Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

51 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Fans just being emotional. You don’t fire a guy that has 4 straight double digit win seasons and 3 division titles and fire him after one bad season lol. Very bad way to run your organization. 

It’s really ridiculous when you think about it lol. 

I’m beginning to think that you’re a McDermott blood relative. 

Audience Reaction GIF by Originals

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Fans just being emotional. You don’t fire a guy that has 4 straight double digit win seasons and 3 division titles and fire him after one bad season lol. Very bad way to run your organization. 

Actually, I was in agreement with you that he "runs the ship." I do think that his ship has sailed and that he should be fired.

• Like (+1) 1

It was NEEDED.  McD has built a top team and when healthy the defense was top 5.  If they fire McD he will have another HCing job in a heartbeat. 

The defense has been playing well considering all the injuries to the main players. The offense has been playing like crap until Josh Allen plays lights out at times.

Dan Orlavasky of ESPN   

Edited by Nihilarian

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Anyone who wants McDermott to be the coach of this team next season is accepting a team that will almost certainly underperform and make crucial mistakes at key moments.

I'm done with any Bills team that has McDermott as it's coach

You forgot, ...make the playoffs and compete for the division. I'm not saying I'm entirely sold on McDermott, but I want one more year with a new OC and hopefully better injury luck.

Mike Tomlin-   17 seasons, one championship, .637 win %

John Harbaugh, 16 seasons, one championship, .611 win %

Sean McDermott, 7 seasons, no championships, .626 win %

I guess all it takes to have tenure is to win one superbowl regardless of how the team does after that.  

4-5 in the playoffs. Too many dumb mistakes/poor in game decisions/bad time outs. Prehistoric philosophy of defense/offense.  Wasted two years to realize they had zero talent for his qb.  Unwillingness to adapt, give other players a shot and  owe up to mistakes.   I've seen enough to be willing to risk getting someone worse  I'm not satisfied with a team that needs their qb to be Superman with no mistakes during a playoff run as the only opportunity to win  Heck Josh would have that on many rosters in the league  He is that talented   McDermott will waste it with his defensive philosophy which the league always seems to exploit in critical moments or do we need to rehash them yet again?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A few may recall me writing this in 2020, at which point I was universally condemned, but now most fans would agree!

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

So, yeah, LAMP! Suck it 🙂

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I voted yes. Simply because I truly think the only way he saves his job is if the Bills make the playoffs. And at 5-5 now and with the current schedule of teams left to play in KC, Philly, Dallas, LA Chargers and Miami that would be a heck of a run to go 5-2 or better down the stretch and make the playoffs. Talk about an enjoyable run. 

• Like (+1) 1

I voted No, but that’s meant as a snapshot of right now. There’s still time for McD to change my mind. The 12 man penalty costing us that game is a fireable offense IMO. But with no clear replacement on staff, there’s no point in firing him now - that won’t get us into the playoffs. 

If we stay on roughly this trajectory, McD should be fired as soon as we’re mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. If we turn it around, I’m open to bringing him back, depending on the specifics of the turnaround. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.