Double dip at receiver?

whorlnut

On 1/5/2024 at 4:05 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

This team could literally be one of the most exciting ever if the Bills find a way to add 2 legit starting rookie WR’s to the offense through the draft.

This class is loaded and handfulls of rookie WR’s are making immediate impacts in the NFL these days.

I like to imagine an offense in 2024:

Diggs

Round 1 WR - Dynamic threat

Shakir

Round 2 WR - Reliable Hands

And Kincaid and Knox and Cook.  Only one ball.  

I’m just sayin, don’t be disappointed when we don’t use our first 2 picks on WR.  We have other needs as well

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m just sayin, don’t be disappointed when we don’t use our first 2 picks on WR.  We have other needs as well

First 2 picks back to back? No, that won't happen. Too many needs, as you stated. But there needs to be one in Round 1 or Round 2 (preferably Round 1) and 1 more between Rounds 3 and 7.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

That's ok...I'm all but convinced we'll use one of our first 2 picks on a wr.  Then draft one later.  Find a Nacua in the 5th?

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's ok...I'm all but convinced we'll use one of our first 2 picks on a wr.  Then draft one later.  Find a Nacua in the 5th?

Yea, definitely one early. Then I suspect one of our 107 6th round picks. 

• Agree 2

That is not going to happen. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if he does not draft a WR in the first. I think we need to address the Following positions: S, WR, G, LB, CB, DE, RB

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Puka Nacua was drafted in the 5th, so let's just hope to hit the lottery like the Rams did!

Was Shorter drafted before Puka? If so, Shorter better be better than him. Otherwise, Beane missed on this opportunity really badly.

Edited by Cubanmist 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 1/6/2024 at 3:39 PM, Just in Atlanta said:

Rookie WRs take two years to develop generally.

Id prefer a veteran.

Not in todays nfl. This is a passing league and rookie WRs are making immediate impacts at a very high rate. 

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Puka Nacua was drafted in the 5th, so let's just hope to hit the lottery like the Rams did!

Can’t rely on that happening. Waiting till later in the draft is what got us receivers with limited skill sets. The more complete skill sets are drafted high. Yes…you will get someone that slips through and becomes a stud from time to time, but that’s not the norm and it would be reckless for the bills to continue to expect that to happen. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they need two in the first two days. 

I disagree with that. I think they need to come out of the first two rounds with one legit receiver prospect. I would take a second one somewhere but I don't think they need three top end stud receivers. If it falls where they have taken one round 1 and they get into round 3 and there is a guy there they shouldn't pass because they have already taken one. But that is different to needing two in the first two days. 

If the value for the second guy is there, go for it; if not, don't reach. Take a WR with the 1st (unless you really don't like what's left) and take a good second WR at value somewhere else.

We double-dipped with Rousseau and Basham in the same draft so I'm not opposed to it simply on principle but there has to be value. 

Nothing wrong with getting a 2nd WR in the 4th or wherever.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Feel like they should stack the cupboard considering Davis gone, Diggs a year older and everyone behind them suck minus Shakir who has emerged as a decent 4-5 option. 

Diggs, the right early pick rookie, Kincaid, Shakir, Knox, Cook. If you can't win with that you don't have a weapons problem IMO. 

Like I say if the draft falls where there is a receiver sticking out for them after they have taken one then by all means. But they don't need two. One receiver who plays outside and has game breaking speed is a need on this team. Another receiver isn't necessarily a stupid pick but it isn't a need. 

Their needs will be WR, DL and S.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, whorlnut said:

They set a precedent in 21 with Rousseau and Basham. They went into that offseason with the mindset they needed to “sack Mahomes”. They literally said it. I can’t imagine them not viewing receiver as the biggest need heading into this off-season. 

How did Basham work out ?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ve long held the opinion stacking the WR group is how you best maximize W’s for this team… I’ve said before, it’s no coincidence Allen’s best passing year and the regimes best season was 2020 when they had arguably a top 3 WR group…. That passing offense was terrific.

That is fine, that's your belief. But they would have a top pass catching group. As long as the 1st rookie you take works out. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Knox is not a good receiver and as dynamic as cook can be he’s still just a RB who doesn’t seem like a smart football player with a knack for fumble’s and drops…. I agree with your premise though, if they do pick another position they’ll justify it because of those guys even though WR is the most dire need and biggest determiner in the W/L column more than any other position for this team currently IMO.

But Knox WILL be on the field for 50% of our snaps at least.  

Everything you say about cook is true, but he WILL be on the field.  He WILL be our RB for the next 2 seasons.  He WILL be a valuable part of our offense and will get lots of snaps, carries and targets.  

If we get one legit WR1/2+ another Shakir in later rounds, we’re fine.  

It seems like those who are saying we must come away with 2 WRs in the first 2 days of the draft are either:  setting themselves up to whine and cry for another season, or are just unrealistic.  Look at our DL under contract. We play a heavy 8 man rotation and we currently have 3 men.  One of which doesn’t look very good atm.  

if we fire McD….maybe we draft 2 in the first 3 rds.  If McD is out coach-  there’s little chance of that happening imo.  Much better chance of drafting 2 DL in the first 2 days than 2 WRs

I think we'll definitely add a vet WR, on a cheaper deal. But yes, we need a WR in Round 1.

I also think we'll target Safety in FA. Another Beane reclamation project who was underutilized or miscast as a CB somewhere else, in the Poyer mold.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is fine, that's your belief. But they would have a top pass catching group. As long as the 1st rookie you take works out. 

What do you think about the Xavier’s??

Xavier  Leggette or Xavier Worthy, while different types of WR’s, both would really improve the WR room.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Diggs, the right early pick rookie, Kincaid, Shakir, Knox, Cook. If you can't win with that you don't have a weapons problem IMO. 

Like I say if the draft falls where there is a receiver sticking out for them after they have taken one then by all means. But they don't need two. One receiver who plays outside and has game breaking speed is a need on this team. Another receiver isn't necessarily a stupid pick but it isn't a need. 

Their needs will be WR, DL and S.

I think it depends on what kind of WR they draft in the 1st round... If they draft someone closer to Diggs skill set, I think vertical speed is still a big need and in that scenario I would take a WR with that skill set on day two. Last year I really liked Jalin Hyatt, I personally would have taken him with our 2nd round pick (although Torrence has looked mostly good so far). You could argue we have two needs at WR - someone that can be a true #2 outside WR with future #1 potential, and someone with game breaking speed. If we get all of that in one player I am good with that. But if it becomes necessary to take two different players, I would rather do that than leave one of those roles unfilled.

Truth be told I am hoping they make some kind of splash at WR in free agency so they aren't forced to reach for one or two in the draft. They might have missed that opportunity when they passed on Hopkins last year... But no excuses, they have to get the position right some way some how. Even if it comes at the expense of other areas on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Special K said:

What do you think about the Xavier’s??

Xavier  Leggette or Xavier Worthy, while different types of WR’s, both would really improve the WR room.

Yea like them both. I think Leggette is going to be a riser if he runs well. He is in my second tier at the moment. I think he fits my "will start as a #2 but with #1 receiver potential" category once he has mastered some of the nuances of the game in his release and just in how he uses that speed. I think Worthy is a bit more a complimentary player rather than someone I look two years on and say that is my best guy. I think his ceiling is like a good #1B. A guy who you can move around the formation, who can go deep on the outside but who you really want to use as a matchup piece. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think it depends on what kind of WR they draft in the 1st round... If they draft someone closer to Diggs skill set, I think vertical speed is still a big need and in that scenario I would take a WR with that skill set on day two. Last year I really liked Jalin Hyatt, I personally would have taken him with our 2nd round pick (although Torrence has looked mostly good so far). You could argue we have two needs at WR - someone that can be a true #2 outside WR with future #1 potential, and someone with game breaking speed. If we get all of that in one player I am good with that. But if it becomes necessary to take two different players, I would rather do that than leave one of those roles unfilled.

Truth be told I am hoping they make some kind of splash at WR in free agency so they aren't forced to reach for one or two in the draft. They might have missed that opportunity when they passed on Hopkins last year... But no excuses, they have to get the position right some way some how. Even if it comes at the expense of other areas on the team.

I agree they have to prioritise a receiver. I would have taken a shot on Hyatt too. At different times last year I thought Hyatt or Rashee Rice could make sense. Rice there is more your Diggs type, Hyatt your vertical speed guy. But I don't think two early receivers is a "need". That is my point. One certainly is.... or a FA / trade splash. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Can’t rely on that happening. Waiting till later in the draft is what got us receivers with limited skill sets. The more complete skill sets are drafted high. Yes…you will get someone that slips through and becomes a stud from time to time, but that’s not the norm and it would be reckless for the bills to continue to expect that to happen. 

While you're technically correct in that you're more likely to find a reliable #1 in the 1st or 2nd rounds, there are quite a few top WRs selected 3rd round or later. It's just that there are so many colleges, being able to thoroughly scout every individual is impossible.

At this point, targeting a specific skillset, regardless of what school they played at, may be key to hitting on a great WR. Not all of them will be immediate hits, but we shouldn't always expect that either.

5th Round - Tyreek Hill

5th Round - Stefon Diggs

5th Round - Puka Nacua

4th Round - Amon-Ra St. Brown

3rd Round - Keenan Allen

3rd Round - Terry McLaurin

3rd Round - Nico Collins

3rd Round - Chris Godwin

2nd Round - Michael Pittman Jr

2nd Round - Tee Higgins

2nd Round - Deebo Samuel

2nd Round - DK Melcalf

2nd Round - Davante Adams

2nd Round - AJ Brown

1st Round - Mike Evans

1st Round - Amari Cooper

1st Round - Deandre Hopkins

1st Round - Justin Jefferson

1st Round - DJ Moore

1st Round - Brandon Aiyuk

1st Round - CeeDee Lamb

1st Round - Ja'marr Chase

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

While you're technically correct in that you're more likely to find a reliable #1 in the 1st or 2nd rounds, there are quite a few top WRs selected 3rd round or later. It's just that there are so many colleges, being able to thoroughly scout every individual is impossible.

At this point, targeting a specific skillset, regardless of what school they played at, may be key to hitting on a great WR. Not all of them will be immediate hits, but we shouldn't always expect that either.

5th Round - Tyreek Hill

5th Round - Stefon Diggs

5th Round - Puka Nacua

4th Round - Amon-Ra St. Brown

3rd Round - Keenan Allen

3rd Round - Terry McLaurin

3rd Round - Nico Collins

3rd Round - Chris Godwin

2nd Round - Michael Pittman Jr

2nd Round - Tee Higgins

2nd Round - Deebo Samuel

2nd Round - DK Melcalf

2nd Round - Davante Adams

2nd Round - AJ Brown

1st Round - Mike Evans

1st Round - Amari Cooper

1st Round - Deandre Hopkins

1st Round - Justin Jefferson

1st Round - DJ Moore

1st Round - Brandon Aiyuk

1st Round - CeeDee Lamb

1st Round - Ja'marr Chase

There are also a LOT of WRs taken in the 1st round over the last 10 years that didnt make your list. 👍

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There are also a LOT of WRs taken in the 1st round over the last 10 years that didnt make your list. 👍

For sure, I was just looking up the top 20ish in receiving yards the past couple years & seeing where they were drafted (not including TEs).

But I'm sure if I go back further, there will be plenty of non-1st round guys popping up too. My thought is we could take a 1 guy early, but then wait until later to try our hand at another one (possibly from a smaller school but with all the physical attributes).

No need to go #1 & #2 back-to-back.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.