Bills at Eagles 1996

Buffalo03

Continuing on with upcoming Bills opponents where we are playing them the coming week. This week I am going with Bills at Eagles from 1996. I remember watching this game as a 10 year old and seeing it come right down to the wire with the Eagles inside the Bills 10 yard line being so happy about the Bruce Smith closing sack of Detmer at the end. This was the year the Eagles switched from the Kelly green to their current uniforms and this was Jim Kelly's last season. He only threw for 112 yards in this game but Thurman had a good day going for 90 yards and a TD. This game was played pretty much the exact same time of the season as tomorrow's game is. This one in week 11 and tomorrow's being in week 12. We improved to 7-3 in this game and got to 9-3 before losing 3 straight and then bearing the Chiefs in the final week of the season to secure a playoff game against the Jaguars in the Wild Card. If anyone has any fun memories of this game, feel free to share and as always....Go Bills. Let's put a streak together and get into the playoffs 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

thanks for posting this full game!

had no clue Eric Moulds was on the team in ‘96.  For some  reason I thought he was drafted the following year.

No, 96 was his rookie year. He actually played a year with Kelly lol. He didn't make much of an impact until year 3 when he exploded in 98. But yeah, a lot of people forget Moulds was on that 96 team

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No, 96 was his rookie year. He actually played a year with Kelly lol. He didn't make much of an impact until year 3 when he exploded in 98. But yeah, a lot of people forget Moulds was on that 96 team

Yes he had only 20 catches and 2 receiving TDs.  Primary KR and has 52 KO returns and a 97 yd KO return for a TD.  Reed was back from injury year of 95 and Bills signed Quinn Early as Bill Brooks replacement so they got all the reps.  Tasker, Russell Copeland and Moilds got turns as 3rd WR.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

What happened to that Matt Stephens dude? What a game by him. Don't remember him at all.

Stevens.  He played with some friends of mine at app. He had some drug issues for a while, totaled his bike in the mid 00's and completely ***** himself up. Paralyzed. I remember he regained most of it and would go out to lunch with a coworker who was the other starting safety at App with him.

-----

Also I remember Gabe Northern getting a field goal block way back around that time and helping seal the deal. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, boyst said:

Stevens.  He played with some friends of mine at app. He had some drug issues for a while, totaled his bike in the mid 00's and completely ***** himself up. Paralyzed. I remember he regained most of it and would go out to lunch with a coworker who was the other starting safety at App with him.

-----

Also I remember Gabe Northern getting a field goal block way back around that time and helping seal the deal. 

Yeah, Stevens was good. It's a shame he got into drugs the way he did. He could have had a great career

Edited by Buffalo03

24 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Man I miss the old “NFL on NBC” theme music. So iconic and brings back nostalgia of watching football In my youth. Great announcers back then too 

Charlie Jones has a 1950’s vibe to him as far as how he announces the games.  They don’t make em like that anymore!

So good to see these guys again.

Thurman squirming through the line.

Bruce looming like a great white shark.

The way the ball almost slips, controlled, out of Kelly's hand.  

Tasker's season as the utility knife.

Marv in command.

Bruce DeHaven!

Time flies!

Edited by Ray Stonada
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

The Bills vs Eagles game I remember from childhood was Cunningham vs Kelly.  I remember winning but the play that stands out was Cunningham getting away from Bruce in the end one and throwing a 98 yarder to Barnett.

That play! That was a safety. Cunningham had eyes in the back of his head.

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing on with upcoming Bills opponents where we are playing them the coming week. This week I am going with Bills at Eagles from 1996. I remember watching this game as a 10 year old and seeing it come right down to the wire with the Eagles inside the Bills 10 yard line being so happy about the Bruce Smith closing sack of Detmer at the end. This was the year the Eagles switched from the Kelly green to their current uniforms and this was Jim Kelly's last season. He only threw for 112 yards in this game but Thurman had a good day going for 90 yards and a TD. This game was played pretty much the exact same time of the season as tomorrow's game is. This one in week 11 and tomorrow's being in week 12. We improved to 7-3 in this game and got to 9-3 before losing 3 straight and then bearing the Chiefs in the final week of the season to secure a playoff game against the Jaguars in the Wild Card. If anyone has any fun memories of this game, feel free to share and as always....Go Bills. Let's put a streak together and get into the playoffs 

Jim Kelly as QB really hurt the Bills toward the end of 1995 and 1996.  During this time his body was breaking down but he was tough (and stubborn) as hell and stuck it out.  In 1996, he was especially bad.  

The Bills defense during these years was probably the most talented unit Kelly ever teamed with.  Unfortunately, the offense hit a lull around this time. 

9 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Charlie Jones was a great but underrated play by play guy

Never appreciated him as a kid but he has a very cool announcer voice.  

7 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Great choice.

These were a few years I really liked the Eagles.  To some extent it was due to Super Bowl burnout over the Bills and the fact the Eagles were and up and coming team in the NFC East and they hated the Cowboys as well.  

The week prior the Eagles had a really big win in Dallas.  Where it looked like they got that monkey off their back and were easily going to win the NFC East.

The Eagles made the playoffs that season but still kind of underachieved.  It was a great win by Buffalo against a team with all the momentum in the world that day.  

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

For sure. He was also involved in a lot of Bills historic games. 81 Wild Card victory over the Jets, 89 loss to Cleveland with the infamous Ronnie Harmon drop, and of course the Oilers comeback in 93

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Jim Kelly as QB really hurt the Bills toward the end of 1995 and 1996.  During this time his body was breaking down but he was tough (and stubborn) as hell and stuck it out.  In 1996, he was especially bad.  

The Bills defense during these years was probably the most talented unit Kelly ever teamed with.  Unfortunately, the offense hit a lull around this time. 

Yeah, seeing those Kelly stats at the beginning of this game coming into it 4TDs and 12INTs. Yikes. He ended with 14TDs and 19INTs. He was definitely at the end of his career 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This is a very good point. I was old enough to appreciate how great Kelly was in his prime and how crushing it was that the Bills never achieved a championship with him or the other "generational talents" on those teams. But even by 1994 he was well on the downswing.  I think like a lot of Bills fans of that era I thought that karma would finally give us a break and we would win a SB, but unfortunately that crew never could get it done.  The real rude awakening about Kelly for me happened in that loss to the Steelers in the Playoffs of the 1995 season. He wasnt the same player in that crucial game. In the 1996 season his TD passes just went off a cliff and even a deluded fan like me could see it was over. I actually went to the playoff game vs the Jags where Kelly was carted off. Sad way to wrap up a career!

As for Charlie Jones, he was awesome! Don Criqui and Dick Enberg as well were great. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 11:38 AM, RiotAct said:

thanks for posting this full game!

had no clue Eric Moulds was on the team in ‘96.  For some  reason I thought he was drafted the following year.

He was primarily a kickoff returner his rookie and many thought we made a mistake taking him.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:10 PM, Bferra13 said:

What happened to that Matt Stephens dude? What a game by him. Don't remember him at all.

We cut him and he played in New England as I recall. I remember thinking we got a steal when drafted him as he had good measurables.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.