Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Simple. If you have a guy taking money out of the cap, that means other players can’t earn that money. That’s what a CAP is. 

But isn’t that true for any contract?  LOL. 
What Josh Allen earns takes money out of some other’s guy’s pocket?  

17 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

But isn’t that true for any contract?  LOL. 
What Josh Allen earns takes money out of some other’s guy’s pocket?  

Ugh. So it’s your opinion that players will purposely try and get convicted of crimes so as to mess with their teams cap? These are not football related crimes, and should be outside of the cap….no matter what team it is. And to suggest that the Owners would be against it is presumptuous. All Owners want to win in a highly competitive business. None of them want to be handicapped because an employee committed a crime while at home. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ugh. So it’s your opinion that players will purposely try and get convicted of crimes so as to mess with their teams cap? These are not football related crimes, and should be outside of the cap….no matter what team it is. And to suggest that the Owners would be against it is presumptuous. All Owners want to win in a highly competitive business. None of them want to be handicapped because an employee committed a crime while at home. 

I don’t know where you are getting all this stuff you’re putting in my mouth; all I’m saying is Von eating cap when he’s unable to play because of a personal issue is no different than a high paid player using up cap, an injured player using up cap, etc.

I am not commenting on whether there should be cap relief for Von’s situation, though it would be nice and I would be for that. 

I just am not certain the owners will go for it because it means they will have lost their pre-paid guaranteed money and have to pay out more to use up the cap relief they may get. 

I think some owners will do anything to win. I think all owners will do anything to make/save money. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I don’t know where you are getting all this stuff you’re putting in my mouth; all I’m saying is Von eating cap when he’s unable to play because of a personal issue is no different than a high paid player using up cap, an injured player using up cap, etc.

I am not commenting on whether there should be cap relief for Von’s situation, though it would be nice and I would be for that. 

I just am not certain the owners will go for it because it means they will have lost their pre-paid guaranteed money and have to pay out more to use up the cap relief they may get. 

I think some owners will do anything to win. I think all owners will do anything to make/save money. 

I apologize. I’m not trying to put things in your mouth. I just see a huge distinction between football risks (injuries, poor performance, etc) and something that has nothing to do with football. Remember, the cap is the maximum an Owner can pay. Theres no minimum. So in this case Pegula could say ‘I’ve invested enough in employee salaries already, so I’m not going to backfill the hole”. And as I said, there’s nobody who is going to get convicted of a crime so as to benefit their former employer. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

I obviously disagree. Other players, either current or future, shouldn’t have their wages reduced because a guy who used to be on your team did something that was completely unrelated to football. That is not what the salary cap is there for. 

I am talking about the facts of how the current salary cap works, based on negotations with the players union and the owners, and codified in their agreement. 

You certainly can have an opinion of how it should be changed.  But I think the facts of how it  applies in Von Millers contract situation currently are what they are. 

17 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I apologize. I’m not trying to put things in your mouth. I just see a huge distinction between football risks (injuries, poor performance, etc) and something that has nothing to do with football. Remember, the cap is the maximum an Owner can pay. Theres no minimum. So in this case Pegula could say ‘I’ve invested enough in employee salaries already, so I’m not going to backfill the hole”. And as I said, there’s nobody who is going to get convicted of a crime so as to benefit their former employer. 

Get a room you two:wub:

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think you have to worry about AJ sitting the bench.  Since Von has been back, AJE is still getting more snaps.

Well every snap Von gets he is taking the place of someone more effective then him. He is our 6th best DE right now. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I am a little taken aback by the "this isn't the Von we have known for the last 1.5 years" and "this is clearly out of character". They have those terrible texts to the same woman. This isn't his first DV charge. 

I feel a bit dirty about the teams response in this presser. 

Edit: There is "We are taking the lead from the NFL and following league procedure" and then there is standing behind Von's character and taking a side. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am a little taken aback by the "this isn't the Von we have known for the last 1.5 years" and "this is clearly out of character". They have those terrible texts to the same woman. This isn't his first DV charge. 

I feel a bit dirty about the teams response in this presser. 

Edit: There is "We are taking the lead from the NFL and following league procedure" and then there is standing behind Von's character and taking a side. 

Beane clearly knew a lot of backstory we didn’t about Araiza and you could tell he was pretty torn up that he had to do what he had to do.  

Later on, we all found out why he was torn up by what the mob/media forced him to do. 

I trust him if he says what he says about Von.  I’m sure he knows more about this than we do. 

• Like (+1) 2

To put my tinfoil hat on, their wording about whether the Bills or the League are reaching out to officials in Dallas was wonky. I believe it was something like "we have people, but we rely on the league". Similar wording around if anybody has spoken to the woman. 

If the recording never gets released via FOIL I am coming back to this statement, that both the league and an NFL franchise were in contact with local officials.

I always find this wonky. I have worked at a few mulit-billion dollar global corporations, if these charges came to me or anybody above me in the C-Suite, there is no way my local offices in the NE or Global HQ would be able to have conversations with the police about an ongoing investigation for DV. 

Also, interesting wording around "I think this case will be open for a while". Which gives the team and the league some protection against FOIL's before they close or move forward.

Beane repeatedly said they’re letting police and NFL take the lead on investigation, mentioning it’s their job. 

In my opinion that sets the stage for the team to deflect backlash to the NFL and Texas DA if no charges are filed (meaning no suspension and likely no release). Beane definitely sounded like he wasn’t expecting any sort of discipline from the league. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

21 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I am talking about the facts of how the current salary cap works, based on negotations with the players union and the owners, and codified in their agreement. 

You certainly can have an opinion of how it should be changed.  But I think the facts of how it  applies in Von Millers contract situation currently are what they are. 

Exactly 

I think it should be changed 👍

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Beane clearly knew a lot of backstory we didn’t about Araiza and you could tell he was pretty torn up that he had to do what he had to do.  

Later on, we all found out why he was torn up by what the mob/media forced him to do. 

I trust him if he says what he says about Von.  I’m sure he knows more about this than we do. 

Re: Araiza, McBean sat at the podium and said they were finding out about this live with the rest of the public and told everybody that Araiza didn't tell the team about the investigation. For that reason alone cutting Araiza is A-OK in my book. 

This is Von's 3rd incident regarding DV. They have text messages, with Von's words about the mother of his child in writing. 

To say this is out of character of the person they know isn't true. This is where I have the issue. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Mango said:

Re: Araiza, McBean sat at the podium and said they were finding out about this live with the rest of the public and told everybody that Araiza didn't tell the team about the investigation. For that reason alone cutting Araiza is A-OK in my book. 

This is Von's 3rd incident regarding DV. They have text messages, with Von's words about the mother of his child in writing. 

To say this is out of character of the person they know isn't true. This is where I have the issue. 

Also with MA: Correct me if my paraphrasing or memory is incorrect, but I believe he originally told the team he was NOT at the party or didn’t have any kind of relations with the girl. Both proven to be a lie. MA getting cut was more his own doing than the “woke virtue media blah blah blah” as others claim. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I think providing a loophole for teams to get out of contracts for players with DV is tough, I am torn. 

On one hand, we should make it easy to remove these guys from the league. 

On the other hand, if players with DV charges are easy to move on from there is something advantageous about keeping them around. If an issue arises they have an easy exit. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think providing a loophole for teams to get out of contracts for players with DV is tough, I am torn. 

On one hand, we should make it easy to remove these guys from the league. 

On the other hand, if players with DV charges are easy to move on from there is something advantageous about keeping them around. If an issue arises they have an easy exit. 

I am not torn. Let’s say Josh Allen (heaven forbid) is convicted of killing somebody in a drunk driving incident. Should the Bills be banished into Cap oblivion for the next half decade or more? Why? What he did was not at all associated with the Buffalo Bills. And….id say the same no matter whose team he played for.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Beane repeatedly said they’re letting police and NFL take the lead on investigation, mentioning it’s their job. 

In my opinion that sets the stage for the team to deflect backlash to the NFL and Texas DA if no charges are filed (meaning no suspension and likely no release). Beane definitely sounded like he wasn’t expecting any sort of discipline from the league. 

That sounds like the Bills are taking the NFL's decision to basically wait and kick the decision to the Bills and kicking it right back to them.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Out of character for what?..

To have a toxic relationship with his long time girl?

Or in being a woman beater?

The first one is a headache, but plenty of good people are stuck in toxic relationships.   The second is obviously very different… but for that, we have to assume and make judgments on what we believe to have happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just confused. 

He was arrested via a warrant, arraigned, booked and released on bond. That is beyond allegation and IS being charged formally. 

So the NFL / Bills are saying "we are waiting a bit after he was charged to see if the whole deal sticks" 

Really, I'm not against a rush to judgement, but to see him on the field and active during this time is really concerning. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm just confused. 

He was arrested via a warrant, arraigned, booked and released on bond. That is beyond allegation and IS being charged formally. 

So the NFL / Bills are saying "we are waiting a bit after he was charged to see if the whole deal sticks" 

Really, I'm not against a rush to judgement, but to see him on the field and active during this time is really concerning. 

We seem to be having a lot of confusion about how our criminal justice system works. Being arrested and arraigned does not make you guilty of anything. It’s just a step in our process. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm just confused. 

A charge is still merely an allegation until convicted

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm just confused. 

worst-case scenario playing out before our very eyes!!!

I am shocked… SHOCKED, I say.

3 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm just confused. 

Agree. Seeing him on the field Sunday is going to be sad and is going to be quite a WTF moment. 

How can I cheer for him? 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Agree. Seeing him on the field Sunday is going to be sad and is going to be quite a WTF moment. 

How can I cheer for him? 

Thats where this becomes a public relations issue and not a criminal justice issue. The short answer is…if you don’t want to cheer for him, don’t. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We seem to be having a lot of confusion about how our criminal justice system works. Being arrested and arraigned does not make you guilty of anything. It’s just a step in our process. 

There also seems to be some confusion of what is required of the general public vs the legal system. 

My employer is not a court of law. My neighbor is not the legal system. If I make the Buffalo News for assaulting my wife, my neighbor has no moral or legal obligation to invite me over for their 4th of July BBQ. And my employer isn't required to wait for a jury to let out to keep me employed. 

Asking people on a message board to wait for due process is not how the world works today, yesterday, or the day the Declaration of Independence was signed. 

Von is not in jail. Von will continue to get paid. People are forming all sorts of their own public opinions. Everything is working as designed. 

Edited by Mango
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

There also seems to be some confusion of what is required of the general public vs the legal system. 

My employer is not a court of law. My neighbor is not the legal system. If I make the Buffalo News for assaulting my wife, my neighbor has no moral or legal obligation to invite me over for their 4th of July BBQ. And my employer isn't required to wait for a jury to let out to keep me employed. 

Asking people on a message board to wait for due process is not how the world works today, yesterday, or the day we signed the Declaration of Independence was signed. 

Von is not in jail. Von will continue to get paid. People are forming all sorts of their own public opinions. Everything is working as designed. 

Eh… maybe in our new Black Mirror society, but your point is valid. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thats where this becomes a public relations issue and not a criminal justice issue. The short answer is…if you don’t want to cheer for him, don’t. 

Of course. It’s a little more complicated though when he’s one of dozens of players on the team. 

It is a personal philosophical conundrum I’m sure many fans are also going to be dealing with. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Of course. It’s a little more complicated though when he’s one of dozens of players on the team. 

It is a personal philosophical conundrum I’m sure many fans are also going to be dealing with. 

Add the fact that Celebs/upper classers get away with sh!t that us middle/lower classers don’t. 

NFL doesn’t give a crap about DV. 

The fact this got VERY quiet, VERY fast had me worried that this was going to be brushed away.

Beane’s presser has me feeling it’s confirmed. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Add the fact that Celebs/upper classers get away with sh!t that us middle/lower classers don’t. 

NFL doesn’t give a crap about DV. 

The fact this got VERY quiet, VERY fast had me worried that this was going to be brushed away.

Beane’s presser has me feeling it’s confirmed. 

My tinfoil hat says the litmus test will be if the recording from the incident sees the light of day. The red herring for me was when Bean said "I think this will stay open for a long time". As long as the case is open that recording is no longer subject to FOIL. If/When this gets tossed that likely means they likely found a way to not release it/make it disappear. 

Just now, Mango said:

My tinfoil hat says the litmus test will be if the recording from the incident sees the light of day. The red herring for me was when Bean said "I think this will stay open for a long time". As long as the case is open that recording is no longer subject to FOIL. If/When this gets tossed that likely means they likely found a way to not release it/make it disappear. 

The thing about that, that was confusing to me was that apparently he was recording first which just seems really odd in that situation. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.