Von Miller: Bills made “right decision” to sit me

Einstein

]]

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Take the couple weeks off, get right for the playoffs.  That's what we signed you for.

No.  He's cooked this year and may never be back.  He's a liability in run protection and Lawson/Jonathan are better options at this point.  The Bills best hope is for him to get back to maybe 80% of what he used to be next year as the contract is unforgiving until after next season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

]]

No.  He's cooked this year and may never be back.  He's a liability in run protection and Lawson/Jonathan are better options at this point.  The Bills best hope is for him to get back to maybe 80% of what he used to be next year as the contract is unforgiving until after next season.

Excluding this season, if you look at his avg sacks per year since entering the league x.8, we’re looking around 8 sacks next year. 

All things considered, I’d take that. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Excluding this season, if you look at his avg sacks per year since entering the league x.8, we’re looking around 8 sacks next year. 

All things considered, I’d take that. 

Sack statistics can be misleading unless they're combined with QB pressures.  I wish the stat was commonly displayed as  (e.g.) sacks/pressures: 8/22.

In  my opinion, that would be a better measure of a defenders impact on passing plays. There are a lot of DEs who force QBs into scrambling, throwing INTs, and incompletions. Depending on the mobility of the QBs they face in a given season, the defender may not get a high number of sacks, even if he's contributing to plays that force punts. Sacks are an impressive stat, but only tell part of the story.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Good for Von holding himself accountable and saying the right thing to the media. I still have hope IF the Bills make a run he turns it on for a game or two and makes a couple big plays. 

His mind says yes, body says no.

I’m afraid “that” Von is done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Good on Von for being a team guy and not your typical star athlete prima donna.  Now, obviously, the question is whether he ever gets back to playing at that standard.  Will a switch suddenly flip or is the explosiveness gone?

I’ll be very surprised if he is active Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

His mind says yes, body says no.

I’m afraid “that” Von is done. 

Respectfully disagree, it’s the mind that usually holds the person back in instances like this. Physically the knee is repaired and ready to go, mentally he doesn’t trust it yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Sack statistics can be misleading unless they're combined with QB pressures.  I wish the stat was commonly displayed as  (e.g.) sacks/pressures: 8/22.

In  my opinion, that would be a better measure of a defenders impact on passing plays. There are a lot of DEs who force QBs into scrambling, throwing INTs, and incompletions. Depending on the mobility of the QBs they face in a given season, the defender may not get a high number of sacks, even if he's contributing to plays that force punts. Sacks are an impressive stat, but only tell part of the story.

im in agreement with you. To be devils advocate, pressures also aren’t a complete picture as well. It is true a pressure could result in a throw away, turnover or incompletion. It is also true that pressures can result in scrambles, completions or even scores. 

Part of the reason I believe people cling to sack statistics is because the data reflects a finite ending to the play. 

ESPN now uses the statistic pass rush win rate to show how well a player is performing. I like this because it offers other context along with it, such as the percentage of times a player is being double teamed, or how many rush snaps they’ve taken.

I do think there is a better means to represent impact of pass rushers. That being said, I was only trying to add some context to what 80% of Von could eventually materialize into if we’re so lucky to see him return to that form.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

im in agreement with you. To be devils advocate, pressures also aren’t a complete picture as well. It is true a pressure could result in a throw away, turnover or incompletion. It is also true that pressures can result in scrambles, completions or even scores. 

Part of the reason I believe people cling to sack statistics is because the data reflects a finite ending to the play. 

ESPN now uses the statistic pass rush win rate to show how well a player is performing. I like this because it offers other context along with it, such as the percentage of times a player is being double teamed, or how many rush snaps they’ve taken.

I do think there is a better means to represent impact of pass rushers. That being said, I was only trying to add some context to what 80% of Von could eventually materialize into if we’re so lucky to see him return to that form.

Agree on PRWR. I’ll add that another impact of a pass rusher winning quickly is that it will force an offense to scheme quick throws. That makes life on the secondary a lot easier. That results in short throws, interceptions and incompletions, but not sacks. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Respectfully disagree, it’s the mind that usually holds the person back in instances like this. Physically the knee is repaired and ready to go, mentally he doesn’t trust it yet. 

I believe this contributes as well. My phrasing was incorrect. This coupled with his age will be difficult to overcome. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He's the most positive person I've ever seen and he returned back to form fairly quickly the last time he tore the same ACL.  I don't worry about his mental state.  I think tearing the same ACL, age, and maybe more damage/complications compared to the first time he injured it is why he's a shell of his former self this year.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Hope he can do something useful next year.

The sad part is he was everything we hoped for before he tore his ACL.  We don't win @Chiefs or @Ravens without him.  He also sacked Cousins to force that insane 4th and 18 Jefferson catch.  He was something special to watch and it's a darn shame as he could've gone down as one of the best signings in Bills history.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.