The "McDermott Handicap" and hopefully a solution

peterpan

I liked the way McD was calling the D at the end, even though it had some mixed results.  It feels like he tends to go in "prevent" mode if we had a lead, but we were blitzing almost the whole time on that last Chiefs drive & playing very aggressive.

The issue w/ the game was Brady's playcalling on our last drive.  I thought he called a good game overall, but when the clock was at 2:12, 3 passes in a row, allowing KC to preserve their remaining timeouts and still have 2 minutes, was not the way to go.

5 hours ago, McBean said:

The muppets are salivating and out in full force because of the “win.”

Reality is, McClap scratched a lotto ticket last night and won.

bailed out by toney and the refs for once again, more crappy coaching decisions.

The facts are still this:

1. he’s a horrible HC who continues to show he can’t make proper in game decisions.

2. Has this team still outside looking in in regards to the playoffs. Still a stretch we get in and besides, we have to go on the road if we do. You trust McDermott to help us win 3 road games? I sure as heck don’t.

3. Lost draft position 

4. The win today insured he is coming back next year.

This isn’t good folks. Some of us were willing to sacrifice a few games this year for long term success. 

too many “want it now” short term thinkers.

Sad!

The facts are also this:

1.  Over 60% winning percentage.

2. Took a joke of a franchise and culture and turned it into a perennial contender.

3. Wins at least 1 playoff game the last 3 seasons in a row.

4. Drafted Josh Allen instead of Josh Rosen and was in charge while he went from raw, Wyoming Josh, to a top 5 QB in the league (top 2 IMO).

5. Developed Hyde and Poyer into All-Pro Safeties.

6. Drafted and Developed White and Milano into All-Pros.

7. Drafted and developed one of the best nickle CBs in the game, Johnson.

8. Attracted high value FA including Miller, Floyd, Jones.

9. Has improved in analytical usage, most notably, going for it on 4th downs.

10. We are in every single game are rarely are beat by more than one score. 

11. Took the Bills to the Playoffs with Tyrod freaking Taylor as our QB.

Dude needs to learn how to better utilize his challenges and timeouts, no doubt, but he sure has hell has way more positives than the few negatives you babies always cry about.  I could not care less what Trent Murphy and Quinton Spain type scrubs have to say about a former employer who fired their worthless butts.  Especially when they are too chicken to even put their names to it.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Yes I was well aware of the fake they ran.  And it was surprising considering how hard the Chiefs had been crashing on the screen all game.

I also am well aware that josh has the option to hand it inside to cook on those plays and did that throughout the game too.  

And all things considered I still think it was a stupid risky call in this game at that time.  

So no one else has put up what their guess at the MCd Handicap number should be?  -2.5?? Anyone? Bueller?

I think you'd probably come to the same conclusion with most coaches.  Reid used to famously be inept with clock management until he suddenly wasn't. Carroll throwing the ball on the 1 yard line with Wilson in the SB when he has Marshawn Lynch to hand it off to. 

It's like you act as if every single other coach makes the right decision all the time with 24  hours of hindsight to look back on and it's honestly moistly nonsense because in every game you see coaches make dumb decisions looking back on things

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

The facts are also this:

1.  Over 60% winning percentage.

2. Took a joke of a franchise and culture and turned it into a perennial contender.

3. Wins at least 1 playoff game the last 3 seasons in a row.

4. Drafted Josh Allen instead of Josh Rosen and was in charge while he went from raw, Wyoming Josh, to a top 5 QB in the league (top 2 IMO).

5. Developed Hyde and Poyer into All-Pro Safeties.

6. Drafted and Developed White and Milano into All-Pros.

7. Drafted and developed one of the best nickle CBs in the game, Johnson.

8. Attracted high value FA including Miller, Floyd, Jones.

9. Has improved in analytical usage, most notably, going for it on 4th downs.

10. We are in every single game are rarely are beat by more than one score. 

11. Took the Bills to the Playoffs with Tyrod freaking Taylor as our QB.

Dude needs to learn how to better utilize his challenges and timeouts, no doubt, but he sure has hell has way more positives than the few negatives you babies always cry about.  I could not care less what Trent Murphy and Quinton Spain type scrubs have to say about a former employer who fired their worthless butts.  Especially when they are too chicken to even put their names to it.

If McD relinquishes the ability to:

*Throw the challenge flag without someone's else's approval

*Call defensive time outs 

*Make any defensive calls after the 2 minute warning 

I'd extend him for 5 years.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/251336-carolina-hires-new-coach/?do=findComment&comment=8750723

Edited by Tenhigh

What I see is a team that will soon revert to their mean as a playoff team. 

If anything that data shows me how much better we are than the others. 

Not sure if you realize but point differentials like that require high performance on both sides of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Not sure if you realize but point differentials like that require high performance on both sides of the ball. 

First thing I thought too lol.

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Gross numbers

Don’t want this man around pending an immaculate finish to the season 

IMG_8848.jpeg

Sooooo it’s likely that the clock will strike 12 on those other teams and they’ll turn into a pumpkin? Meanwhile we pick up steam and get to go to the ball? 

It shows me what I already know. The Bills are competitive in every game and don't get blown out.

This isnt the gotcha you think it is... in fact it's quite the opposite. 

The Bills are in every game even when they don't have their best. Their biggest loss is by 6.

broncos lost by 50

Steelers lost by 24

Colts lost by 20

Bengals lost by 24

Texans lost by 24... twice

• Agree 1

McD is the same as he has always been. His defense pads stats against terrible QBs. 

But give him some credit. His D held KC to 17 and forced two turnovers.  Then got a stop when it mattered after being given a gift. If I'm going to rip him for Denver,Philly, and Pats loss, then I have to offer some praise for 17 points on the road. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McD is the same as he has always been. His defense pads stats against terrible QBs

But give him some credit. His D held KC to 17 and forced two turnovers.  Then got a stop when it mattered after being given a gift. If I'm going to rip him for Denver,Philly, and Pats loss, then I have to offer some praise for 17 points on the road. 

Every team does.  We have played a 1st place schedule 3 years in a row now. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

McD is the same as he has always been. His defense pads stats against terrible QBs. 

Miami has been held to 17 3 times this season and 19 twice. Denver held them to 9. It’s not a particularly impressive feat this season, but the D held them after getting a gift penalty at the end. 

The real test will be outscoring Dallas. 

57 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Gross numbers

Don’t want this man around pending an immaculate finish to the season 

IMG_8848.jpeg

I get they won last night but they are something like 9-21 in close games in the past 3 years. That's coaching.

47 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

And also extreme amounts of poor situational awareness which comes down to preperation and knowing how to finish games. This coach doesn't have it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.