Poor man's Dick Jauron who lucked into the most physically gifted QB ever

Not Applicable

7 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

….Maybe, just maybe when you consistently miss on early round players like Basham, Elam, Epenesa, and destroy the cap by signing aging vets like Miller, Tre and Poyer, this is what happens.

‘McDermott holds a lot of res, but Beane is no GM god.

I don't think Beane complete trades and runs drafts on his own? There will be input by others, in particular McDermott. The Bills have a defensive head coach and have predominantly focused on defense throughout his time here. A new coach would work with Beane on a new philosophy.

I think the Bills can do much better than McDermott. I'm not sure if they can do much better than Beane.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes it is. So now what? Did McDermott build this team? Did Beane? It's a good team but poorly coached in-game. Does this mean you can't keep Beane without McDermott?

I’ve heard Beane say McDermott started trusting the front office more and more. This was probably 2020. I think after 2020 Beane started getting more control and influence because he earned it. 

I honestly don’t know if they keep Beane after firing McDermott. 

As for poorly coached, I definitely don’t agree with that. Overall throughout McDermott’s tenure they are one of the best coached teams in the league. The problem seems to come in crunch time. But a lot of times the players are in position to make plays they just can’t make the play.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve heard Beane say McDermott started trusting the front office more and more. This was probably 2020. I think after 2020 Beane started getting more control and influence because he earned it. 

As for poorly coached, I definitely don’t agree with that. Overall throughout McDermott’s tenure they are one of the best coached teams in the league. The problem seems to come in crunch time. But a lot of times the players are in position to make plays they just can’t make the play.

Good point.

I don’t have a completely fleshed out thought but it seems to me McDermott is: 

a rigid proceduralist; there’s only one right way to do things. Not creative or a trailblazer 

obsessed with being respected not with winning

a bit of a hard-on 

he’s limited and will live in the good to pretty good range but unlikely to sniff great. 

Insipid 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Again. We have a team capable of winning a Super Bowl. Beane is why. 

We're literally going to miss the playoffs. What are you talking about?

I think McD is the bigger problem...but there have definitely been some misfires with Beane. WR has especially been a huge problem. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

Jauron winning 7 games with Edwards and Losman and those rosters is one of the most impressive things ever. 

bottom line, most defense coaches will make the same decisions as McDermott. He also deserves credit for Allen developing under him and they have built a good culture around him. But it seems like things have plateaued under him. 

I do also wonder how a first time head coach handles some of these personalities as well. 

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

We're literally going to miss the playoffs. What are you talking about?

I think McD is the bigger problem...but there have definitely been some misfires with Beane. WR has especially been a huge problem. 

Every GM makes mistakes. Beane built a team that was expected to contend for a title. But he doesn't coach them.

Oh vey! Posters fondly remembering the Dick Jauron era (even a little bit)!  Jauron wasn’t the worst Bills’ HC of all time but I hated him more than any of the others. Offense wasn’t good. Defense wasn’t good. Special teams were fantastic (thanks Bobby April!). Ultra conservative, good enough to eke out a few wins against bad teams and get absolutely hammered by good teams.  No thanks.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

This post could almost infringe on Beane because to your point, the thought of some of those drought era teams with Josh is a bit scary. I think we probably had more talent on several of those teams. I wish I could see Allen throw to a Lee Evan’s type once in my life.

Yeah, Allen on that '04 team with Moulds, Evans, McGahee and that D!

Would have been one of the best Bills teams ever.  

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

There's no way to know, but what would Jauron's record be with this roster?

He went 7-9 practically every year with zero QB and a pretty pitiful roster.

My guess? He would do a little worse than McDermott, maybe 10-11 wins each year but not much different.

If that sounds crazy just imagine Josh Allen over Losman or trent equals 3 wins a season. 

No joke, looking back in hindsight what Jauron did to get 7 wins out of those dreadful rosters might be nothing short of miraculous. 

In a division with Brady/Belichick, no less. Frankly I respect the man a lot more these days... 

2 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

No joke, looking back in hindsight what Jauron did to get 7 wins out of those dreadful rosters might be nothing short of miraculous. 

In a division with Brady/Belichick, no less. Frankly I respect the man a lot more these days... 

Wasn't it a running meme on this site after Jauron said "it's tough to win in this league" ? 

Nowadays coaches league wide say stuff like that, including McD, and nobody bats an eye. 

Man, calling him a poor man's Dick Jauron is too far. He was absolutely terrible as a coach in every facet. A Ralph bargain basement special. If you want to say McDermott was same level I guess i could see that. But debating he's sub-jauronimo level is a bridge too far for me!

23 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Wasn't it a running meme on this site after Jauron said "it's tough to win in this league" ? 

Nowadays coaches league wide say stuff like that, including McD, and nobody bats an eye. 

Never thought we'd look back and say Dick Jauron was a pioneer... a man ahead of his time! 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Better coached team? Or simply a better roster than most of the teams we beat? Can't even say that this yr as we have lost numerous games we had no business losing and its 100% on the bald clappers head

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Man, calling him a poor man's Dick Jauron is too far. He was absolutely terrible as a coach in every facet. A Ralph bargain basement special. If you want to say McDermott was same level I guess i could see that. But debating he's sub-jauronimo level is a bridge too far for me!

Juaron never had half the roster McDermott has

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Sad it took so long for so many of you to see McDermott was the problem. A vocal minority of us on this board have been trashed for seeing earlier what you all only now see.

I've been suspended twice for doing what everyone else on this board does..SHARING MY OPINION 

13 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Let's be honest...that's what McDermott is.

All the coaches we've criticized never had the talent McDermott has.

Put Allen on the Mike Mularkey 2004 Bills - that team possibly wins the Super Bowl. Put Allen on any Jauron teams that went 7-9 every year with Losman/Edwards - those teams make the playoffs annually. Doug Marrone's 2014 Bills that went 9-7 with a lights-out defense and Kyle Orton - that team goes deep into the playoffs. Rex Ryan took Mark Freaking Sanchez to the AFC Championship twice. What does he do with Allen?

Why does this guy continue to get credit for turning the team around when it's clearly a case of him simply getting a HOF QB by chance? How many games does his defense have to blow? How many more stupid timeouts? How many more?

You realize he took Tyrod Taylor to the playoffs, right?  Tyrod freaking Taylor.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Let's be honest...that's what McDermott is.

All the coaches we've criticized never had the talent McDermott has.

Put Allen on the Mike Mularkey 2004 Bills - that team possibly wins the Super Bowl. Put Allen on any Jauron teams that went 7-9 every year with Losman/Edwards - those teams make the playoffs annually. Doug Marrone's 2014 Bills that went 9-7 with a lights-out defense and Kyle Orton - that team goes deep into the playoffs. Rex Ryan took Mark Freaking Sanchez to the AFC Championship twice. What does he do with Allen?

Why does this guy continue to get credit for turning the team around when it's clearly a case of him simply getting a HOF QB by chance? How many games does his defense have to blow? How many more stupid timeouts? How many more?

Wished I could like this post a thousand times.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.