Does the Bills Fan Base Need to Cut Miller Some Slack?

Rich Stadium Original

1 hour ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

You will get little argument from me that Miller has not nearly shown anywhere near his past productivity, particularly with what the franchise is paying him. But I would argue that there is a lot more that we don't know about his injury/recovery than we do know:

a.) What was the severity of the original injury, and what is the usual recover time to full speed from such an injury? (A lot of his game is built on speed and quickness)

b.) How successful was the surgery, and have there been complications in the recovery limiting speed and agility?

c.) What are the doctors and trainers telling him now? How much pain and swelling  is he getting during repeated use?

d.) Are the Bills aware of his limitations, but putting him out on the field in certain situations just to draw extra attention?

I would assume he is a professional athlete with a desire to win, and not just taking plays of because he's afraid of getting hurt again.  If his physical condition was as bad as it may appear without hope for improvement, I would have thought the team would have shut him down on IR...We may never have the answers to a lot of these questions until the season is over.

This was an injury that takes 18+ months for 100% recovery.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

This was an injury that takes 18+ months for 100% recovery.

Awesome....so basically we lose him for a full season years 1 & 2....Maybe we get 1 good "full" season next year?

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

BUT he's OUR useless. That means something.  😏 

His contract and production so far has been useless. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Yes, he is only just over a year removed from serious injury and he has looked a little better the past 3 weeks. I don't think he will make much of an impact this season even if the Bills make the playoffs BUT the fact that he was a big part in convincing Floyd to come here on a team-friendly deal alone gives him a pass for this season as without Floyd the Bills defense would have been in more trouble. 

Better the past three weeks?  Really?  This past game was arguably his worst since his return. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Proof?  lol.  Yeah man, let me waste my time scouring every snap he’s taken this year.  You can believe whatever you want.  Idc

If you say so

I mean you're the 1 claiming he's getting doubled alot. Shouldn't be that hard when he's playing less than 50% of the snaps 

I'd love to see just 1 example.  And I'm not trying to talk down on Von, just saying,  I haven't seen it

Edited by JerseyBills

I don’t blame Beane for signing Von. It was a risk, worked in our favor for half a season then blew up in our faces. It happens.

I don’t blame Von for taking that contract. Who the hell wouldn’t?? 

I do blame McD for putting him out there as early as he did in the HOPE that he’d play himself into game shape and Old Von. I think McD is still holding out hope that he recovers enough to be an asset if we make the playoffs. I have my doubts.

I have yet to see Von double teamed. Not saying he hasn’t been, but in no way is he commanding anywhere close to the respect he used to.  He’s been taking snaps away from better players (Epenesa, Lawson, even Johnathan) in the hope that he will round into form. That’s a bold move Cotton.

I think best case scenario is he gives us a little something in the playoffs and comes back to form next year since we can’t get out of his contract.

I don’t care about his domestic case unless we can use it to get out of his contract, which isn’t going to happen. I know that will offend the legion of White Knights we have on this board but the reality is we all knew about his previous run ins and I don’t remember a strong protest against signing him for that reason. No one was pounding the table against Von because he had a couple of domestic incidents in the past so stop the hypocrisy. I’d rather he wasn’t a douchebag but his SO is refusing to cooperate with the cops so she’s obviously not taking a stand.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Awesome....so basically we lose him for a full season years 1 & 2....Maybe we get 1 good "full" season next year?

His contract and production so far has been useless. 

And what does this have to do with the thread?  

cmon guys…..did you really EXPECT him to come back and be old von 13 months after tearing his acl?  

Sure, I was hoping he’d be better than he’s been.  Several plays where he’s been the worst player on the field for sure.  But there’s been a handful of positive plays where he beat his man and affected the QB.

His contract doesn’t allow for us to cut him…. So what can we do?  Cry and whine about something that we can’t do anything about?  Sure, if you still have some growing up to do you can do that. Sorry, but mature adults would chalk it up as a likely loss and hope for the best.  

The guy got injured, he’s not purposely tanking his play.  He didn’t force Beane to draw up that contract. He just signed it.  Holding grudges against players for injuries and contracts is just ridiculous.  If you hate the contract, you should have beef with Beane.  If you hate the player because he got injured and isn’t the same player before the injury, you should have beef with yourself. 

Reading several of the replies, it looks as if several responders didn’t even take the time to read the OP.  Their posts have nothing to do with the topic.  It’s like they read the title, saw red thinking about how much they hate Von Miller and vented their disdain for the man.  

4 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

We acquired him and paid him to be our closer. Until he can offer that again, regardless of the scenarios, all criticisms and skepticisms are fair IMO. 

They are fair as long as they come with reasonable expectations.  

did you expect von to be great this season? 

I was hoping that he’d be better than he’s been, but I also realized there wasn’t likely.  In all likelihood, he was going to ramp up and improve over oct-dec and hopefully be able to contribute at a higher level come playoffs.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

did you expect von to be great this season? 

I was hoping that he’d be better than he’s been, but I also realized there wasn’t likely.  In all likelihood, he was going to ramp up and improve over oct-dec and hopefully be able to contribute at a higher level come playoffs.  

Personally, I thought and was not surprised by his slow start. I did expect a bit more by now, as you mention.

Generally speaking I think people funnel their frustration with his lack of production at him when in reality it’s emphasized by how much potential we hoped for and $$$ it has cost. 

No one is pissed at kingley jonathan for low production. Expectations were lower. With Miller they were always “Super Bowl or bust” in terms of how much his acquisition would be worth in retrospect. His injury never changed that, and I think down the road it’ll end up looking like a bigger gaff for Beane (although an unpredictable one) and people won’t hold so much undeserved anger towards the future HoFer

@Weatherman 🤣

You’re funny bro.  You make a ridiculous comment about mcdermott not being an NFL coach, get called out for it then are nowhere to be found.  Instead, you just fume and dislike every post I make.while contributing nothing to the thread.  Per usual.  Can’t blame you.  

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Personally, I thought and was not surprised by his slow start. I did expect a bit more by now, as you mention.

Generally speaking I think people funnel their frustration with his lack of production at him when in reality it’s emphasized by how much potential we hoped for and $$$ it has cost. 

No one is pissed at kingley jonathan for low production. Expectations were lower. With Miller they were always “Super Bowl or bust” in terms of how much his acquisition would be worth in retrospect. His injury never changed that, and I think down the road it’ll end up looking like a bigger gaff for Beane (although an unpredictable one) and people won’t hold so much undeserved anger towards the future HoFer

His injury should have changed the expectations of his play.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.