Punt team— what is going on?

Miyagi-Do Karate

2 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Agreed special teams makes me nervous. 

Harty has been sure handed which is nice and the kick team has been solid. 

Bass is coming back around too but man punt team is bad

It’s interesting you mention Bass. He’s developed a serious slice on his kicks. I see other guys drill the thing straight as an arrow. I wonder if it’s intentional with Bass or if it’s something he’s trying to fix. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s interesting you mention Bass. He’s developed a serious slice on his kicks. I see other guys drill the thing straight as an arrow. I wonder if it’s intentional with Bass or if it’s something he’s trying to fix. 

I think he has always had it. Would call it more of a fade. I think that’s why he lines up on the left side for PATs.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Anyone have idea what is going on with our punt team? We had two near blocks on punts. Just a total jail break both times.

i feel like Sam Martin has a slow release, which also doesn’t help.

Really need to clean this up. I don’t care if special teams is mediocre; it just can’t create negative plays.

I posted on the other special teams thread and I'll restate it here. Not sure if it was by design or player fault, however on the roughing call the up man (Hamlin I believe) scooted upfield right after the snap and there was no one inside to block there. 

Not sure about the first one as I haven't watched it back yet, but definitely saw that on the replays of the second one. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Anyone have idea what is going on with our punt team? We had two near blocks on punts. Just a total jail break both times.

Really need to clean this up. I don’t care if special teams is mediocre; it just can’t create negative plays.

The entire punting operation is poor.  McDermott needs to find another ST coordinator this offseason.  

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Get on the 1950s blower! Get the Punt God back!

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The strange part is the almost punt block was like one of the biggest turning points of the game. If it gets blocked, we are in trouble. Not only did he get it off, was a good punt and got the penalty 

No doubt. In real time, I thought for a split second that the punt was blocked, then was amazed to see a decent boot downfield by Martin. Watching the replay, it was even more amazing. It truly was the perfect storm of events.

58 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Don't flare the personal protector right and we can pick up guys if they break through...or, just effing block the rusher

Agree. That was insane. I think Hamlin (the personal protector) was correct in executing the play call as he looped around immediately to go into downfield coverage. Why you would have the personal protector do that is beyond anything I understand as it completely opens up a direct line to the punter.

I'm honestly surprised this hasent been addressed to some degree. Martin is mediocre at best, and teams are starting to figure out they can probably block his punts. I know he holds for bass, but I'm surprised they haven't brought another punter in for the practice squad 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.