The Tua Dilemma...

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

They have to pay him.  They don't really have options.

This could likely play out as Lamar did, they'll end up signing him, and then we'll hear how wonderful it was that the Dolphins built the best defense in the league while Tua basically plays Dilfer-ball to win 14 games.

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Isn’t that true for all QB’s?

Josh Allen doesn't have "elite playmakers".........has he been "nothing" this season?

It hasn't been pretty and it's taken a toll on his body........but he's still willed himself to be a fringe MVP candidate and leads the NFL in TD's.

Fortunately I’d McDaniel is retained I feel you can plug and play some veteran

hate to see cousins in there to be honest

i think Tua is ok but he’s proven to not be able to put it all on his back and be that franchise guy

his weapons go away and so does he 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I get what you’re saying (you will marry the ugly bride because you see no beautiful women on your horizon), but football teams always have the option to not do something stupid.

The Giants had the option to not sign Daniel Jones. Browns had the option to not trade for Deshaun Watson. etc.

I would rather enter the unknown than be chained to an mediocre guy.

Sure, they have a choice. They can roll with White or some other journeyman and hope to be bad enough to draft another QB and hope that QB isn't a bust.  Most teams won't do that because the fans can't handle that.

49 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

This could likely play out as Lamar did, they'll end up signing him, and then we'll hear how wonderful it was that the Dolphins built the best defense in the league while Tua basically plays Dilfer-ball to win 14 games.

Unless Miami plays in the Super Bowl, I think it will play out similar to Daniel Jones.  He’ll get a new deal around $40-$45M - enough to put him in the Top 10 for the moment.  But I also think they’ll also level room for a potential out.  

If Miami plays in the SB I can see him getting a Hurts like deal

51 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

It could.  I think Tua is good but isn't elite.  He isn't going to carry a team.  His team will need lots of help.  Hard to do that with cap space and paying him though.  People talk about windows.  Josh Allen always has a window.  Pat Mahomes always has a window. They are elite.  Miami's window is now. They are essentially all in now.

To win a Super Bowl, a QB eventually has to be able to make something happen even when other things around him are not working. It's bound to happen somewhere along the way in the playoffs. I've never once seen that ability from Tua. He could probably win a Super Bowl on the 49ers but that's a once in a generation superstar offense. Lately Tua has had trouble putting up more than 20 points despite having Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and a very strong RB duo. It isn't gonna get any better than that. He's also shown to be a fragile player. I think they will pay him because they'll feel like they have no choice but IMO Tua is the definition of QB purgatory.

It's really interesting with Tua because while I believe he is in the upper class of QBs he feels limited. Miami has to pay him - Herbert/Burrow pushed the bar up now people like Hurts/Tua will get contracts punching above their weightclass. 

5 hours ago, Beast said:

You just gave out the super secret recipe for success on offense. If it was only so easy.

It's not, but Shanahan and McDaniel are the first ones to make it look easy. They shouldn't waste their money on Tua....or Purdy for that matter.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The Fins are gaining an NFL-best 409.2 yards per game.  Why would you eff with that?

If you work in the restaurant business and have a smash-hit recipe, you don't suddenly change out one of the key ingredients.  

That ingredient works because of the other one - Hill. 

Dolphins will pay him and be happy about it. 

My concern last year (for Tua the person) was that he doesn't do a good job protecting his falls. But this season, he has indeed done that. If he continues to be healthy, he will be in the top-10 every season. But they really need to keep Hill else it falls apart (even with Waddle on the team). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok so you are saying Tua is as good as Patrick Mahomes?    Your ignorance is duly noted. 

When did I say that? Oh, that’s right. I didn’t. Not even sure why you pulled that statement out of your ass.

You just don’t like push back on your silly little narrative.

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

When did I say that? Oh, that’s right. I didn’t. Not even sure why you pulled that statement out of your ass.

You just don’t like push back on your silly little narrative.

Oh you don't like it when you get a taste of your own medicine, do you?:lol:   Classic.

What about me saying that Tua NEEDS elite playmakers to be anything above replacement level.....ie "nothing"........ have to do with Josh Allen not needing more receiving help to reach his ceiling with his much higher floor.    And possibly extend his career etc..

The answer is nothing........they aren't related. 

There are QB's you "build" around like Mahomes and Allen.........and then there are QB's you have to "put" around a foundation of elite playmakers to elevate them above their lower floor/potential.    Tua is certainly the latter.

There was a time when he offered more of an all-around game as a prospect at Alabama..........but the leg and hip injuries........followed by the concussions and need to avoid contact.......have turned him into a QB with significant limitations and durability concerns.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Eyeroll 1

Tua is fat, if we can all call out our own players for their lack of athletic physique then anyone is fair game.

Watching the latest hard knocks episode it’s pretty obvious he’s eating too much and obviously not working it off. 

Please baby Jesus pay this man.

11 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Dak is similar to Kirk Cousins, great stats but he doesn't take his team further. To me that's not a guy you want to keep long term. Move on. 

All well and good to say then you ask, "move on to who?"

Washington is still trying to find a Kirk Cousins replacement lol.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

To win a Super Bowl, a QB eventually has to be able to make something happen even when other things around him are not working. It's bound to happen somewhere along the way in the playoffs. I've never once seen that ability from Tua. He could probably win a Super Bowl on the 49ers but that's a once in a generation superstar offense. Lately Tua has had trouble putting up more than 20 points despite having Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and a very strong RB duo. It isn't gonna get any better than that. He's also shown to be a fragile player. I think they will pay him because they'll feel like they have no choice but IMO Tua is the definition of QB purgatory.

This is very funny to read when the corpse of Peyton Manning and Trent Dilfer have won Superbowls.

Trent won a Superbowl when his defense allowed 3, 10, 3 and 7 points.

And sure, different era.

Peyton won in 2015 after being replaced by Brock Osweiler because he was so ineffective. He threw 9 TD's to 17 picks in the regular season.

He threw for 500 yards over 3 games and only 2 TDs in the postseason.

I agree that a special QB helps tremendously, but there are different ways to skin that cat.

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh you don't like it when you get a taste of your own medicine, do you?:lol:   Classic.

What about me saying that Tua NEEDS elite playmakers to be anything above replacement level.....ie "nothing"........ have to do with Josh Allen not needing more receiving help to reach his ceiling with his much higher floor.    And possibly extend his career etc..

The answer is nothing........they aren't related. 

There are QB's you "build" around like Mahomes and Allen.........and then there are QB's you have to "put" around a foundation of elite playmakers to elevate them above their lower floor/potential.    Tua is certainly the latter.

There was a time when he offered more of an all-around game as a prospect at Alabama..........but the leg and hip injuries........followed by the concussions and need to avoid contact.......have turned him into a QB with significant limitations and durability concerns.

The above is all true.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2024 at 6:58 AM, The Jokeman said:

The Cowboys have Trey Lance on his rookie deal. I wouldn't be shocked if they move on from Dak tbh. 

Oh please, that like saying the Bills have another Allen at back-up, they are good to let Josh go.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.