Broncos benching Wilson

Dablitzkrieg

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Fair points.  Agree completely on the impact of sacks - some coaches rate them as similar to a turnover.  But, I hadn't watched enough Broncos games to have a sense of whether Wilson was at fault or whether they were expecting him to operate behind scraps and turnstiles on OL.  

I had the impression, the latter, but there may well be designed hot reads Wilson isn't taking, as well - he certainly had a pattern as a Seattle QB of ignoring the hot read to try to extend plays and create.  (As Allen has done at times)

He does have 10 fumbles, only 5 fumbles lost FWIW.

The thing is, if they're going to bite the bullet, eat the massive dead cap next year, and move on from Wilson, What's the Plan at QB?  They've been a bit too successful to draft a QB high.  They still owe the Saints their 2nd round pick this year as part of the trade for Sean Payton so their maneuvering room in the draft will be limited.

At this point; and I do mean this seriously, Tyrod Taylor is superior to him in every way.  Not only that, he makes Tyrod look like a risk taker.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Considering the Broncos are very much alive for the playoffs they are basically making the decision to move from Wilson now.

Regardless I actually though he had a solid bounce back type of year and can't blame him for losing to the Patriots.

Very much alive? Not really. And as others have pointed out his numbers are pretty deceiving. Russ has definitely not passed the eyeball test this year.

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I saw where Payton was screaming at him on the sidelines. 

That had to be very embarrassing 

If you need to tear your player a new one do it in private

It seems that Russ is not a good fit for Payton's offense. Drew Brees on the other hand... 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very disappointed with all the Sean Payton antics this years right down to the throwing "our buddy" Nathanial Hackett under the bus (even though he deserved it).  Payton's ego is wildly out of control and it manifests itself in some very destructive counterproductive outcomes.  He is no longer a young wonderkid but an aging  angry old Head Coach.  He should have kept his TV gig.

Payton has a big ego for sure but I wouldn't dismiss him as a football coach. He inherited Russ and gave him virtually a whole season to grow into the system. Russ has gone 1-3 in the last 4 with the playoffs in sight. During their 6 game win streak Russ didn't play that well. It was really the improvement of the defense which was the story.

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Let Russ simmer

Let Russ stew.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It was one of my bold predictions before the season. Wilson is finished.

I thought so too. His act had worn out in Seattle and then last year's debacle with his personal trainer being in the building and high-stepping workouts in the airplane... When Payton took over you could clearly feel that Russ was on a short leash.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

They are only mostly dead

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Remember when they hired Sean Payton and he was going to do magic with a short QB in Russell Wilson just like he did with Drew Brees!!!

What a joke, set the Broncos back few years with nothing to show  for it,  Going to be the same Result for the Jets and no I dont think Rodgers will come back as some incredible QB at 40/41.

Signing Russ was a bad move by the organization and it was a contract that Payton inherited. Denver fans were wishful that Payton could salvage Russ' career but Payton never embraced that narrative. He was lukewarm about Russ from the start.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

He has had a much better year this year than last year 

Better? Yes. Much better? Well he was horrible last year.

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Wilson’s numbers are very deceiving. He has a sky-high 9.1 percent sack rate (it was even worse last year: 10.2) which is why they are 21st in net yards per pass attempt, 25th in yards overall, and 28th in plays per drive. Sacks are very often the fault of the QB, and in Wilson’s case it seems pretty obvious from the games that a lot of it is him. Sacks are total drive killers, and you simply can’t be a sack machine — especially when you can’t compensate for it by being a great running qb, which he no longer really is. He’s only slightly above average on that front now. He also has 10 fumbles.

I advise that you check out the sack numbers. They are sky high.

PS: In comparison, look at the sack rates for Brees over the years: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Come on..

He is going to end up somewhere 

Yes he will. But will he be a starter? As another poster speculated he might have to settle for being a bridge starter.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Very much alive? As others have pointed out his numbers are pretty deceiving. Russ has definitely not passed the eyeball test this year.

It seems that Russ is not a good fit for Payton's offense. Drew Brees on the other hand... 

Payton has a big ego for sure but I wouldn't dismiss him as a football coach. He inherited Russ and gave him virtually a whole season to grow into the system. Russ has gone 1-3 in the last 4 with the playoffs in sight. During their 6 game win streak Russ didn't play that well. It was really the improvement of the defense which was the story.

Let Russ stew.

I thought so too. His act had worn out in Seattle and then last year's debacle with his personal trainer being in the building and high-stepping workouts in the airplane... When Payton took over you could clearly feel that Russ was on a short leash.

Signing Russ was a bad move by the organization and it was a contract that Payton inherited. Denver fans were wishful that Payton could salvage Russ' career but Payton never embraced that narrative. He was lukewarm about Russ from the start.

Better? Yes. Much better? Well he was horrible last year.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes he will. But will he be a starter? As another poster speculated he might have to settle for being a bridge starter.

I think bridge starter is about as much as he can hope for after the past few years.  I’m thinking more along the lines of ring-chasing backup to a superstar or (much more likely) he hangs out for awhile to see if there’s an injury on a contender.  

• Like (+1) 1

So this guy will get two weeks of evaluation so Denver gets more clarity if he's a viable developmental starter (select the Watch on Youtube option):

I liked Stidham and thought the Raiders made a mistake letting him go and putting their eggs in the Jimmy G basket.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

After seeing  the Giants pay Dimes $40m a year … I don’t underestimate what NFL teams will pay for dud QBs

That's a point, but Dimes was coming off a season where he looked much improved, had a league-leading low in INT, and a career-high and #4 in league rushing contribution of more than 700 yds.  He's also 25.

Wilson is 35 and has taken a terrible beating with sacks the last 2 seasons.  He's actually had as many rush attempts for as many yards as he did 4-5 years ago, but to me he now runs like a busted mower in high grass.

Still, it's a point that one never knows what a QB-desperate NFL team will do

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

So this guy will get two weeks of evaluation so Denver gets more clarity if he's a viable developmental starter (select the Watch on Youtube option):

I liked Stidham and thought the Raiders made a mistake letting him go and putting their eggs in the Jimmy G basket.

Agreed.  F*** of a driver!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Payton has a big ego for sure but I wouldn't dismiss him as a football coach. He inherited Russ and gave him virtually a whole season to grow into the system. Russ has gone 1-3 in the last 4 with the playoffs in sight. During their 6 game win streak Russ didn't play that well. It was really the improvement of the defense which was the story

I agree that the defense improved markedly, but they started the season on "sieve-like" so I'm not sure that's entirely to Payton's credit.

On the other hand, he held the team together and brought them back from the Miami debacle, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

He was washed when he was traded to the Broncos.  Seahawks are excellent at knowing when "it's time."  

I also think Wilson believes his own press too much - he's not the hungry, humble guy who became the superstar QB.  Hasn't been for some time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Worst signing?  Von or Russ?

Both very highly paid end of career guys filling a major need.
I think Russ. Broncos missed a chance to tank for a franchise guy. 
Bills hurt themselves cap-wise but didn’t set themselves back too severely. 

Von is a really bad contract, but Russ is definitely worse.  Overall money & dead cap (approx $68M compared to approx $32M if I understand correctly)  is about double for Russ compared to Von.  And screwing up the QB position hurts your team worse than any defensive position. 

It's really when you throw in all the trade pieces that make it a total disaster for the Broncos.  2 1st rounders, including #5 overall, 2 2nd rounders and 3 rosterable players make it the worst trade of this century.   What's amazing is that the Browns may have equaled it on the Deshaun Watson trade & signing.  They Watson trade was terrible, but still TBD if it's as bad or worse than Wilson. 

15 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

And herein lies the lesson for the Fire McDermott crowd.   Typically a new HC wants.. his guys.. not that his guys are necessarily better than the guys he inherited; but new HC hires always mean massive roster overhauls.  

I'm not saying Josh would be gone if a new HC came in, but you can bet 75% of the roster will be within 2 years, while we hope to tread water and claim success.  New HC’s are always risky!  And the more “established” they are… the more they usually ***** up to do it their way.  

SP may end up being the guy to end Denver’s misery, but how long and at what cost?  It seems with benching Wilson, they’re firmly treading water on a hope a prayer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.