Bills cornerback Kaiir Elam says he tore ankle ligament in preseason and tried to play through it

HOUSE

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

LIGHT HIM ON FIRE AND TRADE HIM FOR A 7TH!

TRADE HIM POST JUNE 1ST TO SPREAD HIS $8M DEAD CAP HIT OUT TO TWO YEARS INSTEAD OF PAYING HIM $3.7M TO ACTUALLY PLAY HERE.

GIT ER DONE BEAN !

He’s played 165 snaps over 3 games this year, 2 of them bad losses.

$3.7M to actually play here would mean more if he actually played here 

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When did Jerry and Hogan announce their injuries?

I think it probably didn’t help his performance, but he was flat out beat by Benford in preseason. 

In the surgery rooms immediately after the season. Hogan took a ton of heat from fans in 2015 for an atypically high number of drops but his injury was hidden until after the season. I'm not actually sure what you're point is; this is pretty well known. 

36 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When did Jerry and Hogan announce their injuries?

I think it probably didn’t help his performance, but he was flat out beat by Benford in preseason. 

That's true.  But maybe Benford is a pretty good player who has played well above his draft status, and also played a similar scheme in college.  While it's disappointing that the Bills have not gotten more out of their 1st round pick to date, they've gotten a lot of very good play out of their 6th round pick.  Just because Benford is ahead of Elam at this stage of their careers doesn't necessarily mean that Elam is a bad player.  (He may very well be bad, but the fact that someone else played better is not indicative of that.)

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

In the surgery rooms immediately after the season. Hogan took a ton of heat from fans in 2015 for an atypically high number of drops but his injury was hidden until after the season. I'm not actually sure what you're point is; this is pretty well known. 

Immediately after the season. Exactly my point.

The whole thing with Elam just doesn’t make any sense to me and I totally believe what he is saying here

He did not look bad whenever you got his opportunities last year so to just follow off a cliff like he did make no sense to me all along. It also doesn’t make sense to me. The McDermott might have squashed him because basically McDermott is the cornerback whisperer. You can say a lot of things about him, but he knows how to coach secondary.

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah which means his value currently is a negative. If Elam were traded, we’d at least save money. 

Same result is no Elam on the field.

So ... trade Matt Milano too?

He gets injured sometimes. Negative value to the team?

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah which means his value currently is a negative. If Elam were traded, we’d at least save money. 

Same result is no Elam on the field.

We'd see 1.7M in dead cap in 2024 and 2025, and there would be ~2M in 2024 savings.  This is pretty much the going rate for a backup corner in UFA.  

I dont understand why people would want to trade him now. He has a plausible reason why he was not playing well. He already showed talent on the field last year. 

We should be asking why McDumbass didn't just put him on IR in the first place instead of making him a "healthy scratch" when it appears he was not healthy. 

McD is building a nice track record of mischaracterizing players. First he makes Diggs look like a malcontent and now he makes Elam look like a bust. 

God I hate our head coach!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

This is the best possible scenario for the Bills, and it explains alot in regards to him.

I didn't believe he was not one of the top 3 or 4 DB's on this team, and I refused to go along with the sentiment on this board that he was a bust. He looked too much like he belonged last season for him to be not worthy to play on gamedays. Now I believe we know why.

Lots of posters here should be embarrassed about their trash takes on the kid and their willingness to dump him

We HOPE it explains a lot.  He was already sliding down the depth chart before he was injured if I recall correctly.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I dont understand why people would want to trade him now. He has a plausible reason why he was not playing well. He already showed talent on the field last year. 

We should be asking why McDumbass didn't just put him on IR in the first place instead of making him a "healthy scratch" when it appears he was not healthy. 

McD is building a nice track record of mischaracterizing players. First he makes Diggs look like a malcontent and now he makes Elam look like a bust. 

God I hate our head coach!!!!!

McDermott doesn't make IR decisions.  That is Beane's responsibility.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

We HOPE it explains a lot.  He was already sliding down the depth chart before he was injured if I recall correctly.

The article on it says he initially injured his ankle in the 1st preseason game then tore in the 2nd.  So the cause/effect could have been injured -> sliding down depth chart

The concern I have (then and now) is apparently he didn't choose a surgical repair.  I'm not sure he chose wisely.

Edited by Beck Water

On 12/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

So you’re taking Elam’s side here?  Meanie McDermott made him play when he should’ve got surgery.  Yet he still didn’t get surgery when he went on IR.  

Listen BR, there are players that play with injuries pretty much every game throughout the season on every team, go clutch your pearls somewhere else…, everyone would appreciate it, 

GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Listen BR, there are players that play with injuries pretty much every game throughout the season on every team, go clutch your pearls somewhere else…, everyone would appreciate it, 

GO BILLS!!!

Bizarre how people take the side of fringe players like Elam over our coach and the organization.  

Now that Elam’s healthy, maybe he can beat out Cam Lewis and suit up on Sunday.  

Go Bills!!!!!!!

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Bizarre how people take the side of fringe players like Elam over our coach and the organization.  

Now that Elam’s healthy, maybe he can beat out Cam Lewis and suit up on Sunday.  

Go Bills!!!!!!!

Bizarre how people segue into irrelevant nonsense to double down on their initial erroneous statements, but you do you, 😁👍🍸🚬

GO BILLS!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.