Anyone else have a good feeling about the Titans vs. Jags?

JMM

I want Jacksonville to win because I want the Bills to HAVE to play for the 2nd seed like their playoff lives depend on it.  If they can't win tonight, what makes anyone think the would go far in the playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed after blowing 2nd seed?  I want the Bills to know it's do or die and play like there's no tomorrow because every game will be do or die the rest of the post season. Toughen them up with a must win mindset entering the game tonight. 

• Eyeroll 2

Vrabels press conference give us a chance.  

I haven’t read this thread, is his PC from Thursday linked in the thread?  It made me lol and now I like him a lot more than I did

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I want Jacksonville to win because I want the Bills to HAVE to play for the 2nd seed like their playoff lives depend on it.  If they can't win tonight, what makes anyone think the would go far in the playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed after blowing 2nd seed?  I want the Bills to know it's do or die and play like there's no tomorrow because every game will be do or die the rest of the post season. Toughen them up with a must win mindset entering the game tonight. 

It's ridiculous if we can't beat Miami out for the division given that our offense was essentially injury-free this season given our roster.  How many times is that going to happen.  Factor in Cook's play, our vastly improved OL, and it's not good that we haven't clinched the division by now.  

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's ridiculous if we can't beat Miami out for the division given that our offense was essentially injury-free this season given our roster.  How many times is that going to happen.  Factor in Cook's play, our vastly improved OL, and it's not good that we haven't clinched the division by now.  

Still disagree. It is not good that we haven't clinched the playoffs by now. But the reason the division is still in play today is that Miami has been good. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Still disagree. It is not good that we haven't clinched the playoffs by now. But the reason the division is still in play today is that Miami has been good. 

Who cares what Miami is, we're 10-6 and should be better than that.  

Miami is not a better team than we are.

And this discussion is hardly complete without that comparison of injuries to both teams' offensive players.  

How many seasons are we going to get through with zero significant injuries on offense?  None is a safe wager.  

Edited by PBF81

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The only way I see them winning is if Lawrence is more injured than he’s letting on 

Apart from Miami who a lot of people are down on for not beating good teams, the Titans have beaten four other teams wit a combined record of 22-42.  

If w have to rely on 2017 type luck ...

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Who cares what Miami is, we're 10-6 and should be better than that.  

Miami is not a better team than we are.

And this discussion is hardly complete without that comparison of injuries to both teams' offensive players.  

How many seasons are we going to get through with zero significant injuries on offense?  None is a safe wager.  

No they are not. But they are an 11 win team going into week 18. So the Bills would have to have been a 13 win team going into week 18 with the potential to be a 14 win team for there to be no possibility the division is in play today. And I have already explained why I don't look at this roster and see a 14 win team this year. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No they are not. But they are an 11 win team going into week 18. So the Bills would have to have been a 13 win team going into week 18 with the potential to be a 14 win team for there to be no possibility the division is in play today. And I have already explained why I don't look at this roster and see a 14 win team this year. 

Great, agree to disagree then.  But honestly, if McD can't do significantly better than three of our teams with 9-7 records during our drought era, with WBs half, at best,, of what allen is, ...

🙂

9 minutes ago, Strethor said:

TLaw plays horrible when listed on the injury report. 

Tennessee has no incentive to win.

They do have disincentive though.  

Just sayin'.  

Edited by PBF81

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Tennessee has no incentive too win.

They do have disincentive though.  

Just sayin'.  

I don't see Mike Vrabel coaching like that. I think Jacksonville will win. But I don't think it will be any lack of effort on TEN's part. They will give them everything they have. They just are not very good.

The good thing about the way this lines up today is that the Bills will absolutely know what they need to do long before kickoff tonight. It could be like the drought ending season where they were finished and had to pray the Bengals pulled off a miracle an hour or so later. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see Mike Vrabel coaching like that. I think Jacksonville will win. But I don't think it will be any lack of effort on TEN's part. They will give them everything they have. They just are not very good.

Like you said, they're not very good, all they have to do is come in not caring.  

Beathard played well enough against Carolina as well.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Like you said, they're not very good, all they have to do is come in not caring.  

Yea I think they will care. I just think they are bad. I expect a close first half and Jacksonville pull away just enough in the second. 26-16 something like that. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think they will care. I just think they are bad. I expect a close first half and Jacksonville pull away just enough in the second. 26-16 something like that. 

We'll find out soon.  🙂

49 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You should never have this mindset. Rooting against your team to make it so that we can get a higher draft pick because "'the odds of us going on the road and doing anything isn't good". You have to get in to make it happen and I would still gladly take the 7 seed to make that happen. Wanting another team to win that would eliminate us with a loss is just flat out stupid 

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Jax is a far more talented squad, but I’d be shocked if Vrabel doesn’t have his squad ready and playing hard

The Bills have a more talented squad than the Jets sans Rodgers, the Pats, the Broncos, the Giants, the Chargers without Herbert and Allen... and either lost or scraped through every game (Jets at home aside).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

You should never have this mindset. Rooting against your team to make it so that we can get a higher draft pick because "'the odds of us going on the road and doing anything isn't good". You have to get in to make it happen and I would still gladly take the 7 seed to make that happen. Wanting another team to win that would eliminate us with a loss is just flat out stupid 

I agree but I do sorta see the logic. If the Bills can't beat Miami tonight with Waddle and Mostart sitting how are they beating them in Miami next week with both of them back? I know any given Sunday and all but feels like that stage they would be a bit wing and a prayer. I'd still rather be in than not. But I understand the thinking that if we can't win tonight it is better to try and pick 19th or 20th in the draft than 22nd or 23rd. Especially with where that second tier of receivers (after Harrison who is alone in tier 1) - Nabers, Odunze, Coleman - might come off the board. 

I know there are some people who don't even want to think draft yet, and that is fine. But it is the time of year when my mind turns to it regardless of whether the Bills are in or out.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I agree but I do sorta see the logic. If the Bills can't beat Miami tonight with Waddle and Mostart sitting how are they beating them in Miami next week with both of them back? I know any given Sunday and all but feels like that stage they would be a bit wing and a prayer. I'd still rather be in than not. But I understand the thinking that if we can't win tonight it is better to try and pick 19th or 20th in the draft than 22nd or 23rd. Especially with where that second tier of receivers (after Harrison who is alone in tier 1) - Nabers, Odunze, Coleman - might come off the board. 

I know there are some people who don't even want to think draft yet, and that is fine. But it is the time of year when my mind turns to it regardless of whether the Bills are in or out.

I really don't care. Get in and go from there. The other logic makes no sense whatsoever and is stupid

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I really don't care. Get in and go from there. The other logic makes no sense whatsoever and is stupid

The other logic is preparing to cope. I have family who told me in October that the Bills can't make the playoffs, can't win the divisions, can't win against Dallas. It is preparing to deal with disappointment. It is annoying but comes from an honest place. I am simply smarter than them and don't engage much 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's like coach always used to say "YOU PLAY TO WIN...A BETTER DRAFT PICK!" :beer:

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

The other logic is preparing to cope. I have family who told me in October that the Bills can't make the playoffs, can't win the divisions, can't win against Dallas. It is preparing to deal with disappointment. It is annoying but comes from an honest place. I am simply smarter than them and don't engage much 

The other logic simply makes no sense. So, if we got in as the 7th seed, is their mindset gonna be "I'm rooting against us today because we probably aren't winning 3 playoff road games. Might as well lose and get the better pick"? It's stupid. You should never call yourself a fan if that's your thinking

Edited by Buffalo03

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but I do sorta see the logic. If the Bills can't beat Miami tonight with Waddle and Mostart sitting how are they beating them in Miami next week with both of them back?

Any Given Sunday. :beer: 

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am not sure it is preparing to cope in this instance so much as it is playing the odds and saying if you can't beat a weakened Miami what are the chances you beat a stronger version next week? And then genuinely that few spots in the draft order might be the difference between being in position for that playmaking receiver we all think we need or not. 

Again, I'd rather be in and say even if the odds are against us take our shot. But I don't agree that the alternative reasoning is stupid. I see where those people are coming from. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Yes but Carolina does not belong in the NFL.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Yes but Carolina does not belong in the NFL.

LOL, no doubt, but still, Tennessee's not too far off of that baseline either.  Again, other than for Miami, the other four teams that they've beaten are unimpressive and a combined 22-44.  

Also, what are they playing for?  Nothing besides spoiler perhaps.  

On the flip side, it could be the difference between the 5th and 7th overall picks in the Draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, no doubt, but still, Tennessee's not too far off of that baseline either.  Again, other than for Miami, the other four teams that they've beaten are unimpressive and a combined 22-44.  

Also, what are they playing for?  Nothing besides spoiler perhaps.  

On the flip side, it could be the difference between the 5th and 7th overall picks in the Draft.  

Maybe Vrabel will have a little more pride than Harbaugh and go down swinging against a hated division rival? Thats all I got 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

BTW, the perspective that I'm looking at that argument from is one of diminished offensive production, down from the last three seasons since Allen's become elite.  

Through 16-game comps, we're down Yards-per-Play, Total Yards, Scoring, 1st-Down generation, and more.  

Yet, we have the best OL we've had in years, arguably since the Levy days.  

We have Allen now in his fourth season as an elite QB.  

We have Cook playing at a level that matches Shady's performance in his best season here in terms of workload and yardage, and RB production otherwise not seen on McD's watch. 

As mentioned, we haven't had a single injury to our starting OL, which is beyond remarkable, and therefore incalculable chemistry.  Our five OL-men lead the team in snap percentages, individually.  

We have Shakir in his second season to join Diggs & Davis who contributed to the prior year totals, and we added arguably the most prolific pass-catching TE in the Draft who's posting, albeit an less-could-be, yet exceptional season.  Cook is an outstanding receiving RB as well. 

The schedule certainly hasn't been difficult from an offensive standpoint, averaging 18th with teams that we've played ranking 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 16th (twice), 17th (twice), 21st, 22nd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 32nd.  We had no trouble lighting up the 5th and 7th.  

Miami has the 22nd ranked Scoring D, and given our history of domination against them 

I'm having difficulty reconciling why our offense can't outperform the offenses from the past three seasons, or at least match them.  Our YPP should be at 6.5, not 5.7.  Miami's is at 6.5 and we had 6.1 in '20 and '22.  

Either way, we have more this season, not less on offense, and our offense can't even match our overall performances of the past three seasons.  It's bewildering.  

I'm not sure, given how we pour resources into our D, and given our free-agent departures this coming season, that we'll ever have a more favorable path to 14-3.   

An injury-free OL is all but a fantasy.  

Again, having difficulty envisioning any rational and reasonable excuses for the above.  And if we had improved as we could have, if not should have, won the 6 games that we lost by 5, 4, 6, and 2 points respectively, with two other games needlessly going to OT.  

Even splitting those we'd be at 13-3.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, the perspective that I'm looking at that argument from is one of diminished offensive production, down from the last three seasons since Allen's become elite.  

Through 16-game comps, we're down Yards-per-Play, Total Yards, Scoring, 1st-Down generation, and more.  

Yet, we have the best OL we've had in years, arguably since the Levy days.  

We have Allen now in his fourth season as an elite QB.  

We have Cook playing at a level that matches Shady's performance in his best season here in terms of workload and yardage, and RB production otherwise not seen on McD's watch. 

As mentioned, we haven't had a single injury to our starting OL, which is beyond remarkable, and therefore incalculable chemistry.  Our five OL-men lead the team in snap percentages, individually.  

We have Shakir in his second season to join Diggs & Davis who contributed to the prior year totals, and we added arguably the most prolific pass-catching TE in the Draft who's posting, albeit an less-could-be, yet exceptional season.  Cook is an outstanding receiving RB as well. 

The schedule certainly hasn't been difficult from an offensive standpoint, averaging 18th with teams that we've played ranking 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 16th (twice), 17th (twice), 21st, 22nd, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, and 32nd.  We had no trouble lighting up the 5th and 7th.  

Miami has the 22nd ranked Scoring D, and given our history of domination against them 

I'm having difficulty reconciling why our offense can't outperform the offenses from the past three seasons, or at least match them.  Our YPP should be at 6.5, not 5.7.  Miami's is at 6.5 and we had 6.1 in '20 and '22.  

Either way, we have more this season, not less on offense, and our offense can't even match our overall performances of the past three seasons.  It's bewildering.  

I'm not sure, given how we pour resources into our D, and given our free-agent departures this coming season, that we'll ever have a more favorable path to 14-3.   

An injury-free OL is all but a fantasy.  

Again, having difficulty envisioning any rational and reasonable excuses for the above.  And if we had improved as we could have, if not should have, won the 6 games that we lost by 5, 4, 6, and 2 points respectively, with two other games needlessly going to OT.  

Even splitting those we'd be at 13-3.  

I think the offense has underperformed. No question. The fact the Bills made an OC change is further demonstration of that. 

Bad playcalling. Drops. Turnovers. And some inconsistent Quarterbacking. It is all in the mix as to the reason why. There is no one single reason.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Maybe Vrabel will have a little more pride than Harbaugh and go down swinging against a hated division rival? Thats all I got 

Be that as it may, he's at bat and swinging with a 28th ranked offense, an OL that's ranked DFL now according to PFF, and a washed-up 35-year old QB playing his last game for them and that was never better than average to begin with.  

We'll see how it plays out.  

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the offense has underperformed. No question. The fact the Bills made an OC change is further demonstration of that. 

Bad playcalling. Drops. Turnovers. And some inconsistent Quarterbacking. It is all in the mix as to the reason why. There is no one single reason.

Well, OK, but given that, and given the narrow margins that we've lost games by, including as mentioned two games going to OT, where if we had simply scored one more point at any time, we'd have won, in the mind of many anyway it's not a stretch in any way that we could or even should be 13-3 if not at least 12-4 at this point.  

You view it differently, but your statements don't seem to back your viewpoint other than via text, i.e. in light of your admission of an underperforming offense.  

The question is why is our offense underperforming, and that we vehemently disagree on.  :) 

There are no good or valid reasons.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.