James Cook: a thread of appreciation

Success

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I've completely changed my opinion of Cook. Him and Ty looks like a great combination. Ken Dorsey HAD to be the problem!! No way the run to pass ratio would've favored the running game

We saw tonight in living color how flawed Dorsey's version of the offense was.  Dallas is no slouch defensively and our run attack shredded them.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cook is one of those guys that seems like they make the opponent take bad angles, he's just moving a lot faster than it seems he's moving. Guys think they have an angle and just touch him with fingertips... or a horsecollar

38 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We saw tonight in living color how flawed Dorsey's version of the offense was.  Dallas is no slouch defensively and our run attack shredded them.  

Spencer Brown is SO friggin good in the run game relative to the pass game. He must be the most wildly divergent tackle in the league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I wouldn’t have picked Cook in the first round that’s for sure. But my argument still holds true to why you should draft a first round RB. Because you get one extra season out of them as a first rounder on a reasonable contract. If Cook continues to play well going into next season, he will be unsignable considering our cap situation right now. And the continued arguments that RBs are a dime a dozen and you shouldn’t pay them large 2nd contracts. 

As of tonight he’s #2in the league in rushing yards and #3 in the league in total yards from scrimmage. 

Reaction GIF

• Like (+1) 3

He's so aggressive and it's only increasing. He just runs with purpose every single time, I don't see that slowing down.

I'm sure it's been said but he's second in the NFL in rushing right now. It's not like he's just contributing, he's one of the best backs playing right now. A very real upgrade to Singletary/Moss even with their recent successes. He's a genuine gamebreaker. 4th quarter with everything on the line in the playoffs, he's the guy that can night night the opposition. We simply haven't had this in previous seasons.

11 minutes ago, DCBongo said:

Cook is beginning to look like the second coming of #34.  If this continues to be, Big Bad Bills might be back.  And that is must see TV!

s-l400.jpg

Interesting view. He’s definitely coming into his own and the full potential of what he can do is tantalizing. 

Maybe there can only be one Cook cheffing it up in the league at any given time. Stole his brothers mojo…

• Like (+1) 1

I know it wasn't flashy enough to make "Angry Runs," but the play where Cook (with some help) carried a pile of defenders an extra ten yards was spectacular.

Also, I watched the end of the Houston-Tennessee game and Singletary had some nice plays. My wife said, "That name sounds familiar" (outside of Josh and Stef, she probably couldn't name any Bills players off-hand) so I told her that he used to play for the Bills. He's good, but they decided not to renew his contract. Then, after James Cook ripped off a couple of great runs, I said, "And that's why Devin Singletary lost his job." 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Warcodered said:

How much cook could a James Cook cook if a James Cook could James Cook?

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I know it wasn't flashy enough to make "Angry Runs," but the play where Cook (with some help) carried a pile of defenders an extra ten yards was spectacular.

Also, I watched the end of the Houston-Tennessee game and Singletary had some nice plays. My wife said, "That name sounds familiar" (outside of Josh and Stef, she probably couldn't name any Bills players off-hand) so I told her that he used to play for the Bills. He's good, but they decided not to renew his contract. Then, after James Cook ripped off a couple of great runs, I said, "And that's why Devin Singletary lost his job." 

There was one run in particular bounced outside to the left where the defender got to the edge and got a hand on Cook to trip him up and Cook had already gained like 8 yards. Said to the watch party that I've seen that exact run a hundred times in the past 4 years with Singletary and Moss and it only gains 1 yard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

There was one run in particular bounced outside to the left where the defender got to the edge and got a hand on Cook to trip him up and Cook had already gained like 8 yards. Said to the watch party that I've seen that exact run a hundred times in the past 4 years with Singletary and Moss and it only gains 1 yard.

You were dead nuts on when you said something earlier about defenders struggling with taking bad angles on him.

I still don't think he has great long speed but that burst he has is playing absolute havoc with guys' pursuit angles. You beat him to the spot where you want to meet him and the next thing you know he's a full stride past you and you're lunging at shoelaces. Guys that play him a couple times will certainly adjust to it, but even now you can already see him learning to make his cuts just a split second earlier.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I mentioned this in another thread but it needs to be posted here too:

As of earlier this season there were fans here roasting the Bills for taking Kaiir Elam at 23... especially in the context of the Jets taking Breece Hall at 36.

In that same 2022 draft the Bills took James Cook at 63.

The Jets have plenty of issues, but Hall is on pace for less than 800 yards rushing this year. Thats replacement level back stuff

Devin Singletary is on pace for more yards than Hall to put that in context 

• Like (+1) 1

I kept in my keeper fantasy league! I had faith!

there is some weird narrative that Allen plays with bums. We have a vastly improved o line, a top 5 wide receiver, a future star TE, and now a top 5 rb. Just glad we figured out to throw him the ball and get him space. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Jets have plenty of issues, but Hall is on pace for less than 800 yards rushing this year. Thats replacement level back stuff

Devin Singletary is on pace for more yards than Hall to put that in context 

Hall is awesome. Playing with Zack Wilson and behind that o line is making him look much worse than he is. 

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Hall is awesome. Playing with Zack Wilson and behind that o line is making him look much worse than he is. 

Oh I agree, my point was that there was more than one good back in that draft. Hall is a good player but hes not a game-changer on his own. Guys like CMC and Bakley are probably the only guys talented enough for that. To miss out on Hall was not a big deal to me 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.