Clarissa Thompson admits to fabricating sideline reports.

Gregg

This is a bigger deal if she was actually reporting real news (by real news I mean not sports/interesting side/back stories from players like what there favorite sandwich is)

It's not like her sideline gig was what sal capaccio does reporting on injuries and players getting benched and what not

Her job was filler content, it's a big ole nothing burger 

• Agree 1

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I realize that the halftime coach interviews are a joke, as evidenced by my posting a ChatGPT version of an interview with McD. Pretty much every coach does some variation of that depending on the exact circumstances of the game. Halftime coach-speak is worthy of the Captain Obvious and Captain Vague awards. So what's the big deal if she fudged it and just made it up?

On the other hand, a lie is a lie, and one whose job is to report things should report them accurately, regardless of whether it's the main story or merely filler. As easily as I can dismiss it because it's just a fluff piece, I can also ask why she didn't simply say, "I couldn't catch up with the coach, but based on the first half, I'd expect [whatever she reported the coach saying]." She delivers the same content without lying, and the fact that she's doing her own analysis might give her a little street cred too.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I realize that the halftime coach interviews are a joke, as evidenced by my posting a ChatGPT version of an interview with McD. Pretty much every coach does some variation of that depending on the exact circumstances of the game. Halftime coach-speak is worthy of the Captain Obvious and Captain Vague awards. So what's the big deal if she fudged it and just made it up?

On the other hand, a lie is a lie, and one whose job is to report things should report them accurately, regardless of whether it's the main story or merely filler. As easily as I can dismiss it because it's just a fluff piece, I can also ask why she didn't simply say, "I couldn't catch up with the coach, but based on the first half, I'd expect [whatever she reported the coach saying]." She delivers the same content without lying, and the fact that she's doing her own analysis might give her a little street cred too.

The issue is the broadcasting networks are primary source of revenue for teams these days not fans in the stands.

There is agreement between NFL and broadcasting networks to cooperate and some coaches do refuse which makes their jobs more difficult.

NFL should fine coaches who do not cooperate - if they say there is not enough time then add time to half time another 5 minutes and this gives everyone - players, team staff, fans in stands more time to do what they need to do.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Have you ever listen to that podcast? Allen and Daboll have been on doing Deez nuts jokes. Are they possibly gay and/ or sex offenders? 

it’s not that deep of a podcast. 

Exactly and this is why athletes/ people hate talking to the media. The second you show personality, you get in trouble for it. 

imagine if everyone acted like hockey players and showed zero personality. It would be so boring. 

Just wait and see the number of pages this thread will create, wait to read all the people that are "outraged" over this.  Watching the collateral damage and over-reactions is more entraining than the original "story" which is really a non-event.

• Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Just wait and see the number of pages this thread will create, wait to read all the people that are "outraged" over this.

After two days and nearly 100 posts, the total number of people who are outraged appears to be.......... Zero.

Have you considered that all this outrage that you seek exists less in the real world and more in your mind?

Perhaps it was even placed there by folks who want you to be outraged by other folks' imaginary outrage.

What an outrageous thought....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You think she's going to get on Pardon My Take to  complain that the networks only give lip service to women in journalism by dolling them up as sideline reporters to give 30 second spots of annoyed coaches saying nothing interesting?

yeah, I guess she could have done that instead.......

Here's a nugget for you and all those whining over this:

Thompson explained that she “made up a report” at the time (back in 2008):

“I was covering every Lions game because I was a baby reporter and got all the s— games and it was the year they were 0–16 and [Detroit coach] Rod Marinelli at halftime, I was like, ‘Oh Coach, what adjustments are you gonna make at halftime?’ He goes, ‘That’s a great perfume you’re wearing,'” Thompson said at the time. “I was like, ‘Oh f—, this isn’t gonna work.’ I’m not kidding; I made up a report.”

stop clutching the pearls, this woman is trying to teach you something...

Why must you be an ass when nobody is looking for a fight?

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Another woman journalist, commenting on this woman journalist has already conceded that NFL women journalists have been relegated to being "eye candy" i.e. "sideline reporters".   

All Clarissa Thompson has done is point out how phony this all is.  A token female prop tasked with eliciting inane BS form NFL HC's during games occasionally does not want to be bothered by the network's nod to the ladies who may be watching and refuses to talk, so the sideline reporter simply fills in the blanks on the HC's interview script.

again, good for her.  This is all just network cynicism being exposed.  Give these women  something real to do as reporters or spare us all this goofy display. 

I think people forget the networks that televise football are part of the entertainment world. Everything about the entertainment world is phony these days, from the way people look to the authenticity of everything we’re being told. Music is hardly legitimate anymore, as far as hearing an actual human performance. It’s all about image, and I don’t condone the behavior, but the business itself has created this monster. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I think people forget the networks that televise football are part of the entertainment world. Everything about the entertainment world is phony these days, from the way people look to the authenticity of everything we’re being told. Music is hardly legitimate anymore, as far as hearing an actual human performance. It’s all about image, and I don’t condone the behavior, but the business itself has created this monster. 

I think "monster" is a bit much.  She was trying to do her job and the guy she was interviewing wouldn't answer benign standard questions--he hit on her instead.  So she made up a stock answer he would have given had he not been an a-hole.  

maybe she should reported that Marinelli hit on her, live during the broadcast?

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Does he serve any other purpose on this board?  That’s his mo 

it's a simple discussion, you should probably stay out all the same..

On 11/18/2023 at 10:56 AM, Limeaid said:

On a previous TS/SCI job I was instructed to lie where I worked for it was declared location and agency was classified.  The location was a known government facility and nothing prevented someone from observing cars driving into facility and recording license plates (there was a report on number of vehicles entering/leaving on a day by county agency and government denied all those people worked there).  We were instructed to lie where we worked to all but our family and the hundreds of people who worked for my company were supposed to be working at a small office several miles away.  We worked with other companies who had their own cover stories which were different.  

I had a friend from outside work who said lets meet for lunch for we work nearby each other but each time he asked I made a excuse for there was not enough time for me to leave facility, get to car, leave facility and get to restaurant and then after lunch return and find parking spot and go thru gates, etc to get back to work.  Work did not allow me to have a long lunch.   Eventually he told me "I know you are lying" and stopped calling me.

Later on I discovered reason for lie I was instructed to tell - it is because it saved the government money.  In lieu of taxes normally paid government did contribution to local jurisdiction based on number of declared people working there.  Because the companies working there had much smaller offices they also paid to jurisdiction lower property taxes.

I stopped telling people official lie and just told them I work at multiple locations locally and remotely.  This was something that not liked and I told them the lie were instructed to tell was full of holes.     Ironically when position was terminated I received a letter from agency in open mail thanking me for my service - an agency which was supposed to be secret.

When I was taught the Honor Code ("I will not, cheat, or steal..."), I was given the impression that it was inflexible.

Yet, the army often includes a "Deception Plan" as part of an operations plan.  Pragmatically, we attempt to deceive the enemy all the time.  Apparently, the Honor Code doesn't apply when dealing with enemies.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I was taught the Honor Code ("I will not, cheat, or steal..."), I was given the impression that it was inflexible.

Yet, the army often includes a "Deception Plan" as part of an operations plan.  Pragmatically, we attempt to deceive the enemy all the time.  Apparently, the Honor Code doesn't apply when dealing with enemies.  

This deception cost my wife's school system large amount of money with them cutting jobs in lieu of salary cuts due to it so you can see why I was disturbed about it.

• Like (+1) 1

As a man I think it is very selfish by Clarissa Thompson. Women have really come along way in professional sports they work very hard to gain credibility as knowledgeable in a sports business once dominated by only men. For her to do that was very selfish. I don’t believe other women in the sports business do that. Just Clarissa Thompson making a fool of herself in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.