Anyone ever watch American Idol?

Another Fan

I've been in a more than nostalgic mood of late.  I used to think Paula Abdul was hot when I was in grade & middle school.  I still like her Forever Your girl album and some other songs.

Never got into this show for the most part.  Surprisingly (or maybe not) it looks like its still on 

I have in the past. There was a contestant I really liked named Lakisha Jones. She didn't win but made a career for herself afterwards. Simon called her "a belter"

that show just shows how hard it is to really make it in the music world. So many talented people. But a scant few have careers with legs afterwards compared with how many contestants they have had over the years

I haven't followed it in a few years.

23 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I've been in a more than nostalgic mood of late.  I used to think Paula Abdul was hot when I was in grade & middle school.  I still like her Forever Your girl album and some other songs.

Never got into this show for the most part.  Surprisingly (or maybe not) it looks like its still on 

Yes, I've watch it. Lionel, Katie and Luke are fun judges but the formula gets boring after time so I don't watch it every season like I did in the early days of the show.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I was a die hard fan back in the early days. My wife and I actually went to one one of their live shows like 20

years ago, featuring Ruben studdard and Clay Aiken! 

looking it up now, the last season we watched was season 9– Lee Dwyze was the winner! 

My favorite idol was probably Katherine McPhee— to me, probably the most talented singer on the show. And she lost to that Taylor Hicks! 

I watched a little Star Search with Ed McMahon briefly. Was that the first? I guess not, but it’s the first I remember.  Anyway, I enjoy good comedy so that was the hook. I can do just fine without all the singing and dancing stuff, as in I turn the channel as quickly as possible to pretty much anything else. 

I can go to Vegas and never even bet a quarter in the slots. I’ll be happy to go to one or two shows a day for comedy and/or magic. I prefer the Penn & Teller show reruns to American Idol by a factor of about a billion. It’s very similar with magicians competing to fool Penn & Teller. 

I watched American Idol for years. Then stopped for years. Then watched it again for a couple years. 

It got too staged for me, so I let it go. 

I have been watching the Voice for the past couple years and I enjoy it. 

Talent is far better than Idol and I like the judges and the format. 

Moat importantly, they don’t give any air time to idiots just looking for attention. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/12/2023 at 1:41 PM, LabattBlue said:

Back in the day, we had a poster here(whose name escapes me), who wrote hysterical AI weekly recaps.  

Didn’t even know it was still on the air. 

there was a reporter here in DC who did daily blogs of “ we watch so you don’t have to”.  Thry were funny with their writing style using criticism snd sarcasm.  They did this with many reality shows and other popular shows so you didn’t seem out of touch at the water cooler.

AI has been around 20 years or something like test. It’s not on ABC in the spring ( March- May).  I’ve watched episodes but don’t watch it closely.

I think part of the reason is how much success do the folks get post show?  Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson are thr only successful winners.  There has bern others who got success from the show but didn’t Winn ( Adam Labert- Quern lead singer, Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Pickler)

I caught a show or two in the first few seasons and did not know what the "fuss" was all about. So, I watched all of Season 4 to find out. This was the year Carrie Underwood won. You could see as the season progressed, how much they were grooming her to be a star. Her hairstyle, vocals, clothes, performances, and even off stage mannerisms became more professional. They succeeded in making her a star. I have not watched it since.

Interestingly, the guy who came in second place, Bo Dice was a very long haired southern rock and blues style (Allman Brothers, Lynard Skynard) musician, who just made the age limit for contestants at 28 yeas old. I liked his stuff, but it was obvious Underwood was the "favorite". 

I actually saw Bo Dice as lead singer for Blood Sweat and Tears around 2016 at the Rochester Jazz Festival, and they were great!

NO one from the original BS&T is still with the band, but the name and the show go on. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

Last year's winner Iam Tongi was actually quite easy.  

On 12/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Well he's super talented 

The AI producers obviously saved the best audition for last, because Julia Gagnon just completely slayed an Aretha song and that just does not happen by accident.   I'll push my chips to the center of the table for her this season.