Josh Allen Needs Way More Pass Attempts

BillsFan130

Passing game was fine.  Josh hit one TD and missed another otherwise that interception would have been another 30 plus yards and a TD.  Diggs would have ended up with decent numbers and Josh would have had almost 300 yards passing.  We need less mistakes more than we need more passing.  

3 hours ago, Koufax said:

I was there today and close to the field on the Bills side. Watched warmups and sideline stuff. Josh is hurt. Throwing shoulder. You could see it during pregame warmups. During warmups before drives. How he grabbed his shoulder after missing on the first play of the game. How he missed his throws early and often. Great guts and execution to get us the win, but throwing a little less for a few weeks and having an extra day now he can get a little better, have a run first game against NE and be himself by Miami. 

Diggs was also hurt on the first play, his neck, but also had a little limp jogging on and off the field. Two gamers who did enough for us to win and head home for a Merry Christmas. 

Interesting. Thanks for the insight

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Passing game was fine.  Josh hit one TD and missed another otherwise that interception would have been another 30 plus yards and a TD.  Diggs would have ended up with decent numbers and Josh would have had almost 300 yards passing.  We need less mistakes more than we need more passing.  

This.

I agree we need to run more pass plays, but mainly we need to run more plays.

This game comes down to player mistakes.  Cook had some kind of illness and it showed.  Kinkaid has been off since his concussion, and diggs and allen aren't in the same page.

All that said, of we avoid the fumbles we'd have had more plays and would have closed this game out in the first half.  

On d aj is out, hyde is out, and I don't know what happened to Floyd but I barely saw him play.

Classic playing down to competition game

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Let's not downplay 3 turnovers vs the Chargers 0 turnovers... 

It's hard enough to win on the road, and even harder with such a huge turnover differential. When you keep giving opponents extra drives & losing your own, it's more on the players than coaching. 

Yeah, the turnovers have to stop. It's getting very old. I'm tired of games that shouldn't be close becoming grinds because of us being stupid with turnovers 

3 hours ago, Koufax said:

I was there today and close to the field on the Bills side. Watched warmups and sideline stuff. Josh is hurt. Throwing shoulder. You could see it during pregame warmups. During warmups before drives. How he grabbed his shoulder after missing on the first play of the game. How he missed his throws early and often. Great guts and execution to get us the win, but throwing a little less for a few weeks and having an extra day now he can get a little better, have a run first game against NE and be himself by Miami. 

Diggs was also hurt on the first play, his neck, but also had a little limp jogging on and off the field. Two gamers who did enough for us to win and head home for a Merry Christmas. 

Not at the game but everything you are saying here checks out after watching the game on TV.  Thing is if your QB is banged up you'd like to lean on the running game and then your RB fumbles.  Overall the defense played well enough, especially given the positions they were put in.  What I wouldn't give for it to appear that Allen just naturally understood getting the ball out quicker.  He seems back to running around passing up short easy passes for chances at bombs that sometimes work but frequently don't.  I mean every pass play could be a 50 yard TD if you run scramble drill for 6 or 7 seconds but it's not a sustainable offense.  Hit your guy (TE, RB, Slot WR) at 3 or 4 yards and let him run for a couple more and keep the chains moving.  It seems like the less seriously we take the defense the less likely Josh is to stay on program and I'm starting to think it's part of why we choke against lesser teams.  Allen has a lot of Pickle Rick in him and seems to have a hard time taking the boring throws that move the sticks.  Not saying he can't do it, just that he fights it in games where it seems like the win should come easier.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Punch said:

The Bills only ran 55 offensive plays, due to the turnovers. They need to clean it up but they were clearly off.

Why Harty and Settle are even on the roster escapes me.   Harty is just not effective.   Settle is just not effective.   

Put Hyde back there and have him fair catch everything.   No more taking possessions away from Josh to gain a few yards on punt returns.

Put Poona in the rotation and take Settle out.   

What is so hard about that?   

Wow, this board has turned even me into a hardened critic.  Yikes.  go bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Not at the game but everything you are saying here checks out after watching the game on TV.  Thing is if your QB is banged up you'd like to lean on the running game and then your RB fumbles.  Overall the defense played well enough, especially given the positions they were put in.  What I wouldn't give for it to appear that Allen just naturally understood getting the ball out quicker.  He seems back to running around passing up short easy passes for chances at bombs that sometimes work but frequently don't.  I mean every pass play could be a 50 yard TD if you run scramble drill for 6 or 7 seconds but it's not a sustainable offense.  Hit your guy (TE, RB, Slot WR) at 3 or 4 yards and let him run for a couple more and keep the chains moving.  It seems like the less seriously we take the defense the less likely Josh is to stay on program and I'm starting to think it's part of why we choke against lesser teams.  Allen has a lot of Pickle Rick in him and seems to have a hard time taking the boring throws that move the sticks.  Not saying he can't do it, just that he fights it in games where it seems like the win should come easier.  

This is why he’ll continue to be QB2 in the league behind Mahomes.. until/if he stops the urge to do this every other game.

I do think Mahomes has come down to earth a bit in the first year he’s had without top tier weapons around him, (last year Kelce was elite and they had the best OL) but the fact is .. he’s willing to play QB, as boring as it can be, on a consistent basis.  

With Allen, it’s just a constant struggle to force him to play QB regularly.  He can do it an elite level, but it’s not fun .. and because it’s not fun or exciting, it’s an ongoing battle. 

Just get in the playoffs though, because when Allen is on, there’s no one better … no one. 

6 hours ago, Koufax said:

That's interesting. Thanks for that insight on Josh as I didn't notice that myself

11 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. I still think the bills offence is

much better without Knox.

Simplify it- 11 personnel with Shakir/kincaid. Let Josh be Josh and mix in the run with cook

Yeah agree.  They used some funky stuff yesterday.  They went 5 wide once with Knox, Sherfield, and Murray for instance. Or fat heavy extra lineman put in motion.  I like that Brady uses everybody but sometimes you just have to put your best players on the field and use what works.

Chargers played us differently though.  They tried to take Cook away as well as Josh runs and were using two spys sometimes.

Edited by Scott7975

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Josh has got to start taking and completing the easy throws. He makes life a lot harder on himself. The throw to Diggs on 3rd down late in the game was such an incredibly difficult throw. Great to watch but man, such a hard throw.

It wasn't a hard throw.  Diggs was wide open.  Josh just didn't set his feet.  If he done so that was an easy TD.  He felt too rushed but he had the time to set his feet.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

It wasn't a hard throw.  Diggs was wide open.  Josh just didn't set his feet.  If he done so that was an easy TD.  He felt too rushed but he had the time to set his feet.

I think he’s referring to the 3rd and 8 where he hit Diggs on an out on the last drive. That was a precise throw into tight coverage and a great catch

Edited by RunTheBall

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I think he’s referring to the 3rd and 8 where he hit Diggs on an out on the last drive. That was a precise throw into tight coverage and a great catch

Ah, I assumed he was referring to the INT.  That throw is a different story.

Edited by Scott7975

29 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah agree.  They used some funky stuff yesterday.  They went 5 wide once with Knox, Sherfield, and Murray for instance. Or fat heavy extra lineman put in motion.  I like that Brady uses everybody but sometimes you just have to put your best players on the field and use what works.

Chargers played us differently though.  They tried to take Cook away as well as Josh runs and were using two spys sometimes.

Agreed. Simple is sometimes better.

When you have like 10 different personnel packages, It's just hard to get in a rhythm that way

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Yeah that is Josh's one weakness in his game. It's Just his playstyle and mentality not sure it will ever change. Peyton Manning was like that compared to Brady . He always wanted the chunk play while Brady wud dink and dunk u to death. Favre was like that..Prime Roethlisberger did the run around waiting for big plays like josh frequently rather than take check downs.

6 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I thought Brady Called a poor game.  Seemed more Dorsey like with no plan just running plays.  Very little motion, no throws to RBs , no delayed runs.  Guessing vanilla game plan for an opponent they should have blown out.  Hope he gets his act together for NE next week.

I thought both sides of the ball were rather vanilla. McDermott mentioned in his post game presser they saw plays from the Chargers that were not on film at all this season. I'm guessing because of the interim coach we had no clue what to expect so we called a generic game plan and hoped the talent discrepancy would be enough... Obviously as we saw, it almost wasn't.

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think the stats were misleading a little. The penalties and execution errors derailed a lot of the drives today. 

Add to the penalties, 3-0 on turnovers 52 to 65 on total plays, the ratio of runs to passes wasn't that bad.

The other concern I have is most of the year, Allen has been off a bit on many of his passes. The 1st pass of the game to Diggs was near his feet, he over threw Kincaid on one early, the int was under thrown.  Hasn't just been this game either.  Prior years you could count on 3rd and 20, Allen throwing a sideline connection where no one but the WR could catch it.  He's not making it easy for the guys to make the catches.  He still does make the amazing pass, but not as often as prior.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Add to the penalties, 3-0 on turnovers 52 to 65 on total plays, the ratio of runs to passes wasn't that bad.

The other concern I have is most of the year, Allen has been off a bit on many of his passes. The 1st pass of the game to Diggs was near his feet, he over threw Kincaid on one early, the int was under thrown.  Hasn't just been this game either.  Prior years you could count on 3rd and 20, Allen throwing a sideline connection where no one but the WR could catch it.  He's not making it easy for the guys to make the catches.  He still does make the amazing pass, but not as often as prior.

52 plays and only 21 pass attempts though? 

31 runs to 21 passes with Josh Allen as your QB is still very questionable to me 

13 hours ago, peterpan said:

One way to throw more passes is to complete more passes.  Was it 0-3 on the first drive? Missing wide open guys on third down and throwing picks don’t help.  

playing well rewards itself with, more plays.

we played poorly all night, and that’s a big reason why we threw so few passes. 

Allen completed over 70% of his passes for more than 11 yards per attempt. He also didn’t start 0-3, the first possession he was 2/4. 

We threw so few passes because…we decided to run on 59% of offensive snaps. 

Obviously, when you’re running for 8 yards a pop on seemingly every play like we did against Dallas, you can’t argue with it. When you average 3.5 yards per rush and 11.3 yards per pass attempt, I have a HUGE problem with the run/pass ratio being 59/41. 

Our biggest advantage in every game is our QB vs the oppositions QB. When we decide of our own volition to not take advantage of that, it’s an issue.

36 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I made that same comment in the GDT. He seems off, and I suspect it is his shoulder— maybe changing his mechanics to overcompensate. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.