Need a capable backup quarterback next season.

margolbe

NFL Network is reporting that Josh is banged up after the last game.  Hopefully he will be good to go on Sunday.

But this raises a key issue -- do you want Kyle Allen starting a game?  Given the way Josh plays, its only a matter of time before he gets a injury that has him sitting on the sidelines for a while.

We all saw this year that a capable backup can take you pretty far.  We need to be in a better position next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, margolbe said:

NFL Network is reporting that Josh is banged up after the last game.  Hopefully he will be good to go on Sunday.

But this raises a key issue -- do you want Kyle Allen starting a game?  Given the way Josh plays, its only a matter of time before he gets a injury that has him sitting on the sidelines for a while.

We all saw this year that a capable backup can take you pretty far.  We need to be in a better position next year.

Pitch it to Josh, we're told that he makes the backup QB decisions.  😁

While he can and does get beat up in a way that affect his play.  Hes been available better than any of his peers.  Really insane the way he keeps going with the way he runs.  would love a better back up but it has to come via the draft as @mrags said cause we cant really afford a proven one.

5 minutes ago, margolbe said:

Define “capable backup”?  Who did you have in mind?

Do we know what Shane Buechele can do yet?  He has a skill set that includes some athletic ability to get out of trouble.  But yeah, we don't have a Minshew or Flacco sitting here.  I don't trust Kyle Allen much.

• Like (+1) 1

We don't know what we have in Kyle Allen. He has yet to throw a pass in a regular game situation. All he has done in his garbage time snaps is hand off to a rusher, or kneel down.

I do admit to being concerned of having to play him--my memories of his preseason games are pretty frightening. I bet if he threw in a regular season game that it would be a sphincter tightening experience.

Certainly having a proven, capable backup is desirable.  However, given our dire cap situation, & the desire to retain some quality FAs, I think it's a luxury we can't afford.  Or at least we need to put our resources to player(s) that are definitely going to contribute rather than likely sitting on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm curious as to what it is that people don't like about Kyle Allen?

He's started 16 NFL games, approximately one full season.

In that "season" he's thrown for about 4,000 yards with a completion percentage over 62%.

He's thrown 26 TDs to 21 INTs (with a small handful of rushing TDs)

That puts his career QB rating at 82.2, which is not bad and even seems fairly competent when you consider his starts have come for some very bad football teams. 

Could the Bills really get a lot better there and is it worth committing limited resources to try?

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Biggest game in multiple decades coming up on Sunday night and we are to discuss next year’s backup QB?  

This is a bigger game than the KC AFCCG? Interesting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I'm curious as to what it is that people don't like about Kyle Allen?

He's started 16 NFL games, approximately one full season.

In that "season" he's thrown for about 4,000 yards with a completion percentage over 62%.

He's thrown 26 TDs to 21 INTs (with a small handful of rushing TDs)

That puts his career QB rating at 82.2, which is not bad and even seems fairly competent when you consider his starts have come for some very bad football teams. 

Could the Bills really get a lot better there and is it worth committing limited resources to try?

Eh, Kyle Allen is more or less a known quantity and I sincerely doubt he'd have a QBR of >80 on this team.  To your point though, this is a zero sum game so they have to decide where they're going to go cheap and given that the dropoff from Allen to any realistic backup option, certainly makes more sense to invest elsewhere, i'd argue the OL & WR

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.