's antics and meddling.

Oh wait.

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The problem with the Atlanta job is how do you get a QB? You are picking 8th. Fair chance three are gone before then. You could swing a big trade up but you might not be the only team in the bidding for that. Or you could go for a vet who might spring free - Kirk Cousins possibly? But then you will both probably not be in contention to win a Superbowl and never be in position to try and draft your guy again. 

But certainly in Pitts, Bijan and to an extent London (although I am not as high on him as some I think he is kind of a 1B, very high end #2 rather than an out and out #1 receiver) they have some pieces there and a pretty solid oline. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem with the Atlanta job is how do you get a QB? You are picking 8th. Fair chance three are gone before then. You could swing a big trade up but you might not be the only team in the bidding for that. Or you could go for a vet who might spring free - Kirk Cousins possibly? But then you will both probably not be in contention to win a Superbowl and never be in position to try and draft your guy again. 

But certainly in Pitts, Bijan and to an extent London (although I am not as high on him as some I think he is kind of a 1B, very high end #2 rather than an out and out #1 receiver) they have some pieces there and a pretty solid oline. 

I would imagine in this scenario you have to go big for the QB. If that means a big trade and an over pay you have to do it. Unless there is one of the "other guys" in the draft that they feel is a fit and can grow.

As far as vets, Russ Wilson should be available but I don't like the fit. Maybe Justin Fields. I'm not high on him but in that division he may be the second best QB if the Buccaneers bring back Mayfield. Other than that you have the usual suspects as bridge guys (Jimmy G, Brissett, Minshew ect) and that's just a wasted year. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I would imagine in this scenario you have to go big for the QB. If that means a big trade and an over pay you have to do it. Unless there is one of the "other guys" in the draft that they feel is a fit and can grow.

As far as vets, Russ Wilson should be available but I don't like the fit. Maybe Justin Fields. I'm not high on him but in that division he may be the second best QB if the Buccaneers bring back Mayfield. Other than that you have the usual suspects as bridge guys (Jimmy G, Brissett, Minshew ect) and that's just a wasted year. 

Fields there intruiges me. I thought they should have drafted him tbh. Not sure he would be a Ben Johnson fit though. I think he needs to play in the kind of scheme they just binned.... 

There are ways I think ATL is the best job on the market. And other ways I think it is the worst.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a QB will be where ATL drafts without reaching.  They could also acquire Fields. Then there will be other vets out there Russell, Tannehill, Garapolo. 

I see Vikings keeping Cousins. He was injured most of this year. They don’t have a young understudy yet.  Thry are a team who could draft a QB where they are but have that QB sit for 1-2 years

Penix is one who could go in that 10-20 range.

Edited by djp14150

It feels strange to say this, but Washington is the best of the current openings. They have a new owner who understands that they need a full rebuild and the draft capital to do it. No one expects to win next year, so a coach has some runway to implement their culture and system. Carolina is a complete mess and the other owners want to win right now.

I think L. Frazier would be a good choice for Carolina.  He could settle things down, instill a professional culture and begin a rebuild.   They will be bad again next year and then will get a shot at a qb.

2 years of Frazier would be a good thing for Carolina.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t think there’s much of any appeal to having Leslie as your HC. 

Agreed. Kind of like putting in Lovie Smith for a year in Houston. Lame duck coach just trying to change a culture for the next guy.

20 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think L. Frazier would be a good choice for Carolina.  He could settle things down, instill a professional culture and begin a rebuild.   They will be bad again next year and then will get a shot at a qb.

Imagine Tepper laying into poor Leslie ..

Leslie would need to sit him down ..

• Simon unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, djp14150 said:

I think a QB will be where ATL drafts without reaching.  They could also acquire Fields. Then there will be other vets out there Russell, Tannehill, Garapolo. 

I see Vikings keeping Cousins. He was injured most of this year. They don’t have a young understudy yet.  Thry are a team who could draft a QB where they are but have that QB sit for 1-2 years

Penix is one who could go in that 10-20 range.

A QB, maybe. But possible he is the 4th one off the board.

57 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Except they have to develop Bryce Young and can't see Frazier finding someone who could considering how well he developed Christian Ponder.

9 hours ago, CNYfan said:

No for Carolina will fire head coach and try with someone else.  No patience,

8 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Except they have to develop Bryce Young and can't see Frazier finding someone who could considering how well he developed Christian Ponder.

Frazier would not be one developing him.  You can say Frazier would not pick the right person to develop Christian Ponder.

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well, they’ll probably have about 35-45 million in cap space. I think they draft someone like Daniels or Penix with their first and throw a lot of money at Tee Higgins to come in and be their #1. They would do well to get a talented vet to help acclimate a rookie QB. I also think they target a vet O-Lineman or Edge.

Atlanta has a lot of talent wasting away, they just need a coach who can actually do something with them. Ben Johnson is most qualified but aside from Vrabel he will have his pick (Unless the Hoodie decides to coach someplace new too)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.