What is Your Recipe for Philly Cheese Steak — I Assume that is THE Obvious Game Meal

HIT BY SPIKES

On 11/21/2023 at 6:49 PM, Phils n Bills said:

I know Donkeys when I see it 

Hit up Reading Terminal and grab a Carmen’s cheesesteak and a Dinics roast beef. That’s living 

The best cheesesteak I have ever eaten was at a place in Reading.

On 11/21/2023 at 12:49 AM, Gugny said:

Shaved steak. Salt-n-pepa. 

Wiz - wit. 

Here’s the game changer … hear me out … Miracle Whip. 

You’ll thank me later. 

This is thanks to @CountryCletus  

Try the Whip with cheddar dogs, super underrated condiment.

On 11/20/2023 at 10:58 PM, Bad Things said:

I'm with you 100%, Honda.

We can talk all we want about Philly Cheese Steaks  (I miss them so much here in NZ) but... on gameday it's Buffalo Rochester food.

(However, I think it was my wife that lost us that Jaguars game, when I came home to see that she made Ranch dressing because we didn't have any Blue Cheese in the house.)

To be clear ranch is a delicious salad dressing and dipping sauce, it just has no place near Buffalo wings...

On 11/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, BullBuchanan said:

What I do is not "authentic", but I don't care because it tastes better. If you don't want to spring for ribeye and happen to live near an asian market, they'll usually have presliced frozen beef like this that's used for bulgogi, hotpot, strif fry etc. It works excellently for a cheesesteak. just slice it into strips and you're good to go.

I carmelize onions which takes about 40 minutes and in a separate pan I'll do peppers, mushrooms, and spicy cherry peppers (like I said, not authentic, but definitely better to me) and then I'll deglaze them with some vermouth. I like Costanzos rolls when I can get them, but anything with some chew should work. I split them open and toast just lightly enough on the oven to get a little crisp on the outside of the roll - it's very easy to go too far on this.

Your beef will only take a couple minutes to come together. I use beef tallow as my fat which adds a lot more beefy flavor and season with salt pepper and garlic powder. Create a pile for each sandwich and mix in your veggies, add provolone on top and steam with a dash of water and a lid for your pan. Then just toss your open roll (with whatever condiments you like. I'm a fan of Sandwhich Pal Horseradish) on the pile and use a long turner/spatula to scoop under the whole thing and flip it over. the cheese will be inside the roll instead of on top in this version, but it's the best method I've found.

Note the example below is an early version where I didn't use the carmelized onions (sauteed instead) and I didn't add the cherry peppers either.

ADCreHfTY68RLAvtQLv1xMuvJ0kqc_hKIKV_5mEq

ADCreHf7BFQqym9_E--R_rSVXeSblrYDaJ70pLXX

imageuploadedbytapatalk1364072401-526186

freeze it slightly or buy it pre-sliced (what I do)

No, that's probably the better quality version at a fraction of the cost. 

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Some of the worst cheesesteaks are ones I have had in Philly. How do you go cheese whiz over just a nice melted provolone?  

Provolone will do, but the best cheesesteaks I’ve ever eaten have had Cooper sharp american.  It’s got the creamy sweetness of American, but also aged for a bit of sharpness.  Very nice 👍 

That said, the whiz is not terrible with quality chopped ribeye, a solid roll, and some sautéed onions, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Some of the worst cheesesteaks are ones I have had in Philly. How do you go cheese whiz over just a nice melted provolone?  

Because it thoroughly integrates with the meat 

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia

Those 8 thick pork chops have now been marinating at the back of the fridge since Tuesday or Wednesday Morning with a flip every morning.

I think I will grill them up this Afternoon and put them in the fridge for thin slicing tomorrow.

Resisting buying the bread today and will go tomorrow morning for fresh bread at 4 Italian bakeries.

2 buns at each.

8 different kinds of buns to go with the 8 pork chops.

I wonder if I should fry up the Rabe today so it can marinate over night with all of the garlic I am frying it with?

So I did it all when I realized I had enough pork for 8 big sangwhitches.

Unbelievably delicious.

I get now what the fried rabe with garlic adds to the recipe.

I have 8 different fresh buns.

I began with the dense Portuguese.

i am going to have another for supper and perhaps a third as a late snackotch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

So I did it all when I realized I had enough pork for 8 big sangwhitches.

Unbelievably delicious.

I get now what the fried rabe with garlic adds to the recipe.

I have 8 different fresh buns.

I began with the dense Portuguese.

i am going to have another for supper and perhaps a third as a late snackotch.

Better than a cheesesteak amirite?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Better than a cheesesteak amirite?

No doubt about it.

The sharp provolone I carved from a block really makes it.

Cheesewhiz is for peasants.

5 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

On a more important note, should we eat our opponents food?

I like clam chowder and lobster rolls but I’m not eating them when we play the Pats.

When I eat opponents food I also fart with vigour and purpose.

I pretend I am farting in the face of the opponent’s QB or crop dusting their entire sideline of coaches, players and staff.

There….does that make you feel better?

Edited by HIT BY SPIKES
  • Haha (+1) 1

Got the last two sandwiches set up.

I keep the sliced buns separate but put the pork covered with garlic rabe and then covered with one of the two types of Italian Provolone ready to pop in the microwave for 55 seconds and then gently placed on the two different buns at the two kick offs with love.

Just now, NoName said:

Cooking it on a cast iron surface is a must.

Never saw a single cheesesteak shop in Philly use cast iron.  Everyone uses steel flat tops. 

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Oh wow, I get it now. 

So we just made ribeye cheeseteaks at halftime...

Incredible! 

I was walking around thinking I was making good cheese steaks, having no idea what I was missing!

do no deli meat?

On 11/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, Tenhigh said:

How about some mushrooms in there for good measure? I think the roll you want is ciabatta.

Mine is very similar:

Ribeye with salt pepper garlic powder, grilled, thin sliced then salted again after rest.

Ciabatta roll, garlic buttered and then browned on the grill.

Saute baby bella mushrooms and onions 

Add steak, mushrooms/onions bottom of grilled roll, melt and lightly brown cheese under broiler.

Add a light coat of Peter Lugers steak sauce to top of roll.

Combine and then eat until you feel like you are gonna throw up.

Wow, I just finished dinner and this made me hungry again :)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.